Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built this rig yesterday, and have had zero issues so far.

However, my PSU (I'm 95% certain that is what's making the noise, I put my ear right next to it and it's pretty obvious that's where it's coming from) is emitting a high-pitched squeal, that starts off at barely audible, then gets progressively louder over the course of about 5 seconds, then restarts this cycle again.

I read a review of the PSU on Newegg where the guy listed a similar squeal as a con, but mentioned that it went away after a week or so.

When I fire up a game, the squeal becomes constant (not cycling from soft to loud), and stays loud. It's incredibly aggravating, because the squeal is right on the edge of supersonic, and cuts above all but the loudest sounds from my speakers (kind of like an old tube TV type of squeal).

What's the deal? I spent like 2 hours on cable management and taking it all out is the last thing I want to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Most Corsair PSUs have some sort of squeal problem, as stated from NewEgg reviews. When I cut the power from my rig, it makes a high pitched noise like it's crying and doesn't want to be turned off lol. As for a constant high pitched noise, I'm not too sure on, but it is rather common I suppose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous rig that I had for 2 years was powered by a Corsair 750TX that never had any problems, let alone any noise/squeal problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
I've had a Thermaltake Toughpower PSU for almost 3 years that has done this since the day I bought it. Some people will tell you that it's capacitor or inductor whine and that it's about to die. That might be true in some cases, but in my case, and probably yours too, its just a capacitor or inductor vibrating at a high frequency when just the right load is put on the PSU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg View Post
I've had a Thermaltake Toughpower PSU for almost 3 years that has done this since the day I bought it. Some people will tell you that it's capacitor or inductor whine and that it's about to die. That might be true in some cases, but in my case, and probably yours too, its just a capacitor or inductor vibrating at a high frequency when just the right load is put on the PSU.
But doesn't it drive you crazy? I feel like I'm going to go deaf...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Also, if you're feeling dangerous and want to void your warranty and crack open the PSU, you can try to isolate the vibrating component (using a toilet paper tube as a noise isolator) and put hot glue on it as hot glue is non-conductive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg View Post
Also, if you're feeling dangerous and want to void your warranty and crack open the PSU, you can try to isolate the vibrating component (using a toilet paper tube as a noise isolator) and put hot glue on it as hot glue is non-conductive.
Meh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,259 Posts
The squeeling comes from the top-lid of a capicitator that is vibrating. Sometimes the squeeling dissapears over time, sometimes it doesn't. The squeeling doesn't have any negative effects on the quality or durability of your psu, it's just annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrec Barrwin View Post
But doesn't it drive you crazy? I feel like I'm going to go deaf...
Yeah it can get a bit annoying at times. Luckily for me, the only times it REALLY starts to get loud is under pretty specific conditions. Furmark made it pretty loud, and the login screen for WoW oddly enough.

If its super annoying to you and the PSU is new enough, go ahead and RMA it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pir View Post
The squeeling comes from the top-lid of a capicitator that is vibrating. Sometimes the squeeling dissapears over time, sometimes it doesn't. The squeeling doesn't have any negative effects on the quality or durability of your psu, it's just annoying.
Good to know, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also went to a Deftones concert last night, maybe my ears are still ringing


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
More likely coil whine than cap squeal.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top