Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys I'm not good with titles lol, but here goes.

I've currently using a SHAW PSU(Yes i know there bad, and i want to get rid of it ASAP, to me its like a bomb with a timer, could go off any second unexpectedly lol) and would like to get rid of it ASAP, I've had it currently for 6 months so I'm amazed it hasn't exploded yet, but here goes

I'm getting $50 dollars for Christmas however I'm wondering if the PSU, I plan to get is good, and will last at least 2-3 years.

The PSU is a Cooler Master OEM S Series RS400-ASABS1 400Watt 80Plus Silver Power Supply Unit.

1. Is this PSU any good, or should i go for a dearer one
2. If this PSU dies, will it take my entire computer down with it?
3. Is it good quality?
4. On a scale from 1-10 how bad are SHAW PSU? I think there bad, but would like your say on them.

Just to put it out there, I only need 400 watts since this is only a programming computer, and i like to do retro gaming xD, anything higher then 400 watts would be over kill for what i need.

Also, sorry about my bad grammar and spelling, half the reason why i have spelling problems is due to my hearing issues, and i wasn't really taught grammar well at school.

- Thanks AppleSpare

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, that PSU would perfectly suit your needs, but I would definitely recommend Corsair power supplies, like the Corsair VS450. Corsair are well-known for their high-quality parts that last for a long period of time. Currently, I am using this bad boy.
thumb.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Why not get a Corsair CX430 instead its not great but its fine for what you are going to use your system for.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesparse View Post

@shilka Seems like a Good PSU, but my computer shop doesn't sell them :/ they only sell the VS Series
The VS series is trash so dont get one of those.
i dont know that Cooler Master you like cany chance you can give me the name and not the model code?

Or better yet you can give me a link to that shop if they have a site and i can take a look what they have at what price.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Its rubbish ripple is 120mv which is right on the limit of ATX specifications.
No you should not buy that PSU and its not even a 400 watt unit more like 350 watt in the real world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, i see, I'm guessing that would be a bad thing then, because my computer would push that to the limit?

What about the Thermal Take Litepower 500W OEM?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Quote:

Ah, i see, I'm guessing that would be a bad thing then, because my computer would push that to the limit?

What about the Thermal Take Litepower 500W OEM?
Even worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the EVGA 430W Power Supply?
If that bad, then what ones do you recommend that are in my price range, I might have to by them online.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, the local computer shop doesn't, I just want a better PSU then i currently have, you know those generic cheep PSUs the no names and stuff like that, I just don't want one that will destroy my computer if it fails.
smile.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,953 Posts
Quote:

Nah, the local computer shop doesn't, I just want a better PSU then i currently have, you know those generic cheep PSUs the no names and stuff like that, I just don't want one that will destroy my computer if it fails.
smile.gif
Cant you get them to order something because what they is all rubbish

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not entirely sure, I don't think so though, should the EVGA be okay to use in the mean time until i can afford something much better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
for an inexpensive power supply, evga would be fine.

There are online stores that constantly have rebate deals on the corsair 430. I picked up one for 14.99 after rebate (20 dollar), no fuss, no muss with Corsair.

That said, i do have a EVGA 500 watt power supply in about 30+ computers at my work, and have not had an issue with anyof them. These are your standard dell 960's and 990's.. nothing to fancy mind you...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts