Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm currently in the process of setting up a new rig for myself and i need abit of help on deciding a PSU as I haven't been in the game in years.

This is the rig :

Cooler Master HAF 932 Big Tower

Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9(2x4gb)

HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "TURBO"

Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-2500K

ASUS P8P67 PRO, Socket-1155

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler(will likely be replacing stock fan with Akasa Amber 120mm

I'm not really sure about HDD yet but i will be doing a bit of OC'ing(not to extreme levels or anything) and i (Probably) at some point will go Crossfire setup with another 6950.

Now I'm looking at these PSU's

Corsair TX V2 750W PSU which is about which is 151 Dollars.

and

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700W PSU which is at 128 dollars due to a price drop.

Now a few questions is, will i be able to run Crossfire x2 6950's on this kind of rig with a 700W/750W psu?(if not even a slight overkill)

and which one of these would you recommend.

Other than that im *slightly*(slightly. im not skittish about noise i just can't stand high pitched whine noises from PSU's) worried about noise levels seeing as I'm air cooling a Air flow case I wouldn't want a too noisy PSU turning my PC into a Vacuum cleaner.

Excuse any error's please
I'm Danish.

·
Registered
765 Posts
if you are planing a crossfire a 700w will be fine, if your not, it will still be fine, you could go 600w, but it all depends on personal preference, there are lots of people that will tell you to overkill the psu.... i am not one of them, i have an attachment to getting what i need and a little overkill, but not too much, i love to spend money but hate to waste it

oh yeah the seasonic x750 is on sale on newegg for 130 now.....

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Either of them are fine but i'd take a preference to corsair just because of their customer service etc etc. But the coolermaster is 80 plus gold which for something like that from Corsair will put you back a hefty amount more.

Also, you've gone with the HAF 932. Doesn't this case have like 100 fans or something silly.

Comps

·
Registered
913 Posts
Both those PSUs are pretty good, and will handle your system with incredible ease. You could even drop down a good 650W and still run your system with crossfire and overclock. The Seasonic X series is nice in that it runs fanless until I think 40%? Someone can correct me, but it remains a very quiet unit. I'm not sure what prices are like in Denmark though.

Another possibility pricewise is the XFX XXX, which is the same as the TXV2 but often retails for less money (again, not a denmark price expert).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ocpokey
View Post

I'm not sure what prices are like in Denmark though.

i did not catch that..... i am terrible at catching things at the bottom of a post

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i've assembled this from a single shop for order which i'd prefer to keep to a single shop for easier customer service in case of brakedowns and receipts and so on this however also restricts me to the sites offer on PSU's i could if it's REALLY neccesary prob still find other pages but atm i can't find a seasonic on the site..unless they called them something else.

and yeah the HAF932 1x 230mm Front, 1x 230mm Top, 1x 230mm Side, 1x 140mm Back.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laucian
View Post

Well i've assembled this from a single shop for order which i'd prefer to keep to a single shop for easier customer service in case of brakedowns and receipts and so on this however also restricts me to the sites offer on PSU's i could if it's REALLY neccesary prob still find other pages but atm i can't find a seasonic on the site..unless they called them something else.

and yeah the HAF932 1x 230mm Front, 1x 230mm Top, 1x 230mm Side, 1x 140mm Back.

link to the site?

edit: i would go silent pro gold if it were me spending that much on a psu, it's modular, 80+ gold certified, and it's cooler master!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uhm, it's komplett.dk it's all in danish and with crowns though so

http://www.komplett.dk/k/kc.aspx?bn=10057 would be a direct link to the PSU section

*Edit*

Well there do seem to be alot of differing opinions ^^ I'll keep checking this thread, im not buying it till may though so plenty of time for people to storm me with advice or yell at me for stupidity

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laucian
View Post

uhm, it's komplett.dk it's all in danish and with crowns though so

http://www.komplett.dk/k/kc.aspx?bn=10057 would be a direct link to the PSU section

yeah, for those prices, go with the cooler master silent pro 700w i believe that would be a great psu

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

The Corsair is the better PSU and I highly recommend it over the CoolerMaster.

really.... then how about the 650w version on the same site:
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=623444

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocpokey
View Post

You could even drop down a good 650W and still run your system with crossfire and overclock

and the good part is that the 650w version on the same site is only about 124 usd compared to 151

i would still go with cooler master being 80+ gold and modular and all, because i like modular, and 80+gold means better energy efficiency, but that is personal preference and both the Corsair TX and the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold are on the recommended psu list:
http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-supplies.html

although the exact Corsair TX is on the faq, and that exact model Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold is not

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, i haven't been in the game for YEARS so I'm not really sure what's more desirable(did i spell that right?) right now.

·
Premium Member
8,770 Posts
The difference in energy savings between an 80+ Gold and an 80+ Bronze would be minimal at best. The Corsair is a Seasonic Unit so that is a big plus in my book. While I'm not a big fan of Corsair's Technical and Customer Support (or lack there of), Coolermaster's is absolutely non-existant. While this is only subjective, I'm not a big fan of modular cables on psus. I prefer my cables be soldered directly onto the circuit board instead of having the additional plug in connection.

·
Premium Member
8,770 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phantasmor
View Post

really.... then how about the 650w version on the same site:
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=623444

I would still go with cooler master being 80+ gold and modular and all, because i like modular, and 80+gold means better energy efficiency, but that is personal preference and both the Corsair TX and the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold are on the recommended psu list:
http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-supplies.html

although the exact Corsair TX is on the faq, and that exact model Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold is not

The Corsair TX V2 650 is just as good as the Corsair TX V2 750 is. Both are on the Recommended List unlike the CM Silent Pro 700.

The CM Silent Pro 700 isn't the same platform as the ones that are on the recommended list which are 850w and up. That is quite telling as CM has a history of selling PSU's that are pretty low quality for the most part. Only the higher end Silent Pro's are good. Knowing Tator Tot, if the Silent Pro 700 was that good it would be on the Recommended list. Since it isn't I question the quality of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After reading up abit on it im inclined to agree with you PapaSmurf.
Now the question just is wether to get the 650W or 750W version for my rig.
tbh i really have no clue how much wattage a rig like this would use with a Crossfire setup got any last recommendations for which of them to get now that iv'e pretty much settled on the Corsair? i suppose you could say 750W would be more future security? ^^

what i get from the fact is that Dual GPU systems would need 750-850, I'm fairly sure it won't be for a while that I'll go dual GPU. I will be OC'ing abit though.
i read something about wasting away the 80+ badge by running at beow 20% idle load on the psu. and to be completely honest i have no idea how much overkill you'd need to go to hit below 20%.(unless im thinking right, which is unlikely, and its a massive overkill needed to hit that)

logic would probably dictate to buy the 750W now so i wont have to spend way more money on it by the time i go crossfire though.
i'll be adding SSD at some point as well.
as i said its been ages since ive actually done any kind of this so it's taking some time to get into it again.

Anyway I would be glad for some more help even though you've alle helped me a ton already(thanks for that!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts