Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TV that support 1080p, but I see the PS3 a 1080i. what can it be?.. is it possible my HDMI cable does not support this configuration.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
there is 0 chance that your cable is limiting your signal......even no-name $5 eBay HDMI cables are good for 1440p

as others have mentioned you could check the output on the PS3 / TV

also, what is your TV model? it may support 1080p signals but may be only 1080i in it's maximum resolution

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazerpa View Post
I have a TV that support 1080p, but I see the PS3 a 1080i. what can it be?.. is it possible my HDMI cable does not support this configuration.

Thanks
Go under the video settings and make sure to check the 1080p box. Are you SURE your TV supports it and has a 1920x1080 resolution?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
1080i = fail, run either 720p or 1080p (if you can)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear
View Post

1080i = fail, run either 720p or 1080p (if you can)

why is 1080i fail?

Seems to work just fine on my PS3/TV...

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget
View Post

why is 1080i fail?

Seems to work just fine on my PS3/TV...

Because its most likely not your TV's native resolution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

Because its most likely not your TV's native resolution.

and interlaced is almost never a good idea

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by topshooter View Post
and interlaced is almost never a good idea
How come?

Sorry not big on TV info.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget View Post
How come?

Sorry not big on TV info.
It is how the image is projected. The interlaced res is unstable. It shows you odd lines of an image, and then the even lines of the image. Where as progressive res shows you the full picture, thus being more stable/better quality. even tho 1080i is a higher res, the image is usually distorted So.. 720p vs 1080i, 720p is more stable and not as distorted if at all.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post
also, what is your TV model? it may support 1080p signals but may be only 1080i in it's maximum resolution
That makes no sense because 1080i (the resolution) is not 16:9. All 1080i TVs have a maximum resolution of either 1920x1080, 1366x768 or 1280x720.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear View Post
It is how the image is projected. The interlaced res is unstable. It shows you odd lines of an image, and then the even lines of the image. Where as progressive res shows you the full picture, thus being more stable/better quality. even tho 1080i is a higher res, the image is usually distorted So.. 720p vs 1080i, 720p is more stable and not as distorted if at all.
720p video is delivered at 59.94 frames per second, and so is 1080i. If you view a progressive Blu-ray as 1080i, it'll simply be "declared" interlaced, but it won't actually be interlaced. The video will be separated into two fields, but they'll be separate.

It's not unstable, that's a very, very wrong thing to say. Interlacing on its own does not say which field comes first - that's something which is declared in the video. (TFF vs BFF)

The only difference between interlacing and progressive is that interlacing will show all odd or even lines first (0,2,4,6), and then what's left (1,3,5,7), while progressive displays them in order (0,1,2,3,4)...

1080i is not distorted. It's true it's not 16:9, but it's simply resized. Most HDTV broadcasts are 1080i and are resized in the same way. 16:9, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 DVDs are also not stored as their respective aspect ratios, and are resized on playback to achieve the correct aspect ratio. There's no distortion.

Video has got to be the area with most misinformation and the largest amount of people who think they know what they're talking about, but actually don't.

In short: 1080i is in most cases only transferred as interlaced, but is actually progressive. What that means is it has less horizontal resolution than 1080p (1440 vs 1920), that's all. It's better than 720p. It's not distorted or unstable at all.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear
View Post

But I bet $100 you can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What's odd is on my 19" Syncmaster, I can only use res's above 576p with the component cables, of which only 1080i has no ghosting around text ('p' resolutions give a weird shadowing). So 1080i actually works best for me.

That said when games run at 720p I don't notice it anyway, just bugs me on the main system menus.

Nice info Coma.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Am I missing something?

The title clearly states 1080i why is everyone mentioning progressive????

OP: Choose 720p if your tv supports it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raveneon
View Post

Am I missing something?

The title clearly states 1080i why is everyone mentioning progressive????

OP: Choose 720p if your tv supports it.

If you read the whole thread you would have found out that 1080i is actually better than 720p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts