Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR
Quote:
Joy: On our record you have an existing case. Service ticket 8000443585.
: oh really?
Joy: Yes.
: can I please have an update as I'm not sure what my situation is right now
Joy: From the status of the case, we can not provide warranty service with the said processor you are reporting.
: i'm wondering; why would that be the case?
Joy: From the details you have provided, you are using a third party fan for this processor making the warranty to be void.
: english isn't my first language. I think i misunderstand and sad just say yes to question. I use intel fan, but have another fan point at intel fan for more airflow
Joy: You will need to contact through call again to clarify your statement since this is the one on our record.
Joy: Anything else I can help you with?
: AlRight thankyou. So this mean I cannot have warranty anymore yes?
Joy: Correct. Due to the use of third party fan with our boxed processor.
I should've done some searching before talking to Intel.
and yes I"m acting like english is my 2nd language to see if I could've wormed my way around their "warranty terms" which are idiotic IMHO.

Edit: Keep your stock HSF's as well as Intel will also deny your warranty if you don't have it. They require both to be returned (serials on both has to match up as they're paired.

Edit 2: Moral of the story is to don't disclose that you used a third party cooler and make sure you keep the original HSF if you have it
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

TLDR
Quote:
Joy: On our record you have an existing case. Service ticket 8000443585.
: oh really?
Joy: Yes.
: can I please have an update as I'm not sure what my situation is right now
Joy: From the status of the case, we can not provide warranty service with the said processor you are reporting.
: i'm wondering; why would that be the case?
Joy: From the details you have provided, you are using a third party fan for this processor making the warranty to be void.
: english isn't my first language. I think i misunderstand and sad just say yes to question. I use intel fan, but have another fan point at intel fan for more airflow
Joy: You will need to contact through call again to clarify your statement since this is the one on our record.
Joy: Anything else I can help you with?
: AlRight thankyou. So this mean I cannot have warranty anymore yes?
Joy: Correct. Due to the use of third party fan with our boxed processor.
I should've done some searching before talking to Intel.
Basically don't say yes and just say no.
and yes I"m acting like english is my 2nd language to see if I could've wormed my way around their "warranty terms" which are idiotic IMHO.
doh.gif

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jach11 View Post

Well thats stupid....
-.-
yes it is.

Luckily this was the CPU that was in my fried Evga board.....and Jacob did say that he'd pull some strings for me since failure would've most likely come from the frying of the board......fingers crossed

anyhow; beware people if you're going to go claim a warranty!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
i´ll say i got a bsod whilst it was still in the..
..box!

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post

wait what? so if you use a third party cooling solution intel will deny your RMA?
that is correct
I'm surprised not many people know.....and end up voiding their warranty if they answer yes. (I hope this PSA saves some people from voiding their warranties and loosing out on $)

I only just found out after the CS rep told me on the phone and googled it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
in the worst case find another person.. give him the bill, cpu and and stock hetsink
biggrin.gif

and dont forget to rub yo finger over the TIM on the HS so it looks used^^

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
wow this seriously needs to be stickied, because stock intel cooling solutions suck! and i bet 90% + on OCN have changed their heatsinks, lol talking bout the fan

·
Testing...
3,246 Posts
Don't tell them, they will never know.

?????

Logic.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Well, i did read the warranty card from my i3 (not that it matters after lapping it
biggrin.gif
) but it does state that for warranty purposes the CPU must have not been used with another HSF, and for all warranty stuff, the cpu should be sent with the box, all papers and the stock HSF (i think they'll forgive you keeping the case sticker).

I do understand that rep english was terrible (it's also not my main language, but still, it is not THAT bad) but yeah, if you dump the stock HSF even if it is not even worth scrap metal, say bye to your warranty. Same happens with AMD CPU's.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hmm, I just read the entire warranty as supplied by Intel in their boxed pamphlet, and nowhere does it say anything of the sort.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post

I thought this was well known, the use of after market equipment on almost anything will void your warranty unless it is stated you can use after market items.
evidently not
including me and quite a number of people just by looking at the posts alone above ^

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post

I thought this was well known, the use of after market equipment on almost anything will void your warranty unless it is stated you can use after market items.
apparently not lol

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,525 Posts
Well I think my 980x lost the warranty as soon as it left the box. Sand paper seems to do that. But this is some crazy info.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have been using 3rd party coolers on both boxed intel and AMD CPU's for over 12 years.

I believe that AMD has the same policy behind the use of 3rd party coolers. Their stock fans have a serial number on them that they pair with the CPU's serial number. Pretty much if you don't have the serial off the stock HS, you could be denied RMA.

I personally buy OEM CPU's over boxed ones when ever i can since I'm going to use a 3rd party cooler anyways for performance reasons, overclocking, and in some cases, much more quieter then the stock cooler. *cough* Phenom II stock coolers
gunner2.gif

1 - 20 of 77 Posts