Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a X-Fi Fatality with a front I/O bay. I want to use my 5.1 speakers instead of the built in speakers on the Samsung T240 which I will be getting soon. I've did a search on google and came up with nothing solid.

Link1

Link2

Would I be using SPDIF or Optical in/out?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Im not sure where your going with this.. Maybe its just me.. Can you explain it more?

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
I think your saying you wanna hook up your PS3 to the T240 but have the sound go through your x-fi.
Hook up the PS3 via an HDMI-DVI cable to the T240.
Then take an optical cable and hook up the PS3 to the X-fi.

In the PS3 settings, go to sound and select the output to optical, and go to video and select hdmi for the video out.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234
View Post

I think your saying you wanna hook up your PS3 to the T240 but have the sound go through your x-fi.
Hook up the PS3 via an HDMI-DVI cable to the T240.
Then take an optical cable and hook up the PS3 to the X-fi.

In the PS3 settings, go to sound and select the output to optical, and go to video and select hdmi for the video out.

Thanks, going to give it a try when my monitor arrives. All the talk about TOSLINK got me confused on what kind of cable to get.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
O ok Noah I think you are right on what optical meant. If he is optical I recommend following his advice.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Does this actually give better sound?
Not sure about "better" sound, I just want it to correctly output 5.1 channels on my 5.1 speakers. I'll get sound through HDMI on the T240 but the speakers are really :turd:y on that monitor.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There's also an optical input on the back of the soundcard that would work as well. Just make sure you configure the input in your drivers.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grossebeaver View Post
There's also an optical input on the back of the soundcard that would work as well. Just make sure you configure the input in your drivers.
Not on my soundcard. I got this Fatality soundcard a month after it was released. The only optical input is through the front I/O bay.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
You can use optical or coax digital... both essentially sound the same. What kind of 5.1 speakers do you have?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've done this with the same card, it works a treat so you dont have to disconect/reconnect any wires and also get sound from pc at the same time as ps3. I used optical but you should be able to use the composite (red and white) cables either, i'm just not sure if they give full surround sound.

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronman View Post
You can use optical or coax digital... both essentially sound the same. What kind of 5.1 speakers do you have?
Altec Lansing 5100

·
Registered
267 Posts
it actually doesnt work.. been trying all night with my x-fi platinum ive tried the optical and also the rca jacks in the front i/o bay and no sound. Frustrated at the moment. Been tweeking the settings in the creative software and no luck. Anyone who has this setup please help dont just assume if you havent actually tried it. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts