Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had this problem with a Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750W.

Took my PC apart to clean it.
Assembled it back and noticed that if I play something and do some video encoding at the same time, sometimes my PC would just insta-shutdown.
Of course, BIOS reset to defaults, checked temperatures, no XMP, etc.
Long story short: I think Seasonic cheeped out and their PSU are not that "PRIME" or my PSU has an issue. I lean on the 1st case.

What I discovered with the system in the signature
I have 4 Seagate HDDs

If I attach them to the green port on the top SATA row = random shutdown.
Product Electronic instrument Circuit component Gadget Audio equipment

If I attach them to the green port on the bottom SATA row = no more shutdowns. later edit: false positive. it is still shutting down.
Automotive lighting Electronic instrument Audio equipment Rectangle Gadget

This makes me think that somehow the top SATA PSU ports share the same electrical circuit/limits with some or all the CPU/PCI-E ports on PSU, while the bottom SATA PSU ports are separated.
I ain't no electrical engineer so I cannot test to prove this theory, but it is 100% repeatable, at least in my case.
Me thinks the CPU/PCI-E ports are near full capacity but not quite there yet.
The combination of random power spikes from the GPU and SATA power draw = shutdown.

Simple way to test

Power test from OCCT. Shutdown as soon as I start it.
Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Slope

Just a heads up for anyone experiencing insta-shutdowns and has such a PSU.
Seasonic's response to this issue: PSA: Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750W

The solution to this problem

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem as you with exactly the same port so its not a one off problem its a whole batch if not the whole series
Sent mine to RMA and bought a new one while the other was in for RMA and Seasonic gave me a new Prime TX 750 which i put in the second machine

Maybe they are aware of the problem which is why they sent me a brand new PSU instead of trying to repair the old one

To be sure i dont have the same problem i am NOT using the two ports in the top i am using the other 3 ports below which means i am limited to a max of 10 SATA devices or 12 if i replace the one dual cable with a quad but that cant reach the front so no point in doing that

I have one dual SATA cable going up to the fan hub and two quad cables going to the front to the six hard drives which means i am now limited to a max of 8 hard drives instead of 16 the case has room for

Last time i will buy Seasonic next time i am going to buy a Corsair HX it might not have an on/off switch for the hybrid fan mode but it does not have that stupid problem and another plus is the 5v rail is bigger

·
PC Evangelist
48,444 Posts
I had a weird issue with Prime 1300w. When I had 2 GPUs connected ~ 400w total load, fan would go crazy almost like PSU is loaded 100%.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
Also another strange problem i had with mine before i sent it to RMA was out of the blue and for no reason i can figure out one of the hard drives hooked up to a cable using that port would start screaming loudly like a freaking banshee for a few seconds then stop

At first i thought it was the cable so i switched out the CableMod SATA cable i was using for a stock cable but that did the same and it turned out its that port you marked it has some serious issues

Luckly my hard drives were and still are fine i ran every test i could throw at them afterwards and keept an eye on them and they are not damaged
If everyone has a Seasonic TX 750 watt DONT use those two ports!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for confirming my findings.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
You should go on the TechPowerUp forums and post the same thing there they seem to have more traffic than OCN these days
There is also the Linus Tech Tips forums you could post on

I have had at least two units with the problem and i dont know if the two units i have now have the same problem i dont want to find out and your unit has the same problem so its not a one off problem

If you post on TechPowerUp and Linus Tech Tips maybe more reports of the problem will come forward
I dont want to make a thread myself on those sites

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
Ports work fine in my 1000w TX and older model, also works on my GX850. That was with 17 HDD’s running at the same.
I should have said TX750 thats what i meant the TX1000 has one more port so i am not sure if its wired up the same way inside

Also when is yours from? the first one i had problems with was bought in july 2019 was sent in for RMA in late 2019 and the second one i got i know for sure had the same problem as the OP was from late 2019 and i sent that in for RMA a few weeks ago and bought a new TX750

The TX750 i got back from RMA is now installed in my second machine
Like i said i dont know if these two new ones has the same problem i have not tested them and i dont want to

At least some of the TX750´s from 2019 has the problem thats for sure

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
I should have said TX750 thats what i meant the TX1000 has one more port so i am not sure if its wired up the same way inside

Also when is yours from? the first one i had problems with was bought in july 2019 was sent in for RMA in late 2019 and the second one i got i know for sure had the same problem as the OP was from late 2019 and i sent that in for RMA a few weeks ago and bought a new TX750

Like i said i dont know if these two new ones has the same problem i have not tested them and i dont want to

Yeah the extra port could be my saving grace. Both the 850 and 1000w have the same number of ports so it could be wired differently.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
Yeah the extra port could be my saving grace. Both the 850 and 1000w have the same number of ports so it could be wired differently.
The only TX models i can find reviews for are the 650 watt and 850 watt

The 650 watt has the same number of ports as the 750 watt and the 850 watt has the same number of ports as the 1000 watt so if there is a difference you might be able to tell from those two reviews above

Edit: 650 watt picture
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Capacitor

850 watt
Passive circuit component Circuit component Product Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

Attachments

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,998 Posts

You're certainly game enough to keep on using them, I'm not. All of my Seasonic PSUs were thrown into the Skip Bin and replaced with Corsair HX Models.

Can't trust a dodgy manufacturer that has left the scene on producing any more reliable PSUs, that last 10 years. Had four die off in their 5th and 8th years of operation.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,446 Posts
Hey thanks for posting this PSA, I have the PSU. I haven't had any issues, but I only have a couple of Sata SSD and some fan controllers powered by the SATA. I will need to check what port I am using.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
Hey thanks for posting this PSA, I have the PSU. I haven't had any issues, but I only have a couple of Sata SSD and some fan controllers powered by the SATA. I will need to check what port I am using.
Deepcuts never stated when his was made and/or bought so when is yours from?
Like i said the one i had i know for a 100% fact had the problem was from late 2019

It might not be every TX750 it might just be some of them so if you and Deepcuts can share some more info maybe we can figure out how big a problem it is

I had the problem with 3 or 4 hard drives hooked up to one cable using that port and at random they would scream like a banshee or the PC would just shut down at random
Moving the cables to the row with 3 fixes all problems

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Odds are that Seasonic makes the Corsair ones.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deepcuts never stated when his was made and/or bought so when is yours from?
Like i said the one i had i know for a 100% fact had the problem was from late 2019

It might not be every TX750 it might just be some of them so if you and Deepcuts can share some more info maybe we can figure out how big a problem it is

I had the problem with 3 or 4 hard drives hooked up to one cable using that port and at random they would scream like a banshee or the PC would just shut down at random
Moving the cables to the row with 3 fixes all problems
Bought mine in September 2019.
Serial number R1812AA2A2280084

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
Bought mine in September 2019.
Serial number R1812AA2A2280084
My first one was from July 2019 and the second i got with the problem was from December 2019
Which means that at least two made between September and December 2019 has the problem

I cant recall why i had to RMA the first one it might have been the same problem i cant recall almost 3 years later
One thing i have noticed is the box has changed from the 2019 model i sent to RMA and the news ones i have now the boxes are not the same size as the old one

I think the first R and numbers in the S/N are when it was made both my new ones starts with R21
The old one i sent to RMA had the number R1908AA370800037

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as I understand from the serial number, my unit was made in December 2018.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,906 Posts
As far as I understand from the serial number, my unit was made in December 2018.
Just found the box from the new one i bought and that one is from May 2021 where the new one i got back from RMA is from June 2021
I have not tested these two to see if they have the problem i dont want to risk causing damage to my hard drives

The date from the one i had that went to RMA is in my last post
The problem runs from December 2018 to August 2019

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,446 Posts
I purchased mine in January 2018. Hope that is good news.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts