Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BFG power supply is starting to produce weird noises that it never did before. It is a small pop or "tick", very similar to the sound of someone popping their toes or fingers. It happens very rarely during operation but also happens randomly after the PC is shut down for like five minutes. Nothing is acting up, no crashes or anything but its starting to scare me. If the sound is a sign of its death approaching then I don't want to wait and have it take other components with it.

I WOULD call up BFG and have them honor their lifetime warranty for the second time but well... we all know what happened there.

If I decided to replace the PSU then it would have to be modular. After looking at Tater's PSU guide the XFX 650W stood out as a good deal. (If you know of a better choice please recommend away) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-007-_-Product

I'm not sure it will be enough, I know it will be close but I also don't want to be loading this thing to its capacity 24/7. Imagine this build:

i7 920 C0 @ 4Ghz
SLI GTX460 at around 800-830C
Two hard drives.
Seven or so 120mm 1500RPM fans.
3x2GB of RAM
Sound card
Disc drive

Would this be pushing it on that 650W PSU? I can spend the extra cash on the 750W but If I don't need the wattage it will just be a waste of money. If you have any other suggestions please post them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Any good brand PSU will do it in the 750W range. If you plain to OC I'd go with 750W-850W. Corsair, Enermax, Antec, Seasonic.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raizooor3 View Post
Any good brand PSU will do it in the 750W range. If you plain to OC I'd go with 750W-850W. Corsair, Enermax, Antec, Seasonic.
Largely overkill, a good 550w will do it easily, overclocked.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't listen to these idiots. That XFX PSU will run your system great, like Gameboy said you only really need a 550w PSU to power everything even overclocked. But stick with that 650w so you have head room if you ever want to add to your current system.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Are there any other alternative PSU's that I am overlooking in the quality 650-750W modular $100ish price range that come with 5 year or similar warranties?

I know newegg reviews are sometimes BS but when a number of them complain about the same thing it is usually true. In this case people are complaining about the fan clicking loudly in that XFX 650W. I know for a fact that this would quickly drive me up the wall.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thanks for the replies. Are there any other alternative PSU's that I am overlooking in the quality 650-750W modular $100ish price range that come with 5 year or similar warranties?
Above all I'd recommend the Antec TP-650:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371021

The SeaSonic M12II 620 is also an option but I believe the Antec is a better performer, although it is less modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151095

As far as performance vs. price goes you can't really beat the XFX unit among its modular peers.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
I'd daresay a 400W would do it.

OCZ SXS400, Seasonic S12 II 420 would hold your system nicely.

Unless you're planning on going SLI, that is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts