Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to OCing. I've done it before a couple of times, but I wouldn't even consider myself an intermediate OCer.

Here's my plan

CASE: Lian Li PC-08

Mobo: MSI x299 M7 ACK

RAM : 16gb of gskill trident @3200 (2x8)... Will probably get another set of 2x8 further down the road

CPU : 7820x OC to 4.8ghz @ 1.27v
CPU was delided and TIM was replaced with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i v2

GPU: Asus ROG strix 1080ti OC ... May OC this

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

Fans: 10x 120mm ( including AIO fans)

I already have everything besides RAM and AIO. Will I be able to achieve that OC with a 750w PSU? I put it into one of those sketchy online wattage calculators and it said at max load I'd be drawing 735w. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
643 Posts
Actually, a 850 should do just fine, but I would spend a little more and get a 1000W just for some headroom on the 12V rail. I would rethink the H100i as I do not think it will be enough to cool that chip. If you are determined to use an AIO, I would do a 360mm one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, a 850 should do just fine, but I would spend a little more and get a 1000W just for some headroom on the 12V rail. I would rethink the H100i as I do not think it will be enough to cool that chip. If you are determined to use an AIO, I would do a 360mm one.
Unfortunately I already have the 750w PSU. Also the Lian Li pc-08 doesn't exactly support a 360 rad. The CPU is delided with liquid metal (from what I was told a 240 aio will be plenty unless it's running at 100% 24/7 which it won't be.) You can make it work with slight modification. I was told that the 750w would be fine because in day to day use you almost never hit 100% on cpu and gpu simultaneously. Also PSU's now a days are made to run at 100% 24/7 for the duration of their warranty.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Unfortunately I already have the 750w PSU. Also the Lian Li pc-08 doesn't exactly support a 360 rad. The CPU is delided with liquid metal (from what I was told a 240 aio will be plenty unless it's running at 100% 24/7 which it won't be.) You can make it work with slight modification. I was told that the 750w would be fine because in day to day use you almost never hit 100% on cpu and gpu simultaneously. Also PSU's now a days are made to run at 100% 24/7 for the duration of their warranty.
My Mastercase 5T doesn't really "support" a 360MM rad, but it's in there. Good luck with the H100i. I had one and it didn't too well with my stock 7900x in everyday use without an overclock. Fans were LOUD and my chip always ran in the 80s while editing photos all day. Running an all core 4.7 OC now with a custom loop and Direct Die frame and my temps barely get to 65C while working. It will hit ~68C after an hour of Realbench, but that is at 100% power for an hour, so not too bad at all. Post your results when your PC is built and running.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok so talking about wattages is a bit silly since it’s going to be hard to completely utilise a 8 core cpu and high end 1080 ti under most work loads I’d suggest 600w would run fine but 700-750w is best.

The feature you should be looking for on your power supply is a second cpu connector cable out of the box or one you can order at a reasonable price. In the past I’ve had a ASUS Strix 780ti which monitored the input voltage and you could see about 200mv voltage drop using one daisy chained pcie cable vs two pcie power cables which remained near constant.
You likely won’t need a second pcie connection on a 8 core cpu but you would if you upgraded to a higher core count cpu in the next few years doing that would require a higher wattage psu :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Mastercase 5T doesn't really "support" a 360MM rad, but it's in there. Good luck with the H100i. I had one and it didn't too well with my stock 7900x in everyday use without an overclock. Fans were LOUD and my chip always ran in the 80s while editing photos all day. Running an all core 4.7 OC now with a custom loop and Direct Die frame and my temps barely get to 65C while working. It will hit ~68C after an hour of Realbench, but that is at 100% power for an hour, so not too bad at all. Post your results when your PC is built and running.
I was about to post about direct die frame and was trying to find the YouTube link. This frame made me super jealous after I upgraded to a 8700k as I needed 1.42v for 5.1ghz as the bin was crap to get super stable I also needed a Corsair h110 with noctua industrial fans to get a quiet system as my old 1st gen Corsair h60 was not cutting it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 750W PSU should work. I would just try to run it and see how much power you draw with a Kill A Watt.

CPU power draw could be 250W or a little higher depending on where you actually land with the overclock. GPU power draw could be 350-400W depending on overclock.

Since you're using an AIO for your CPU and your GPU is air cooled, you will be thermally limited, and likely won't draw as much power as that. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your system to need 650-700W depending on your other components. Only you can decide if that is enough power headroom for you to be comfortable.

I think you will run out of cooling before you run out of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the replies. Seems like the PSU will work, but I should be worried about cooling. Will see how it goes and if needed will upgrade to a 850w PSU and replace the h100i with a 360 rad. Hopefully will have the PC up and running by next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts