Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am a bit late on this but I got the YLOD on my fat ps3. I could just get someone to fix it for me but i think it would be fun to do it myself.

I have seen the ifixit guide on how to open it up and replace the thermal pads and reapply thermal paste. I had a question regarding that.

I have thermal paste and all the tools to open up my ps3. The only thing I can lack is the thermal pads. I live in Canada and the 2mm thermal pads are not exactly easy to acquire. Ebay is a good way to get them but the only thing is that it will take a month to get the thermal pads because of the slow shipping of ebay.

I have heard of something called k5 pro which is supposed to be a thick thermal paste that acts as a replacement for thermal pads. I want to know if it would be a good idea to use k5 pro for my chips instead of thermal pads. Has anyone tried this? or has anyone tried to open up the ps3 and clean it up a bit and just apply thermal paste to it and no thermal pads?

I want to make sure my ps3 is fixed so which ever way is better i will do that. If anyone knows anything about this then any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
User
2,334 Posts
Even if you replace the thermal paste,it's not guaranteed to work. You could be lucky and it could be just that. Or it could be worse,really worse.

It could be the thermal paste on the CPU die. You will have to remove the IHS to change that. Good luck with that.

Or it could be the BGA connections that are broken,wich again good luck with that. Gonna need someone who knows how to reball.

Either way you're better buying a new PS3.

I tried to remove the IHS on my old 2009 fat PS3 because it sounded like a jet engine. Ended up doing a disaster and killed it. Certainly i did not have the correct tools to do the job and was not something i planned accurately,but since i once already removed the IHS from another processor,i though i'd give it a shot. And that was it. That crap was harder than cement.

Anyways wanted to play The Last Of Us,ended up buying a PS3 Slim from ebay for 100 bucks. Best decision ever. It was dead silent even in summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah i think in terms me wanting to play games again i will just buy a ps3 slim.

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to transfer saves from a ylod ps3 to a new ps3. Or is it impossible?

I still want to work on the fat ps3 just as a fun project. It would be cool to make it run again but if not i can just buy another one. I ordered the pads off of ebay but it will take a while for them to come to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts