Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Sony's press conference at E3 is currently taking place and there's a lot of new things being revealed for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 (PS2), and PlayStation Portable consoles. But for now, we'd like to focus on the bomb dropped by Kaz Hirai himself.

At around 11:48 a.m, Kaz went up the stage and announced a new PlayStation Portable unit. The new PSP is said to be 19% slimmer and about 33% lighter. Hirai also said that it will have a longer battery life and expanded video capabilities. According to the Sony official, it will be available this coming September.

This will be offered in the U.S. in September as well for US$ 199 and will come bundled with 1GB memory stick, Daxter, and UMD movie The Family Guy
http://pspupdates.qj.net/E3-Sony-ann...g/49/aid/97223

Quote:
It's not quite the PSP 2 some might've hoped for, but Sony is giving its handheld console a serious refresh in the form of a slimmer, lighter and faster "updated" PSP. The new unit still includes the 4.3-inch LCD and UMD, but is 33 percent lighter, 19 percent slimmer, has sped up game load times and improved battery life. The only real "new" features is a video output capability to allow you to play your PSP games on a big screen TV. You can score one in September in the original Piano Black, a new Ice Silver color, and a Star Wars Battlefront special edition. The latter two PSPs come in $199 bundles with related games and a 1GB Memory Stick in the case of Ice Silver. More pics after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/11/s...-video-output/

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
So it's actually true? There's been a lot of controversy about this topic.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
are developers going to be able to make settings for the PSP lol. Like a computer, it recognizes which PSP you have and auto-detects.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
since they released these second generation ones, or the second revisions, they will make sure on hacking will happen to these new ones now. well who knows, my current psp is fine, but scratched. if price is still at 169 then i may buy even tho i know that it is garunteeded that i cant hack it. now y wont Sony just make a PSP Phone? instead of putting ur ear on it like the iPhone, you can just use a blue tooth headset or loudspeaker...that would be sweet with all of the current psp peripherals

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Just confirmation of old news. Wish they had shown a prototype off or something.

Actually this is confirmation of old Rumors

Anyways I will be buying the Star Wars pack that includes the Darth Vader PSP....SWEET!!

I love that it has video out, though i wish it had the camera built in...I also understand why they didn't put a hdd, would have driven the costs way up thus no one would get it but hackers who need it for all the pirated games...

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
Sweet, I'm thinking of getting one in Black to match my new iPod (basically the iPhone without the Phone) that I will be getting.

NiNja

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Nice. Im not a fan of PSP but im sure this comes as good news to some.
You should try the PSP slim when it comes out and see what you think, i know i regret ditching mine. They just keep adding more and more content too so it doesn't get old too. The diversity in what it can do is the best. They are planning an update that will allot PSP users to communicate with each other wirelessly too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
They do this with every system they release, they release a newer, smaller, better version, after everyone has bought the crappy first one :p

PSone vs. PSX
PS2 vs. PS2 (slim)
PS3 vs. PS3 (80 gb)
PSP vs. this thing

I would consider buying it if the DS didn't look so appealing.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foslock
View Post

They do this with every system they release, they release a newer, smaller, better version, after everyone has bought the crappy first one :p

PSone vs. PSX
PS2 vs. PS2 (slim)
PS3 vs. PS3 (80 gb)
PSP vs. this thing

I would consider buying it if the DS didn't look so appealing.

DS is junk. And i would bet you 50 bucks (if i knew you in rl) that it will be named the PSP Slim.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
View Post

Nobody is going to buy this now that DAX left..

that's a worthless comment since piraters only count for around 5% of actual PSP users....And even less of those piraters know who DaX is...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucdan
View Post

since they released these second generation ones, or the second revisions, they will make sure on hacking will happen to these new ones now. well who knows, my current psp is fine, but scratched. if price is still at 169 then i may buy even tho i know that it is garunteeded that i cant hack it. now y wont Sony just make a PSP Phone? instead of putting ur ear on it like the iPhone, you can just use a blue tooth headset or loudspeaker...that would be sweet with all of the current psp peripherals

**** that man, do you want to pay $500 for a damn psp and then be forced to pay $80 a month? **** no, if you want a gaming machine, buy a gaming machine, if you want a ****ing phone, you have phones that are designed to be phones. Damn, how ****ing useless can people make their ideas? put a ****ing cellphone in a PSP?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Let's do some math

The current psp dimensions taken from gamefaqs.com:
Dimensions: Approxately 170mm (L) x 74mm (W) x 23mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 260g (including battery)

so 19% slimmer would be 18.63mm (not that significant)
and 33% lighter, so it would be 174.5g (now this makes a difference)

compare this to DS Lite (also from gamefaqs)
Size in Millimeters (Closed):133.0 mm wide / 73.9 mm long / 21.5 mm tall
Size in Grams: 218 g

hey! its slimmer and lighter than ds lite while being 37mm wider than ds!

i'd buy it if it came with God of War, not some star wars or family guy crap

1 - 20 of 24 Posts