Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Guys I Just Got A new PSU For My i5 2500K Build. The Computer would start and Power Cycle So I RMA The MB. Now I Put The New PSU In Older PC To Run Voltage Software On It I Used CPUID HWMonitor,PC Wizard 2010,SpeedFan & OCCT They All Read The +12v As 10.43v. This PSU Is A New Corsair CX600.My Old PSU Also Had The Same Reading What Could This Be & Is The New CX600 Safe For My Build Or Should I RMA It.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
First welcome to OCN.

Second, PLEASE dont capitalize every word. Its really distracting to read.

Now, What is the rest of your system like? (head to the User CP and fill in your system info)

A 600W PSU is fine for a 2500k and a single GPU.

As for Power Cycle... I have no idea on this app but i have read elsewhere that the only accurate way to read what the rails in your PSU are doing is via multimeter. Most of those programs are in accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
It's very very common for software readings to be quite inaccurate and report nonsense values like 10.43V for 12V when the real value is something like 12.19V.

The CX600 may have a problem potentially, but that is not very likely. Certainly, any software reading you take will not give you information one way or the other about the situation.

A voltage reading is not hard to take with a multimeter if you have access to one, and that would at least give you an estimate of the DC output levels (nothing about the AC ripple and noise though).

·
AMD Acolyte
1,679 Posts
Yep, get a multi-meter. they are useful for other stuff too.
I have this one. Not bad, though it's my first so don't know how it compares to others, just know it does everything i want it to.

If it makes you feel any better:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
1. If it was a Gigabyte motherboard the power cycling is normal.

2. NEVER EVER trust software monitors.

3. The only way you're going to overpower that thing is with a 590, 480, 460 2win, GTX 295, 6990, 5970, or a 4870x2.

Edit: If you're old PSU had the EXACT same readings then it is with no doubt a software malfunction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The old PC spec is a biostar MB with pentium D 840 with 2GB of RAM all IDE 20pin with 4pin MB. New PC will be 24pin with 8pin

New PC will be MSI P67A-G45
i5 2500k
8 gb of gskill sniper
EVGA GTX 550Ti
Crucial M4 64Gb SSD

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE3000
View Post

The old PC spec is a biostar MB with pentium D 840 with 2GB of RAM all IDE 20pin with 4pin MB. New PC will be 24pin with 8pin

New PC will be MSI P67A-G45
i5 2500k
8 gb of gskill sniper
EVGA GTX 550Ti
Crucial M4 64Gb SSD

Unless the PSU was skipped by QC then it should be fine. It definitely has enough power to run you're system even overclocked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i should not worry about the +12v reading wrong.Also the MSI P67A-G45 MB would power cycle i RMA it and i will get new 1 on monday now if it power cycles again what should i do. now when it power cycled it was the motherboard CPU and PSU i did not get no beeps for no RAM or POST beep so thats why i sent MB back.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE3000
View Post

So i should not worry about the +12v reading wrong.Also the MSI P67A-G45 MB would power cycle i RMA it and i will get new 1 on monday now if it power cycles again what should i do. now when it power cycled it was the motherboard CPU and PSU i did not get no beeps for no RAM or POST beep so thats why i sent MB back.

Nope don't worry about it. As for the MB if it does the same thing update the UEFI first before returning anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbmjhk6
View Post

Nope don't worry about it. As for the MB if it does the same thing update the UEFI first before returning anything.

How would i Update if PC would power cycle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone Help with that update UEFI if it would power cycle on Monday I will be putting computer together if i have a problem ill come back here for help.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,679 Posts
What do you mean by power cycle?
Continuous restarts or it restarts once or twice then go normal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It turns on for 1sec then you see PSU AND CPU fans go off and on till i shut off with back of PSU. I get the New MB Today so we will see if it was the MB. Also i got no Beeps for no RAM and no post beep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK.Guys its was a bad MB the New MB works fine. I just need to buy my SSD then computer is done. I want to thank everyone that helped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a new question now that the computer is together the BIOS say my i2500k is at 3.3GHz witch is normal but I have Turbo Boost on should it say 3.7GHz in BIOS or will I only see that when I run CPUID and stress CPU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts