Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Total PSU newb here looking for a bit of help

Power Supplies, I get the basics, kinda. But theres something Im curious about

If I get a PSU that is `overkill`, does it draw more power for the same load as a non-overkill PSU? For example, lets say my rig runs around 300-350W. Would a 400W PSU be ideal (electric bill, etc) or would a 750W PSU still draw the same amount of power (and simply have the capacity to draw more if needed).

Second, what size/wattage PSU would you suggest for the following two/four rigs:

CPU
  1. AMD Phenom II x4 955
  2. Intel Core i7 920/930
Components
  • 1x nVidia GTX460 / 2x GTX460 running in SLI
  • 2x 1TB SATA II/III HDD
  • 2x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz
  • 1x DVD & CD +/- RW

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
A PSU running at full load will not last as long as an overkill PSU running at lower power. But you shouldn't go too far with the overkill. The sweet spot is to run the PSU at 70-80% of capacity for efficiency. However, many of the newer gold rated units hold the numbers right up to full power. I'd still go with having a bit more power so it's back to the 70-80% figure.
I'd suggest you go with a 600-700w unit, the seasonic X-650, corsair AX or Antec TPN will do you fine.

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
Yeah a PSU only draws what it needs. However, large differences between capacity and actual load will hurt efficiency numbers (i.e. it would be bad to use a 1000W PSU for a 150W system). I would get the Antec True Power New 650W, X650 is amazing but costs alot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxyy View Post
Here use this calculator to figure out how many watts you need.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Then check out the PSU recommendation thread.
I have and that thing seems highly inaccurate to me. Changed nothing, selected PIIx4 955.
~ 136w min & 186w recommended at 90% load.
~ 163w min & 213w recommended at 100% load.

This means fans and everything is set to 0. Basic mobo, etc. Curious to see 163w min at 100% load on a CPU that is 125w max TDP. Unless Im overlooking something obvious which happens often enough with stuff I only barely grasp ^^

·
Premium Member
14,347 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud007 View Post
Is that thread even useful anymore? It was made back in 2007 =/.
Ive noticed many `sticky` threads with recommended parts are highly out of date on other parts of this forum.

check the small edit footnote.

That will tell you if its up to date.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud007 View Post
Is that thread even useful anymore? It was made back in 2007 =/.
Ive noticed many `sticky` threads with recommended parts are highly out of date on other parts of this forum.
Tator Tot is keeping it up to date, it's very current. Last updated like one or two weeks ago I think.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
check the small edit footnote.

That will tell you if its up to date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Tator Tot is keeping it up to date, it's very current. Last updated like one or two weeks ago I think.
Ah, my mistake. Forgot to check the time it was last updated.

Are all the PSUs in the recommended list fairly quiet? Im sure being on that list likely means their noise & ripple is low, but perhaps not necessarily their acoustic noise. Tis one thing I forgot to mention. I'd like to keep the rig Im building fairly quiet

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
My thread is up to date as of a week ago, and will have some significant changes soon-ish.

Currently I am waiting on PSU Manufacturers to release models (some which have been reviewed, some which were not yet.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.