Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gamer and Watercooler!
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased new sleeved cables (not extensions) for my EVGA 850 P2 PSU. The 24 pin cable was not long enough to reach my PSU when I have it positioned with cool air coming into the PSU. I have a Caselabs SMA8, so there is a radiator blowing into the bottom compartment where the PSU is. I had to swap the PSU position to where the fan is in direct flow of the radiator heat air. Will I have a problem with this? Is it okay for hot air to be blowing into the PSU and the PSU sucking that hot air up?

Basically, I just flipped the PSU to where the 24 pin insert is toward the top side, rather than the bottom side.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,885 Posts
it's fine.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
: personal opinion :
::sometimes it helps, if not, discard::

Typical 2018 PC builder.

You spent an extra thousand or nearabouts only for the chassis.
You spent even more for additional extras, such as cables; read: fluff, of zero import. But worth a pretty penny nonetheless, full 3-digit number in fact.
'A' fluff cable, said one of zero import, is not long enough. Your solution? The PSU being placed in such a manner so as to suck hot air in for its cooling. Hot air, straight from a rad, lol. All so as not to miss the fluff; yes, the one of no import.

Inevitable question of: "is that O.K."?
Inevitable answer of yet another current times builder: "It's fine"!

If i could only propose to position another rad so as to blow hot air straight onto your VRMs/SoC fets, above? If only to complete the picture. Most do that too, so i mean why not join them.

And my scathing commentary aside, for which i hope you'll forgive me.. even if it was fine yeah? Say your PSU is a 1600W Seasonic levels of quality beast and your current rig eats up a measly amount of Watts total, peanuts for your PSU; say 200 tops, nothing. Even so, can you really not see an issue where you, like thousands of others before you, spend fortunes only so as to, ultimately, do things the wrong way round?
On an entirely theoretical level.. you, your capacity for reason and what it entails for your way of living, your stance in life, call it what you will. Does the above strike you as O.K.?

/rhetorical

* Because some actually do think it's O.K. And then come here and make threads about VRMs overheating, baad, bad motherboard; and PSUs shutting down, baad, bad PSU manufacturers. And RAMs overheating! Who'd have thought a rad displacing 500Watts of heat straight onto a RAM module could cause issues, right!?..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts