Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice as to what the cause of this buzzing sound may be, and if i should return the psu (only been using the psu a few months) and get a new one.

It's an Antec 750W TruePower NEW

The buzzing sound has stopped for now, just completely gone, but i'm a bit worried it could still do some damage to other components.

The buzzing is like this:

PC off but power cable still in + turned on at the wall = tiny buzzing sound that goes up and down in pitch, never gets very loud.

PC on but idle = same as above

PC on and running any sort of CPU benchmark = gets quite loud, and goes up and down in pitch

PC on and utalizing gpu+ram+cpu = extremely loud buzzing, as above, it goes up and down like it's having it's volume turned up and down.

I know for a fact its coming from the PSU as i unplugged everything, and only left psu connected to power.

Any advice would be helpful.
Keep in mind, the buzzing has completely gone now.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sounds like capacitor buzz. If it stopped, maybe the capacitor vibrated enough to settle itself, I wouldn't risk it though. If you can RMA it, I would. Not sure if a buzzing capacitor is dangerous or damaging, but I just straight up wouldn't want to hear it. You could also replace the caps, but if you can RMA it, I don't see the point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smykster View Post
Sounds like capacitor buzz. If it stopped, maybe the capacitor vibrated enough to settle itself, I wouldn't risk it though. If you can RMA it, I would. Not sure if a buzzing capacitor is dangerous or damaging, but I just straight up wouldn't want to hear it. You could also replace the caps, but if you can RMA it, I don't see the point.
Yeah it sounded like the typical GPU buzz, but much much louder
Looks like i'll be RMA'ing it

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
DO NOT RISK IT...Your talking about ur psu here....your psu can screw up your whole system...I know it stinks waiting for the psu to get back to you but do not mess with that RMA that sucka if you can man! Your psu sends power to everything so it can fry everything. I would RMA it but that is me

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastiffman
View Post

Is GPU Buzz a bad thing? I don't hear it all of the time with my card but once in a while when i have a bright white screen up and scroll up or down with my mouse I can hear that buzz....

Are you using a pair of cans? Onboard? Try plugging them in the front port.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralCuster44
View Post

DO NOT RISK IT...Your talking about ur psu here....your psu can screw up your whole system...I know it stinks waiting for the psu to get back to you but do not mess with that RMA that sucka if you can man! Your psu sends power to everything so it can fry everything. I would RMA it but that is me

It's not a big deal. It's just cap whine.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If it's stopped and the psu is working then I wouldn't bother with an RMA. Sound like typical coil whine. Sometimes the coil just stops making the noise.....doesn't mean the psu will destroy your rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts