Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to build a standard mini-itx gaming rig. I've narrowed my PSU choice down to two, the Silverstone Strider ST55F-G (550w, fully modular, 140mm) or the Seasonic G series 550 (550w, semi-modular, 160mm). I know the Silverstone will fit and I can put the short cable set on for better air flow, but I'm not sure if it can beat the Seasonic in silence. Additionally, I have a large card and I've read that the modular cables will have to be bent fairly aggressively to clear/slightly touch the video card. The Seasonic, on the other hand is larger, but it's modular slots are, according to some in the Node 304 owners thread, below the larger video cards. Effectively, the could be slid underneath a large card if necessary. Additionally, the PSU bracket could be removed and the PSU moved farther back in the case and held to the case securely by other means. My concern with the Seasonic, is that the cables could be too long and provide more clutter than the Silverstone.

This build is for a bedroom and will be sitting on top of a desk, so being quiet is definitely a plus.

So questions:

-Silverstone ST55F-G owners, how loud does you PSU get, subjectively?

-Seasonic Owners, cable length too long, just right or not long enough? Please specify if it was an ITX, mATX or ATX build.

-Additional thoughts?

thanks in advance for the discussion.

-P66

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Not an owner of any of the things you have mentioned but I think that with the use of some heavy duty zip ties you can minimize the amount of space the longer Seasonic cables take up, I think it will be a better option than to have a very large bend with a PCIe power cable. Wires are more durable than plastic connectors and PCBs. Just my
2cents.gif

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crazzy...it's really my last decision before I build. I'm going with a Noctua NH-U14s for my cooler, so I want the rest of the case to be just as quiet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, subscribed to the thread. But I'm not getting an answer on my PSU questions so I thought I'd ask here. I'm hoping someone here can chime in and let me know whether or not the Silverstone is quiet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have the silverstone in my node - its certainly quiet enough for me - i dont hear it over my 3.5" Seagate Barracuda and my GTX 770 - not sure if that gives an indication but the sound even at full loud is pretty quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts