I5 2500K
Adata Gaming Series AX3U1600GB2G9-2G 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
ZOTAC GTX 570
PSU?
FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE XL
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S
OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

Do I need a more powerful PSU? Toms gave a recommendation for the TP750 in a roundup and has generally good reviews...
I'm open to feedback.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
The 750W TruePower New is a great choice! Not only is it a good quality unit, but it's at a very affordable price. It should be about perfect for this setup!

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
They just had the Seasonic X750 on newegg with $25 off, I think I snagged it for like 125 or so. They might still have it on sale not sure.

Edit: Just checked, its not on sale anymore.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagle3092
View Post

They just had the Seasonic X750 on newegg with $25 off, I think I snagged it for like 125 or so. They might still have it on sale not sure.

Edit: Just checked, its not on sale anymore.

hey thanks for the heads up, but im from canada lol. Price isnt that much of a concern, i just would like to stay bellow 200$.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
570 sli runs fine on my ax750

·
Registered
568 Posts
For those of you that are claiming a 750w psu is enough, have you measured the draw from the wall socket?

From all that I had read before picking up my second 570, all 'magazine/site' notes show total system power approaching 600w+ and some folks on here reporting even more.

If this is the case I'd be reluctant to strain my PSU with loads near 700w (factor in overclocks and/or additional drives) so I'll more than likely pick up the 1000w corsair just to play it safe.

My conclusion, will a 750w PSU work? Yes.
Will it work well? If it's a good unit then yes.
Would you be better off with an 850-950 unit? Absolutely.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
View Post

For those of you that are claiming a 750w psu is enough, have you measured the draw from the wall socket?

From all that I had read before picking up my second 570, all 'magazine/site' notes show total system power approaching 600w+ and some folks on here reporting even more.

If this is the case I'd be reluctant to strain my PSU with loads near 700w (factor in overclocks and/or additional drives) so I'll more than likely pick up the 1000w corsair just to play it safe.

My conclusion, will a 750w PSU work? Yes.
Will it work well? If it's a good unit then yes.
Would you be better off with an 850-950 unit? Absolutely.

The rating of the PSU is not its capacity in regards to what it can draw from the wall. Instead, it's the capacity that it can provide to the system.

So let's say that we have a system that is causing the power supply to pull 650W from the wall during a load test. Now let's also say that the efficiency is exactly 85% at the time of this power draw. This means that the computer system is pulling 552.5W from the power supply (650W * .85). So for this system, a quality 650W would be fine.

But now I'm curious: you have a TX750 powering your system and you have two GTX 570s in it. So, what's the highest power draw you've ever seen? Also, why are you saying things like "My conclusion, will a 750w PSU work? Yes. Will it work well? If it's a good unit then yes. Would you be better off with an 850-950 unit? Absolutely."? I mean again, you have a 750W power supply powering your system that has two GTX 570s in it. So if you are saying these things, then why don't you have a 'bigger' power supply?

Finally, don't worry about straining your PSU. According to these two excellent articles by Phaedrus2129, a quality 750W is right in the sweet spot for powering a modern system with two 570s in it:

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...fficiency.html

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...load-myth.html

[Source]

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i ran my rig off a 750w PSU for about 6 months without any issues....

somehow i think a 750 will be fine for SLI 570s....

I only upgraded to the 1KW PSU due to the fact my mate was upgrading and selling it cheap lol

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Also note that with quality supplies it will be rated at continuous, peak will be higher. If i recall correctly the AX750 can put out about 900 maximum and 750 continuous.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Correct and it's not difficult to figure out what the PSU it putting out once you have a reading at the wall socket.

I had the TX750 before I installed both 570's and now that they're installed I've been searching for a suitable replacement. The 750 is handling the job (in terms of no power cuts or other notable issues) but I would prefer to run a psu within it's higher efficiency range.

I'll get a wall measurement soon as I am curious on where my system stands but ultimately I will need to replace the PSU if I still plan on installing another 570.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

The rating of the PSU is not its capacity in regards to what it can draw from the wall. Instead, it's the capacity that it can provide to the system.

So let's say that we have a system that is causing the power supply to pull 650W from the wall during a load test. Now let's also say that the efficiency is exactly 85% at the time of this power draw. This means that the computer system is pulling 552.5W from the power supply (650W * .85). So for this system, a quality 650W would be fine.

But now I'm curious: you have a TX750 powering your system and you have two GTX 570s in it. So, what's the highest power draw you've ever seen? Also, why are you saying things like "My conclusion, will a 750w PSU work? Yes. Will it work well? If it's a good unit then yes. Would you be better off with an 850-950 unit? Absolutely."? I mean again, you have a 750W power supply powering your system that has two GTX 570s in it. So if you are saying these things, then why don't you have a 'bigger' power supply?

Finally, don't worry about straining your PSU. According to these two excellent articles by Phaedrus2129, a quality 750W is right in the sweet spot for powering a modern system with two 570s in it:

[Source]

·
Registered
370 Posts
The True Power 750 is a great PSU!
However i wouldn't recommend overclocking the cards AND the cpu at the same time

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Correct and it's not difficult to figure out what the PSU it putting out once you have a reading at the wall socket.

I had the TX750 before I installed both 570's and now that they're installed I've been searching for a suitable replacement. The 750 is handling the job (in terms of no power cuts or other notable issues) but I would prefer to run a psu within it's higher efficiency range.

I'll get a wall measurement soon as I am curious on where my system stands but ultimately I will need to replace the PSU if I still plan on installing another 570.

A third GTX 570? You bastid...

In that case, you should consider something like the HX850! Or, is that too expensive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr OCN
View Post

The True Power 750 is a great PSU!
However i wouldn't recommend overclocking the cards AND the cpu at the same time

Ha! I would.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

A third GTX 570? You bastid...

In that case, you should consider something like the HX850! Or, is that too expensive?

Ha! I would.

I was looking at the AX1200, no real intention of ever reaching its limits but I love that 100amp rail.

I was looking at the HX850 though, almost bought it the other day till I noticed Best Buy actually has the AX1000 for $250.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I was looking at the AX1200, no real intention of ever reaching its limits but I love that 100amp rail.

I was looking at the HX850 though, almost bought it the other day till I noticed Best Buy actually has the AX1000 for $250.

Going with an overkill PSU like that will result in a lower efficiency. This means that even though the power draw on the PSU doesn't change, the power draw at the wall will be higher than it would be with something like the HX850.

But here's more information about that:

• Rep+
Reactions: Dark

·
Registered
568 Posts
You bring up a good point though with 3 570's I would imagine my system will pull something around 600+ watts (from the psu) which would put it in the 'sweet spot' for the ax1200 and give me some room for overclocking/drives/etc. BUT I can see that during idle and low load periods you would be correct that it would likely place me outside of the efficiency.

I'll take your advice in to consideration and also look in to the HX1000.
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;12015889
Going with an overkill PSU like that will result in a lower efficiency. This means that even though the power draw on the PSU doesn't change, the power draw at the wall will be higher than it would be with something like the HX850.

But here's more information about that:

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/711542-efficiency.html

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/872013-50-load-myth.html

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
Why then on Newegg the PSU calculator say two 570's need 873 watts?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian;12019529
Why then on Newegg the PSU calculator say two 570's need 873 watts?
When I calculate my system with 2 570's on the Antec PSU calculator, it says 700 watt recommended.

(My 460 SLI 550w)

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
I know Newegg asks what CPU, motherboard range, memory, HDD and optical drive, devices are also running in their questions before showing recommended watts. Weird how each site varies.

I ask this because I'm thinking about either going one 580 with deitcated physx card or two 570's. I'd rather go two 570's but don't want to run my 1000watt psu past 800 watts and be at high load all the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts