Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new PSU for my rig at the moment. I'm using a 600W OCZ Stealth Xtreme now, and according to an online power calculator, I'm using about 570W now at peak.
The thing is, I'm adding a GTS 450 to the rig for folding purposes and I'll be overclocking it too. So can I have some suggestions for a good PSU, please? Preferably modular, but not necessary. I don't really have a strict budget (yet), will look in to that depending on your suggestions, but under £100 is preferred.

Components are stuff in the sig rig + an overclocked GTS 450.
Thanks again!

Some choices so far:
XFX 750W Black Edition Single Rail Modular - £90
Corsair TX 750W Single Rail Non modular - £97

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The XFX 750w you posted for sure. There's other good buys if you can find them cheaper.

Silverstone Strider Plus 750w
Corsair HX750
Antec TruePower New 750w

XFX 750w are and Corsair HX750 are the best performers here, but they're all very good. No real world difference in performance.

Edit: forgot to mention, you aren't using 570 watts. Furmark + P95 you'd max under 500w.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Go with that XFX it's much better then the Corsair as far as performance, I don't even have to mention it's cheaper and modular for it to be better then the TX750.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You're not using 570W. You're using maybe 400W.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. I probably typed in the wrong number or something in to that calculator.

Anyways, cheers for the suggestion guys, much appreciated!

I'm looking towards
XFX 750W Black Edition Modular ~£88
Silverstone Strider 750W Modular ~£95
Corsair HX 750W Modular ~£110

I'll just have a look around, read some reviews, look at connectors, efficiency etc. Thanks again, wonderful people of OCN!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCG View Post
Oh. I probably typed in the wrong number or something in to that calculator.

Anyways, cheers for the suggestion guys, much appreciated!

I'm looking towards
XFX 750W Black Edition Modular ~£88
Silverstone Strider 750W Modular ~£95
Corsair HX 750W Modular ~£110

I'll just have a look around, read some reviews, look at connectors, efficiency etc. Thanks again, wonderful people of OCN!

Please only use this thread for reviews. If theres a review on one of these products and it's not int that thread then it's not worth reading okay?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post
Please only use this thread for reviews. If theres a review on one of these products and it's not int that thread then it's not worth reading okay?
Got it, thanks!

I may already have a conclusion though, Silverstone Stride doesn't have an on/off switch which is something I use A LOT! The XFX 750W Black Edition only has 2x PCIe connectors, and, I don't really like that thing's overall design, it looks .. alien-ish! So its Corsair HX750, unless I find another one between now and the day I decide to buy the PSU ..

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCG View Post
Got it, thanks!

I may already have a conclusion though, Silverstone Stride doesn't have an on/off switch which is something I use A LOT! The XFX 750W Black Edition only has 2x PCIe connectors, and, I don't really like that thing's overall design, it looks .. alien-ish! So its Corsair HX750, unless I find another one between now and the day I decide to buy the PSU ..
You shouldn't use the on off switch it keeps your Cmos battery charged if your Cmos battery fails then you will think something is dead or broken. You will most likely have to send your motherboard back and that will cost you more money.

Do yourself a favor and leave your psu on and plugged in for your computer sake.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTHbot View Post
You shouldn't use the on off switch it keeps your Cmos battery charged if your Cmos battery fails then you will think something is dead or broken. You will most likely have to send your motherboard back and that will cost you more money.

Do yourself a favor and leave your psu on and plugged in for your computer sake.
When I said I use the switch a lot, I didn't mean I always keep it off when the machine is switched off. I use it when I'm working inside the case, ie messing with the wires, adding/removing stuff etc, and I do that a lot!

Thanks for the warning though!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCG
View Post

When I said I use the switch a lot, I didn't mean I always keep it off when the machine is switched off. I use it when I'm working inside the case, ie messing with the wires, adding/removing stuff etc, and I do that a lot!

Thanks for the warning though!

I am the same way. Anytime I mess with hardware I flip the switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts