Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PC is like 5 or 6 years old now I guess and I have had this new issue repeat itself I believe 3 times. At first guess I am thinking either PSU or a now slightly unstable CPU OC, I decided to try the PSU forum since we don't have a generic troubleshoot section.

It only happens after a hour or 2 of gaming and not every time, but I will be mid round in BF1 and my whole system will just power off instantly and then like 2 seconds later it will boot itself back up and come to a black screen saying Windows didn't shut down properly. No blue screen or freezing or anything like that.

I am not sure where all to check for logs that may help, I think the only thing I have ever found is an error again saying things didn't shut down right or just lost power unexpectedly, something along those lines in the event viewer.

I am like 99% sure there are no cooling issues.

Would this likely point to a failing PSU or would these be symptoms of a CPU OC not quite having enough voltage any more and once it trips that tiny threshold the system shuts down?
I was thinking CPU OCs would blue screen and have some code letting you know it is power related so that is why I leaned toward PSU first.

What else can I look into in terms of logs to help or what is your opinion as to why my PC shuts down sometimes while gaming?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
It would be somewhat helpful if you told which PSU you have

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
Its not bad but that does not mean it cant be dying
Its a 6 year old Highpower design with a 5 year warranty

Best way to find out if there is something wrong with your PSU is either to test it with a digtal multi meter
Or try another PSU if you have one extra or can borrow one

If your warranty is out then you might want to think about if you should just buy a new PSU anyway

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the minimal information I provided, does it seem like the PSU is a likely cause of the shutdowns/restarts?
Or another way to ask, would a PSU issue be possible to cause the PC to just abruptly shut down with no freeze, warning, blue screen, etc?

One last piece since I know you are very knowledgeable with PSUs, my system with a single OCed 1070, OCed 3770K, various fans, SSDs, etc. and in the future a probable upgrade to a modern system with another OCed i7 and likely still a single GPU (maybe 2)... would you recommend 750W or what wattage to be smart, but not overkill?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
A psu can absolutely cause those issues. As for what to buy, a good 750w-850w will be more than enough to run a couple high end cards. Shilka can better tell you which models are best to buy, but I know the seasonic prime series is good.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
For a system with a single GPU you dont need more than a 550 watt in most cases with some exceptions like messing around with volt mods
750 watt is massive overkill for a system with a 3770K and a GTX 1070 even with OC and a 450 watt would be enough power for your system

You want room for a second GTX 1070 and a 650 watt would be enough for that

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That sounds like PSU, or something is literally hitting it's temperature max & the motherboard is shutting down to avoid damage. More than likely, it's the PSU.

Your PSU if I recall correctly is made by a quality company (can't remember which but it's the same people that make either Silverstone or Corsair PSUs make OCZ's boxes etc.), but it may be it's outta juice, so to speak, they don't last forever like a properly cooled CPU can. Power supplies lose effectiveness as they age, the higher the rating (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, titanium etc), the better their efficiency & those components also play a role in how "long" it takes them to lose said efficiency. At least that's what I've read, I'm by no means a PSU expert.

If you aren't strapped for cash, I would suggest picking up a quality PSU in the 650W or so range, to give yourself some headroom for future upgrades, & give that a try. If the issue persists then you know it wasn't your PSU, & you can always send it back for a refund.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
The OEM behind the PSU he has is called HighPower aka Sirtec aka Sirfa and they have never made anything for Corsair
They have made stuff for SilverStone but never Corsair

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, especially Shilka.

So just to clarify for myself, are CPUs using less and less power each revision or if increasing, not increasing much?
I ask because I want to be sure if say in a year or 2 I decide to build a... Z570 system with an i7 or something along those lines (even if that becomes 6C12T instead of 4C8T) I won't have to buy another PSU then because of a larger wattage need.

I will likely look into 650W for the case that I may go with 2 1070s or in a few years consider bumping to the XX80 or XX80Ti levels.

I understand that to be efficient, I need to be in the correct power band so buying too much overkill won't be helping me in any way.
Back when I got the 1000W, I had come from probably a ****ty brand PSU and not too low of wattage, but at the time it seemed like it was under-powered so I decided then that I would not make the mistake again and went with more than enough which happened to also be on sale. I have sense learned more (like we hopefully all do) and will make better decisions when it's time to do my next major rebuild. Or in this case, try to plan ahead the best I can so it is one less component to purchase when doing the major rebuild.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,817 Posts
The power draws for low and mid range CPU´s have stayed the same for more or less the last 10 years and i dont see how that is going to change
The exception are the high end CPU´s like X79/X99/X299 and X399

GPU´s are the bigest power hogs not the CPU
As for SLI and Crossfire for gaming thats the last thing you should be doing as its a waste of money and the support is pretty much dead

·
EhmayWuntee
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, I forgot another big plus to my PSU was that it came from the factory with individually sleeved cables. If I get a new one I don’t think that is really a thing manufacturers do, but I can obviously buy or make my own at a fairly serious price premium... now this got a bit less of a sure thing to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts