Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're CONSTANTLY talking about PSU's here on the nVidia Graphics Card forum (mods: hint, hint
), I've created for my friends here a list of names of the PSU Manufacturers (OEMs) I personally would buy from (most of the time).

Second, there's a list of decent OEMs ... one's that I'd consider buying one of their PSU's.

And Third, there's a list of OEMS I'd avoid at all costs.

By the way, you can look up a PSU's real manufacturer by checking the UL number on the PSU label. It looks like EXXXXXX (where X is a number) and it's found underneath the UL logo (funny, that).

Google whatever number is there along with 'PSU' and you should be able to determine who makes the unit you bought or are looking at buying.

Anyways, here's the lists (I've also included the names of some of the known Brands that use these OEM's ... at least sometimes)

1) Top-notch, very solid PSU OEM's. I would buy almost any of their products:

Win-Tact (PC Power & Cooling)
Seasonic (Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PCP&C)
Enermax (Enermax)
Enhance (Coolermaster, Silverstone, BFG, Zalman)

2) Some other reputable PSU makers that I'd definitely consider, depending on the specific unit and price:

Seventeam (Seventeam, TT, Silverstone, Coolermaster)
Etasis (Etasis, Silverstone)
Topower (Topower, Tagan, OCZ)
Channel Well (Thermaltake, Hiper, Corsair, Antec)
Delta (Delta)
Andyson (Ultra, Hiper, Aerocool)
Fortron Supply Group (FSP, Sparkle, Be Quiet!, Zalman, OCZ, Silverstone, Antec)

3) OEM's I personally consider to be best entirely avoided:

Allied/Deer (who are truly in a class of suckitude all their own)
L&C Technology
San Hawk Technic
Solytech
Sirtec
Shenzhen Chi Yuan
Taiwan YoungYear
Wintech

As you can see, lots of brands use lots of OEM's, so it pays to check out the SPECIFIC model you are considering against the UL database to see who actually makes it.

This is all my personal opinion, based on reading TONS of PSU reviews over the years. Take it for what it's worth

• Rep+
Reactions: Clockadile Dundee

·
Registered
516 Posts
Stick Huntkey in the avoided list.
Shenzhen dingdong whatever is the official name of the company, but maybe put Huntkey in parentheses?

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismatex
View Post

Shenzhen dingdong whatever is the official name of the company, but maybe put Huntkey in parentheses?

I was gonna put Brands for all the cruddy makers, but this list was just taking
so long ... If the mods will let it stay in this forum, I'll fill some of those in

·
Registered
516 Posts
Huntkey is the brand name that Shamalomadingdong's PSUs are sold under.
They're also the OEM for several Rocketfish and Dynex units.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Anybody besides myself use an HEC-Compucase power supply? i have their 750watt "Zephyr" and it has some pretty poor reviews but has worked flawlessly for myself.

It is crossfireX certified, and i may crossfire it with another HD 4870, but due to some reviews, im a little bit reluctant to do so.

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
I would say the Fortron PSU's aren't that bad.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Protechnic makes fans not PSUs
. Etasis is on par with Win-tact. And it is Sirtec which technically no longer makes PSUs, their PSU division split off and goes by Sirfa now.

And anymore it isn't that easy to use UL #s to track down manufacturers, a lot of the big sellers use their own UL #s (called dual-listing).

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I would recommend Thermaltake Toughpower 850.Never had any problems with them.Rock Solid.Also come in1200 and 1500 Watts

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

Protechnic makes fans not PSUs

Ooops, you are correct sir, I missed the word 'fan' in the review I was reading. I will fix that, thank you!

And I was on the fence about etasis being on the first list or the second, I know they are a pretty good maker ... I'll look into it further on your advice

Quote:

View Post

And anymore it isn't that easy to use UL #s to track down manufacturers, a lot of the big sellers use their own UL #s (called dual-listing).

You are right on that point, unfortunately. But there are a couple of 'saving graces' to this situation.

The first is ... there's a lot of well-done PSU reviews out there on the web, and a lot of the reviewers (like Oklahoma Wolf @JonnyGuru) are really good at tracking down the true OEM's. So, looking up reviews is a great resource.

The second is that most of the companies that do have UL numbers of their own that they slap on their PSU's (rather than the actual OEM's UL number) are big, well-known companies that are unlikely to be putting their names on really cruddy PSU's.

There are some exceptions to this rule (like, I think Ultra has their own UL number, for example), but again ... if you're diligent about using the UL database, along with looking up reviews, you can generally find out who actually made the PSU you're looking at.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
It's really not all that hard to find the manufacturer. This list is fairly comprehensive. The author hasn't had time recently to keep it updated so a lot of the newer stuff isn't on there. If all else fails searching the forums at jonnyguru.com can help. As long as we can get a decent picture of the internals of a PSU most of the time someone will know what it is (I'm not too bad at this but a lot of the small Chinese manufacturers look the same).

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismatex
View Post

Huntkey's problem is that pretty much everything of theirs that people encounter is low end and rated at peak. The Rocketfish 700W is really a 550W continuous. They aren't bad at their continuous ratings. While they aren't the best, I would not put them in the same group as Deer and the other crap makers.

BFG's ES and EX series are Andyson and current LS series are Enhance.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Huntkey's problem is that pretty much everything of theirs that people encounter is low end and rated at peak. The Rocketfish 700W is really a 550W continuous. They aren't bad at their continuous ratings. While they aren't the best, I would not put them in the same group as Deer and the other crap makers.

BFG's ES and EX series are Andyson and current LS series are Enhance.
We can agree to disagree then, Zap my friend. If a maker is marketing 550W PSU's and saying they are 700W units, that puts them on my crappy list

Falling 5-10% short on rated watts is one thing, but ... 20%+?

Although, to be honest, I didn't want to try to break these OEM's down into another group that contained 'OEM's that pretty much s**k nearly all the time, but are not the absolute worst' ... so the bottom list may contain a couple of that OEM's that might've fallen into that category.

So you're right ... Huntkey is not the same caliber of terribleness that is Allied/Deer (who is, really?) ... but they're also a company I'd never buy a PSU made by them.

I think I made it pretty clear this is strictly my opinion, based primarily on reviews I've read. Although, all the brands on the top list, I've owned units from before (and some on the second).

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Forgot to add Rosewill and Raidmax to the garbage list.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Since we're CONSTANTLY talking about PSU's here on the nVidia Graphics Card forum (mods: hint, hint
), I've created for my friends here a list of names of the PSU Manufacturers (OEMs) I personally would buy from (most of the time).

Second, there's a list of decent OEMs ... one's that I'd consider buying one of their PSU's.

And Third, there's a list of OEMS I'd avoid at all costs.

By the way, you can look up a PSU's real manufacturer by checking the UL number on the PSU label. It looks like EXXXXXX (where X is a number) and it's found underneath the UL logo (funny, that).

Google whatever number is there along with 'PSU' and you should be able to determine who makes the unit you bought or are looking at buying.

Anyways, here's the lists (I've also included the names of some of the known Brands that use these OEM's ... at least sometimes)

1) Very Solid PSU OEM's, would buy almost any of their products

Win-Tact (PC Power & Cooling)
Seasonic (Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PCP&C)
Enermax (Enermax)
Enhance (Coolermaster, Silverstone, BFG, Zalman)
Seventeam (Seventeam, TT, Silverstone, Coolermaster)

2) Some Others Makers that I'd consider, depending on the specific unit

Delta (Delta)
Etasis (Etasis, Silverstone)
Topower (Topower, Tagan, OCZ)
Channel Well (Thermaltake, Hiper, Corsair, Antec)
Andyson (Ultra, Hiper, Aerocool)
Fortron Supply Group (FSP, Sparkle, Be Quiet!, Zalman, OCZ, Silverstone, Antec)

3) OEM's To Be Entirely Avoided:

Allied/Deer
L&C Technology
San Hawk Technic
Solytech
Sirtec
SHENZHEN CHI YUAN
Taiwan YoungYear
Wintech

As you can see, lots of brands use lots of OEM's, so it pays to check out the SPECIFIC model you are considering against the UL database to see who actually makes it.

This is all my personal opinion, based on reading TONS of PSU reviews over the years. Take it for what it's worth

Man I agree 100% with that!

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GigaByte View Post
Forgot to add Rosewill and Raidmax to the garbage list.
Naw, I didn't forget. Many (but not all) of the OEM's for these two companies are on the bottom list. I really don't want to populate the actual Brand names of the companies that rebrand and sell these low-end OEM's PSUs. Some people on OCN own some of these brands, and I don't people to feel like I'm bagging on their choice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

I havent heard of really any of those.

I use Antec, Corsair, Xion

They are OEMs - the companies that make the PSUs themselves.

Also, Xion PSUs are absolute crap.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Naw, I didn't forget. Many (but not all) of the OEM's for these two companies are on the bottom list. I really don't want to populate the actual Brand names of the companies that rebrand and sell these low-end OEM's PSUs. Some people on OCN own some of these brands, and I don't people to feel like I'm bagging on their choice.
Well Raidmax usually uses low end, overrated Andyson designs. They've also been known to use ATNG, Sun Pro and Topower, but the newer stuff is usually Andyson. Rosewill uses ATNG for the most part, but they do have a few models from Solytech, Wintech and Youngyear. Oh and Solytech, L&C, Deer, Allied and Apex are all the same company selling the same products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismatex View Post
They are OEMs - the companies that make the PSUs themselves.

Also, Xion PSUs are absolute crap.
I wouldn't say they are absolute crap, but they aren't very good. The 700W and under units are based on dated and mediocre Seventeam units. The 800W and up units are less mediocre, but still doesn't stand up to the other 1kW units at similar prices.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

We can agree to disagree then, Zap my friend. If a maker is marketing 550W PSU's and saying they are 700W units, that puts them on my crappy list

I like agreeing to disagree.

The thing is that someone can take a Seasonic (which most people think are really good) and sell a 550W Seasonic as a 700W Crappitfish. Would that mean you automatically avoid all Seasonic from then on?

I know I'm splitting hairs, but it is really a lot more complex than that. Example:

Quote:

View Post

I wouldn't say they are absolute crap, but they aren't very good. The 700W and under units are based on dated and mediocre Seventeam units.

Seventeam is on your #1 list, but here we have mediocre Seventeam units.

Back to Seasonic for a moment. Seasonic S12-II (and later units), Antec EarthWatts, Antec True Power Trio and several Corsair models are all made by Seasonic. Are they all the same? No, most people would consider Corsair to be actually better than ones sold as a Seasonic, with Seasonic second and EarthWatts last.

The #2 list is a "depending on unit." IMO that goes for just about any PSU OEM that is capable of making decent units (which means it does not include Deer/etc.). The "manufacturer" (company who's name is on PSU box) can specify to the OEM how they want the unit built and what wattage number to put on the sticker.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts