Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Xeon Overclocker
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got your attention? Good, now I can finally rack up those imaginary "internet points" by showing off my geek bling.

So short story: the Xeon E5-1680V2 for the x79 is a 8 core cpu that is unlocked and sports a large jump in cache.

Long story:
So as with any enthusiast hardware there is a time and place where users can build, overclock, and gloat over having a rig with the best hardware and unrivaled performance. This time is short as the next year the newest and greatest is released.
Comparing X79 to X99:
1. ddr4
2. nvme support
3. 8 core cpu support

In the case of ddr4 I already have 64gb of 2133, thus the jump at this time to ddr4 doesn't really excite me. Nvme is interesting and may be enough to jump ship to x99 if performance for say load times simply went from fast to instant. Luckily it seems some people have had luck with the intel 750 pci as was my case. Great, so 1 and 2 irrelevant. 8 cores however is also exciting. However at the time I felt I was out of luck and 6 cores was just going to have to be enough (in all actuality its completely overkill... but its a free country). Still with google a short click away I decided to see if that magical "4970x" ever came to be. Toil as a did however for a while 2 hours at work I just couldn't find any hope until a few stories appeared.
Great! I just found 3 instances.... oh wait its just the same user on different forums arguing the same thing. A user named lutjens had obtained a E5-1680V2 and posed his results of a 4.5oc. It sounded too good to be true, especially that CPU-Z had some inconsistencies. Never the less the idea stuck. Did I ramble on enough yet? Well good, I'll keep going.
So a few days later at work I find said xeon in an ebay listing. Expensive... but still less than a 5960x. "Well if the intel 750 worked... maybe this will too!". With that I bought the cpu and cried as I submitted the payment. Just waiting for the cpu caused enough anxiety, did I just waste a big wad of cash? Well even if it did work the answer could be yes if you think about it.
Well as you guessed yes, it did work. With days of tinkering I present my 8 core xeon on x79 running at 4.4ghz. I just say my office has been quite toasting the last few days benching but at 1.352vcore at max load I couldn't be happier. Well the goal was to match my 4.5 4930k... but nevertheless I'll take it.

So if you really wanted an 8 core overclocked cpu on x79, try the E5-1680V2. From what I gather the cpu was for Apple's mac pros for late 2013. Most Xeons are locked since x58 however apparently doesn't apply to one socket configurations... yet.

Special thanks to lutjens for being heckled in forums but pointing me in the right direction.

Proof of stable oc:

·
Xeon Overclocker
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seen some instances of the lower Xeon 16xx series being used, but could not find specifically the 8 core variant other than lutjens'.

I tried, tried hard. However even at just over 1.4 I could not get any combination to stay stable over 4.4. 125 blck.. nope. 45+ multi, nope. 44x with a slight blck oc... nope. 4.4 however zeroed right in no problem. speed step and offset voltage works too!

• Rep+
Reactions: Master__Shake

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Damn
frown.gif

Still, that's not bad for 8 cores. Now when people ask what CPU you have, instead of giving the typical response of oh yeah I have a i5-xxx or a i7-xx .. you can be like yeah.. I have a Xeon E5-1680 v2 and they will be like what...
tongue.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
it is not very convenient as cpu

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servos View Post

Special thanks to lutjens for being heckled in forums but pointing me in the right direction.
You're welcome...
wink.gif
It's somewhat odd that it took you so much voltage to run at 4.4GHz. What cooling are you using? I'm still using my Corsair H110, and backed down my clock to 4.4GHz as well. I was stable at 4.5GHz, but didn't like using over 1.3V to get there. The 100MHz just wasn't worth it, as I run at 4.4GHz with only 1.25V (much less) and all other voltages at stock. At 4.5GHz, with the significantly higher voltage, the chip ran much warmer, again helping me make the decision that 4.4GHz was best..
smile.gif

The thing I like most about the CPU is that it runs quite cool...I max out at 60°C under extreme load. The fact that it was a simple drop in upgrade that allowed me to extend the life of my system was nice too...
wink.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: CrazyElf

·
Xeon Overclocker
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm running a caselabs s8, so 3x360's with a 240.
I don't run ac so if my 2nd floor office so it could be 20*s or 30*s depending on time of the year. Being July its been fairly warm but temps hit about 26*.
This chips vid was 1.29 so probably not the best sample. Either way temps and voltage are within reason and should last for awhile. It was sad as my 4930k did 4.5 under 1.3. But this works and I'm pretty happy with it!
I'll have to run some more benchmarks later. I did run passmark and around 20500 for cpu.
I grabbed the chip used off of ebay. Looked like the guy slings mac parts on a store on there. $900, hopefully less the cost when the old cpu unloads to someone else.

·

13,036 Posts
Great thread here.
smile.gif

I was wondering about if you anyone with a 1680 v2 could post some more benchmarks, maybe cinebench and 3dmark physics in particular. I'm really considering buying one over getting a 5960x system since I like my ram and mobo as is.

Also any thoughts about just getting this cpu vs a 5960x.

Thanks a lot.
cheers.gif

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Great find.

+ REP to Servos and to Lutjens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post

So how much will this chip set you back? Did you find a used one?
They go for about $1,000 USD usually:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1680v2.TRS0&_nkw=1680v2&_sacat=0

AS of 9:12 EDT July 19, 2015, there's only 1 for $1,100 USD.

Unfortunately it's not a great value, especially considering the cost of the 5960X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Great thread here.
smile.gif

I was wondering about if you anyone with a 1680 v2 could post some more benchmarks, maybe cinebench and 3dmark physics in particular. I'm really considering buying one over getting a 5960x system since I like my ram and mobo as is.

Also any thoughts about just getting this cpu vs a 5960x.

Thanks a lot.
cheers.gif
I don't have benchmarks, but I do have some thoughts.

Assuming a typical OC is in the 4.4-4.6 GHz range (which I expect it to be, considering the OC of Ivy Bridge E and of the 5960X, both of which are on the same 22nm process), let's compare the pros and cons.

1680V2 http://ark.intel.com/products/77912/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1680-v2-25M-Cache-3_00-GHz
  • If you already have an X79 motherboard, quad channel DDR3 RAM, then this is a no brainer upgrade. You can save on the price of a new motherboard and RAM.
  • This CPU does have a slightly larger cache (25MB vs 20MB, which may prove useful in some situations, and may slightly offset the Haswell clockspeed advantage).
  • Being a server CPU, this CPU does have a few features consumer CPUs don't have like vPro.
  • You will get some support for NVMe SSDs, but not boot support.
5960X http://ark.intel.com/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz
  • Haswell is perhaps 8-10% faster clock for clock, and considering both CPUs are going to be at 4.4-4.6 GHz (unless you get really lucky/unlucky with the silicon lottery), it will be slightly faster.
  • For anything that uses the new/extended instruction sets (SSE4.2, AVX 2.0, AES), expect improvements of up to 30%.
  • A new 5960X at SIlicon Lottery can be had for cheaper ($900 USD + shipping if you want the 4.4 GHz, more for the faster ones).
  • Because it is DDR4 (and I'm assuming if you want an 8 core CPU that you're using something that can use an 8 core CPU), there is higher bandwidth, which can be useful for certain applications.
  • Full boot support for NVMe SSDs.

Other thoughts
  • Only the 1680v2 supports ECC
  • If you plan to game, IMO, buy the 5960X, as games are more single threaded performance sensitive. Of course, HEDT is a poor value for "pure gaming".
  • To be honest, if you are looking for a multithreaded monster for some specific application, getting a 2P or 4P Nehalem based system is your best value.
Power consumption and cooling requirements will be comparable and I'd recommend for very heavy OCs to consider water cooling the VRMs as well on your motherboard.

My advice is, if you are buying a brand new CPU + motherboard + RAM, the 5960X is in most cases, a no brainer.

If you have an X79 based system though, much like how the 1366 X58 could access the 6 core Xeons, this 8 core might be an upgrade worth thinking about (versus selling the X79 system to buy an X99). Just keep in mind though, that for the money, it isn't as good a value because the 6 core X58 Xeons are cheap. This is not.

Also, specific to Canadians, the Canadian dollar has been weakening of late, so it may be better to buy sooner rather than later, as there are forecasts that the CAD$ will weaken more this year. Oil is expected to go down right now as well, due to the economic difficulties of China (one of the larger importers), which will likely harm the economy of Alberta. Central Canada's economy isn't too good either. So relative to the USD, the CAD is expected to decline.

Of course, currency speculation is always risky, so take what I say with a very big grain of salt.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,525 Posts
Found my next CPU. Going from a 5GHZ E5-1660 to this will be nice for benching.

·

13,036 Posts
Thank you CrazyElf for that very informative post. I am almost making up my mind what to do.

Thanks.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

I thought it was fairly well know that Xeon 16xx series chips were unlocked.

If that is stable at 44x on only 1.33v though that is pretty awesome. Wonder what you can do with 1.4v or 1.45v lol.
Whoa! I didnt know that they had unlocked xeons on 2011! Not everyone keeps up with thousand dollar silicon
smile.gif

I guess this is good to know when these chips end up on eBay after they are retired from servers, so in a few years
rolleyes.gif

·

13,036 Posts

Well guys, I took the plunge and bought that only 1680v2 on ebay for $1165 shipped. Hopefully it's a good overclocker!
biggrin.gif

Thanks again to the people in this thread and others for the great info on this beast cpu!
thumb.gif

I'll be unloading my 4930k here on OCN soon after I'm sure.
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 262 Posts