Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some research on full tower ATX cases for a new build (currently thinking either the Phantek Enthoo Pro or the NZXT Phantom 530).
One interesting piece of information I came across is that some people have trouble reaching some of the higher-up power connections on the motherboard. So far all of the cases I've looked at have the grommets that allow you to put the cables through them and into the other side of the case for cable management. Seemed like a cool idea at the time, but now I'm wondering if that might be a problem?

Has anyone else heard of this or know if I should be looking at certain PSUs to ensure the cables are long enough?

P.S. Planning for my new mobo to be an EATX

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post

So I've been doing some research on full tower ATX cases for a new build (currently thinking either the Phantek Enthoo Pro or the NZXT Phantom 530).
One interesting piece of information I came across is that some people have trouble reaching some of the higher-up power connections on the motherboard. So far all of the cases I've looked at have the grommets that allow you to put the cables through them and into the other side of the case for cable management. Seemed like a cool idea at the time, but now I'm wondering if that might be a problem?

Has anyone else heard of this or know if I should be looking at certain PSUs to ensure the cables are long enough?

P.S. Planning for my new mobo to be an EATX
I made a new build based on an enermax thorex case(was cheap) full height,BOTTOM mount psu,atx @ top. Ended up needing an extension for the 4 pin 12v atx plugg to reach the board. No problem I thought,bought entire cable extension kit from newegg under 10 including shipping. Everything was fine with the 80 & 95 watt processors,& 1 case fan & 1 cooling fan.When I bumped up to 120 watt processor,& a seconf fan, I encountered a burning smell and found wire insulation melted together. Extension was lighter gage than that used from psu's.Not saying that's the cause of my issue with the board, but my problems started @ that time.
redface.gif
Just make sure the psu cables will reach the atx and any vid card,along with drives from where it's mounted. BTW, the enermax allowed cables to be run behind the board.Both sides removed for easy access.Only thing I ran was switches for power/reset & leds for power/hdd.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts