Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the PC processor equivalent speed of the Cell and the Xbox 360 processor? The 360 processor is a tri-core running 3.2ghz. The cell is ..7 cores running at 3.2ghz? Would a single core Pentium have to be running at 9.6ghz to compete with the 360? What would the Cell be? Thanks. I have been wondering how the consoles processors compare/will compare for awhile.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Hmm, i think the E6600 whoops the Xbox 360 processor if im not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
You're asking a difficult question, one that is honestly impossible to answer without first setting all sorts of assumptions beforehand. E.g., the different processors are better at different types of work; and the efficiency of a multiprocessor configuration is very dependent on the type of work being done and how good the programmers and tools (compilers, libraries, etc.) are at leveraging multiple threads.

So I believe it's best not to try and make such simplistic comparisons, and therefore do not offer my own. If someone else offers you one, just take it with a grain of salt and remember that it's an estimation at best.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
As said thats a very tricky question. The Console CPU such as PS3 and XBOX360 are made to deal with different situations such as different tasks and different kinds of code. You cant actually pit a Conroe against a Cell CPU as there are too many factors to consider. There just CPU's of different types and generation entirely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts