Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can the PSU's exhaust fans effect temps?
reason Im wondering is I got my temps leveled out to 36-38*c idle w/ dips to 34*c. my load temps leveled out to 46-48*c

this evening I swaped out my Thermaltake psu for an Ultra X-Connect.
my temps went up to 40*c idle and 52*c load.
in wondering why(every thing else is the same) I checked how much air my fans were exhausting/pulling in.
I noticed the X-connect isnt exhausting as much air as the thermaltake did. could this be the reason for the temp increase, and would adding a blow hole help balance things back out?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
this totslly will affect temps. think of it as another fan that blows out. if you slow it down or remove it temps will go up. in the olden days the only exaust was throught the psu. it coul also be that the psu is adding heat to your system.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
probably, i have a 3 fan PSU, it's an aspire turbo case one, and it moves a TON of air! it lets me control the speed of the fans, i've found a happy medium where i can shift enough air and maintain temps overnight...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*
probably, i have a 3 fan PSU, it's an aspire turbo case one, and it moves a TON of air! it lets me control the speed of the fans, i've found a happy medium where i can shift enough air and maintain temps overnight...
this is the way my tt PSU was. wile it only had 2 fans one was manual control, and I just permanantly set it just at the audable level.

the air diffrence exhausting between these 2 PSU is a very noticable ammount by hand, so Id guess the X-Connect is only exhausting about half the ammount of air.

you all think a blow hole would lower my temps back down abit?

·
Registered
424 Posts
A blow hole would be a good idea, you can have fun modding your case while your at it. It'll be worth the experience, and it will lower you case temps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well at this point Im convinced its actualy a temp reporting problem.
after some research seems to be a comon prob with the entire K8N line of mobo's.
ran prime95 all day. temp I was getting load was 54, idle 40.
b4 cpu had a chance to cool from load I shut down and checked temps in BIOS. bios reading the usual 42*c
get back in windows from a warm boot and idle temp is back to 36*.

I realy appreciate all the help and input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts