Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VRM was idling at 37c and hitting up to 101c under Prime95 AVX2 load, even with a 80mm fan blowing over the top VRMs. The heatsink itself was warm but not too hot to touch under load.

I've read that others had success with replacing the thermal pad and was about to order some fujipoly pads myself but decided to investigate the sinks first.

After removing the VRM sink it became clear what the issue was: not enough pressure on the left side row of mosfets because the imprints left on the thermal pad are barely visible. I had already bottomed out the screws holding the heatsink with no effect.

There are plastic washers glued to the legs of the heatsink, creating a gap over the mosfets. That gap is clearly too big and the lack of a backplate for the VRM sink means the PCB was bowing out a bit, exacerbating the gap.

My solution: put a row of 15x15x0.5mm thick copper shims between the heatsink & thermal pad which lowered my max VRM temp to 70c under the same load WITHOUT an 80mm fan, 30c idle. Ideally, a home made back plate should lower temps even more though.

I have a feeling this is why GB added a tiny 30mm fan for the VRM even though I've never seen anything like it on other flagship boards. They observed the overheating as an issue but did not know the reason for it so they just added the fan in hopes that it'll help.

Great VRM components let down by poor cooling design.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you please post some pictures. I have the same mobo (still waiting for 8700k). I don't mind doing easy mods or should I exchange this for Asus hero mobo since it is still unused?

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
That's a sensationalist title.

Should be "Mod or RMA your Gaming 7 if you notice a heat issue with the VRM and don't plan on using a monoblock". Not every board has the problem.

Also, a likely alternative would be to shave off a few mils off the plastic washer.

Likely the person that made the heatsink design didn't plan on having horribly poor manufacturing tolerances on the plastic washers.

x299 boards such as the ROG ones , X299-A , and newer X299 pro boards from Gigabyte have a fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not every board, but definitely more than just OPs. Mine has the VRM overheating problem to the extreme. The plastic washers can be removed without too much effort, but the the board starts to bend when you torque down the screws. Mine was already slightly bent from the factory, which is something I also saw mentioned in a few reviews. Overall I think there's just terrible QC on this board. The RMA process is stressful and not free, so I'm glad someone posted about this issue so I could at least be pointed in the right direction to resolve it myself.

As for the fan, it's totally useless if the heatsink isn't making decent contact with the components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts