Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I have a full 1 year membership on playstation plus.i just wanted to know if a ssd hard drive will make a bigger difference over a mechanical drive as far as playing downloaded games.i have the ps3 slim with 120 gb hard drive and it is almost full.i want to install a 512gb ssd or 1 tb samsung m8(if ssd doesnt work for me).thanks in advance for your help

·
I took this profile pic
4,007 Posts
good luck

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Some PS3 games uses texture streaming, that's where you'll see the most improvement. I have really bad pop-in when I was using the stock 80gb hdd when playing Assassin's Creed 3. I upgraded the drive to a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb hybrid, it really seem to have reduced the pop-in.

Here's someone testing Rage on PS3 with SSD.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
No, a standard SSD is the best choice in terms of speed, but when I bought the Seagate hybrid, SSD prices were still around $1/gb, it was too expensive to buy a 240gb SSD, so I bought a 500GB Momentus XT instead. My rationale behind that is that most game would have less than 4GB of data per area/map, so once the map loaded, the data would be in the 4GB NAND, that would help reduce texture pop-in for games that uses streaming texture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very informative .thank you.i have the original 120 gb in it now which is almost full do to playstation plus lol.i was looking at the samsung spinpoint 1 tb drive.i wish ssds' would come down a little more fo the 500 gb versions at least.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Shoved a spare 120GB SSD I had into our PS3 and it is much faster, install times, loading times, some 240GB SSD's are quite cheap now, I would go with one of them if 120GB won't be enough..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Honestly I think you'd be alot better buyign a mechanical drive either 500Gb or 1Tb because if you want to have a decent number of games ready to play then you need the space and if you want to download full games from the PSN store it's a must. The cost of a similar sized SSD isn't really worth the gains and with the money you save you can sign up to playstation plus and get a tonne of free games to fill your harddrive with.

Currently they have Mass Effect 3, Spec Ops and Dead or Alive 5 and they add new games each month that roll over so the cost of buying PS+ for a year at $35 and being able to play them all versus buying Mass Effect 3 alone for $35..... If you look around on the internet you can find really good deals, I just bought a year for £19.99 (RRP £39.99) so there'll be similar deals in the US.

The install times of a good mechanical over the cheap stock one is noticeable but because of the max bandwidth issues of the PS3 I don't think the SSD will give much more for the money you spend.

The texturing and filtering is really a matter of perception as when your playing on a PS3 your not expecting comparable results to a PC so pop isn't a massive concern for alot of users (myself included).

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
If you havent made up your mind yet... I would got for a Mech HDD. The reason is alot of games still need to grab things off the Blu Ray and a SSD cant speed that up. The load times will be improved because whats coming from the HDD will be faster but the BD will still handicap you to some extent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.