Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am curious as to what you think is a sufficient power supply for a folding rig (will be folding 24/7) that contains 4x 9800GX2s on a Phenom 9550 cpu.

I'd be interested in finding out what the minimum possible to run this combo is (without breaking) and what the recommended safe size is. I have an HX 1000, but wondering if there are other alternatives.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
That might be tight even for an HX1000W. These are 200W+ cards. You'll want a quality 1200W... If you're going to be spending this much on a folding rig, go all out and get a PC Power & Cooling 1200W, by far the best >1KW PSU around.

• Rep+
Reactions: usmcz

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

That might be tight even for an HX1000W. These are 200W+ cards. You'll want a quality 1200W... If you're going to be spending this much on a folding rig, go all out and get a PC Power & Cooling 1200W, by far the best >1KW PSU around.

I already have a hx1000 sitting here not in use, that is why I was asking specifically about that one. The Antec 1200w are on sale right now, and the Ultra X4's are not terribly expensive either. Any thoughts?

Sorry, but a PC P&C is way too expensive. I would just run 2 smaller psu's or only put 3 cards per rig for that price. I'd have to run 4x gtx 295's to feel like it was worth it
I thought the GX2's would pull about 200w ea folding too, but I've been reading old threads here and have seen a few mentions that even while folding they pull ~175w each.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
A pair of Corsair TX750s would be plenty, as would a TX750 and the Thermaltake 650w GPU PSU. A lot of people ran quad-GX2 setups with a PC P&C Silencer 750 and the TT GPU 650w, so a TX750 and the TT PSU would be plenty.

• Rep+
Reactions: usmcz

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcz
View Post

I already have a hx1000 sitting here not in use, that is why I was asking specifically about that one. The Antec 1200w are on sale right now, and the Ultra X4's are not terribly expensive either. Any thoughts?

Why not just try it? Corsair is a good brand, it's got good over-current protection and will shut off long before it does any damage. I hear the corsairs are actually under-rated, hence you may be able to get more than 1000w of juice out of it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch
View Post

Why not just try it? Corsair is a good brand, it's got good over-current protection and will shut off long before it does any damage. I hear the corsairs are actually under-rated, hence you may be able to get more than 1000w of juice out of it.

I have heard that too (about them being underrated). Well, I don't want to open it and use it because it is still sealed--so I was just curious if it was even possible.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AMG -- yeah I was just discussing that with a friend, apparently 2x 750watt works well .. just need to read up on how to bridge PSUs if I go that route

·
FS19 Addict
5,392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
On the PSU that isn't plugged into the motherboard, just bridge the green and black (any black) wires on the 24 pin ATX connector. That's the equivalent of pushing the power button on the front of the computer as far as the PSU is concerned.
This is true just use as wire similar to the PSU one so it wont overheat and short on you running it 24/7 and all.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Arter View Post
This is true just use as wire similar to the PSU one so it wont overheat and short on you running it 24/7 and all.
Heheh, I use a peice of solder that I whittled down to fit. Either way, there's no real amperage going through the green wire, all it is doing is telling the PSU to turn on, just a signal. Plus, it can't short-circuit, worst thing that could happen is is disconnects and the PSU turns off. You effectively are short-circuiting it, can't short a short circuit

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,454 Posts
wait what?! you can run 4 GX2's? Thats 8 cores! Am I missing something or has everyone else?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kylzer View Post
Hmm Xigmatek 1500w looks good.
Don't forget most new build home breakers are 15A or 1800w. A 1500w PSU at 85% efficency is 1764w. That's the entire breaker right there... not including monitors, speakers, or anything else on the circuit.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I would say get a Ultra X3 or X4 if the Corsair HX doesn't cut it. I have to say Ultra and Corsair are the best in the power supply business IMO. But really as other have said Corsair under-rates there power supply's so you could probably get anywhere from 1050W-1100W from it. So the Corsair should work just fine, and yeah just plug it in and turn it on, the power supply will turn itself off before it takes any damage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts