Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new here. I've been lurking for about two months and finally decided to make an account. Anyway my first post is asking for advice about an intermittent vibration noise that I believe is coming from my power supply, It's been doing this for about 5 months and the build is about 9 months old. I talked to a cooler master rep and they said to reinstall it, which I did to find that the noise was just more pronounced.

I'm fairly certain it's the power supply making the noise because I've tried it with each other component with moving parts unplugged and the noise still occurred.

This is kind of odd, but when I turn my HSF control to a higher RPM the power supply noise increases in frequency too. Could this be because my HSF is right underneath the intake for the power supply?

Is this noise something I need to worry about like RMA worthy or should I just deal.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the post was a bit long.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3v3r3nd View Post
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new here. I've been lurking for about two months and finally decided to make an account. Anyway my first post is asking for advice about an intermittent vibration noise that I believe is coming from my power supply, It's been doing this for about 5 months and the build is about 9 months old. I talked to a cooler master rep and they said to reinstall it, which I did to find that the noise was just more pronounced.

I'm fairly certain it's the power supply making the noise because I've tried it with each other component with moving parts unplugged and the noise still occurred.

This is kind of odd, but when I turn my HSF control to a higher RPM the power supply noise increases in frequency too. Could this be because my HSF is right underneath the intake for the power supply?

Is this noise something I need to worry about like RMA worthy or should I just deal.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the post was a bit long.
Reinstall what?
Fan, or take the unit out and put it back in?

Can you stop the psu fan with a pencil or something?

Welcome to OCN

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Reinstall what?
Fan, or take the unit out and put it back in?

Can you stop the psu fan with a pencil or something?

Welcome to OCN
Took PSU out and put it back in. I'll try that and post results.

And thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If you increase the HSF speed and the vibration frequency increases, I think it's unlikly to be the PSU fan, as that wouldn't increase at the same time, or at the same rate. I suppose the PSU could be vibrating at the same rate as the HSF but you could just grab hold of it to cancel out the vibration there and confirm if that's the culprit. I would suggest the source of your vibration would be much more likely to be coming from either case side panels, or something behind those panels like wires etc?

Try touching/pressing slightly on all the various parts of the machine whilst running (be careful and mind the hot bits) to see if you can trace the source.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
If you increase the HSF speed and the vibration frequency increases, I think it's unlikly to be the PSU fan, as that wouldn't increase at the same time, or at the same rate. I suppose the PSU could be vibrating at the same rate as the HSF but you could just grab hold of it to cancel out the vibration there and confirm if that's the culprit. I would suggest the source of your vibration would be much more likely to be coming from either case side panels, or something behind those panels like wires etc?

Try touching/pressing slightly on all the various parts of the machine whilst running (be careful and mind the hot bits) to see if you can trace the source.
Ah man I just figured out the problem. I tried touching everything while it was running (was too scared to try it before) and then I realized I forgot about my tiny ram fans and it turned out to be those which makes sense given they're right in front of my HSF... Sorry for the thread waste and thanks for all the help <3

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
its either a fan or compasitors vibrating u can bring it back easiest thing todo or open up if its a compasator they sell some appoxy for them i will get name of the kind my buddy used be baught a 1500watt psu replaced fan with a low speed low noise one and had to but that stuff to hold some compasators tilss and now its silent..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts