Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know any information on when the PS3 is going to be released...I have not heard anything on this in a really long time...Also does anyone know when it might go on for presale...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider_2001

Does any one know any information on when the PS3 is going to be released...I have not heard anything on this in a really long time...Also does anyone know when it might go on for presale...

presale.....u mean reserve one?, you can do that already....but i think you can just keep adding to the reserve so you can get the ps3 for $0 when it comes out

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what I meant reserve one to make sure I get it for the release date...
Where can it be preordered at??

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

yeah thats what I meant reserve one to make sure I get it for the release date...
Where can it be preordered at??

Pretty much anywhere i think, but i know for a fact the gamestop and EBgames does it....i think you need to pay like $20 or something around there

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I will check with them and then if they do...Reps to you my friend

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, all I've heard lately is that its going to be released in August but im not really sure. The reason they keep pushing it back is cause their working on an internet system and get the bugs out.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Sony still has not provided an official release date or price, so anything you hear from anyone is just speculation. Although anyone who still thinks that it will be released this spring is dreaming, this Xmas season is a more likely candidate. And the chances of it being under $400 are zilch, the Blu-Ray drives cost too much. Expect it to be north of $400; if it's not, happy surprise for you later!

• Rep+
Reactions: Strider_2001

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I just checked both gamestop and ebgames and you can't preoder online... you can only sign up for more info... do you have to go to the store to reserve one?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix -g-

i don't know but i think somewhere in 2007

It will definitly cost at least 400 dollars and probably more like 500. If they are only releasing one model (unlike 360) then the blueray will be the cause of the high starting price.

·
Registered
219 Posts
nothing said, but becasue the hardware inside it is g\\soo awesome they're estimated to go for anything between 400-650$ so =P whatever thats not a good wiondow of price, but it what sony says is probable -trey

·
Registered
227 Posts
In PSM they had meetings with developers and they told them no more then $399. I think that's pretty reliable. Remeber that the hard drive will be an add on. I'm betting $399. Sony's not stupid. They may lose a lot of money initially on it but they will definitely earn it back and more, plus this is a move for them to establish the blu ray format.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that is a bad move about the hard drive being optional...Either that or have 2 different systems like Xbox 360 did and have one with and one without and make it different prices...

·
Banned
43 Posts
Quote:

I think that is a bad move about the hard drive being optional...Either that or have 2 different systems like Xbox 360 did and have one with and one without and make it different prices...

Personally, I'd rather add my own harddrive to my system, have a multiple system choice like Microsoft...

No real grounds for that though, just a personal choice! I liked the idea of the expansion bay in the back of the PS2, I was able to throw in a 40 gig hd I had hanging around and it goes sweet

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think sony wants a system selling for around 500 with the drive. Better marketing to sell it seperately, especially since by the time it comes out, the 360 might drop in price.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer7

In PSM they had meetings with developers and they told them no more then $399. I think that's pretty reliable. Remeber that the hard drive will be an add on. I'm betting $399. Sony's not stupid. They may lose a lot of money initially on it but they will definitely earn it back and more, plus this is a move for them to establish the blu ray format.

Like heck they will earn it back. They get only so much from games and periphials, and blue ray drives make well over $400 to make, more like $1000+. Thats alot of loss, just from the optical drive alone. I dont know what Sony is trying to pull, but its just too expensive to make for what they want to sell it at, bad move.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah but look at it this way, by using it in the ps3 sony has just established a huge market for blu-ray. They can stand to take the loss if it means it will make blu-ray mainstream. They're not only going to get back their losses from games and pheripherals, but they need to ensure the success of this new format, from which they can really profit. Don't think for a second that they would be including this technology in the ps3 if they couldn't net significant profits from it in the long run.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer7

Yeah but look at it this way, by using it in the ps3 sony has just established a huge market for blu-ray. They can stand to take the loss if it means it will make blu-ray mainstream. They're not only going to get back their losses from games and pheripherals, but they need to ensure the success of this new format, from which they can really profit. Don't think for a second that they would be including this technology in the ps3 if they couldn't net significant profits from it in the long run.

That may be, but what about affordable blu-ray some choose not to buy the PS3? Sony's taking a huge loss, again. And more companies so far have backed HD-DVD over Blu-Ray.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts