Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I tested my +5 +12 and +3.3 lines on my psu with a multimeter and
here are the results I received and im not sure if I should be concerned or not or if I should replace the power supply

+5 = 5.26v
+12 = 12.42v
+3.3 = 3.47v

I tried doing max load on cpu and max load on gpu and then max load on both no changes in voltage

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Well...

The 12V rail is a little high, but it's still well within ATX spec which allows for +/- 5% (so 11.4V-12.6V). You won't be doing any damage to your hardware.

The 5V rail is beyond ATX spec, which allows for +/- 5%, so 4.75V-5.25V. I'm uncomfortable with this. I'm thinking that it would be okay (the figures are a bit conservative).

The 3.3V rail is (yet again) +/- 5%, so you're safe between 3.135V and 3.465V. Again, you're just outside ATX spec (5mV... nothing at all).

I'm a little uncomfortable with it, it has to be said. I'd replace it if I were you.

If you were in the market for a new power supply, I'd recommend the Antec TruePower New 750W - it's pretty much the best value PSU out there.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Hmm... if you think it's worth the rig downtime, yes.

You might get a newer model from Silverstone on the RMA.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
The S12D 850W is an amazing power supply. Pretty badass.

The Antec is a very quality unit. It's actually of higher quality than your Silverstone technically, and would be a better performer. 750W is more than enough for your rig, even if you got another GTX 470. You're doing what 95% of OCN does: vastly overestimating your power requirements.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool thank you for all your help now its just a toss up between the two units but I get a few days to decide that have to wait for the refund on my kingwin supply that blew itself up. another quick question will I cause any harm by using the current one till the new on arrives sometime next week?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhany View Post
cool thank you for all your help now its just a toss up between the two units but I get a few days to decide that have to wait for the refund on my kingwin supply that blew itself up. another quick question will I cause any harm by using the current one till the new on arrives sometime next week?
Not really.

Your DMM is not going to be 100% accurate, so the voltage could be within ATX spec (but barely) so it's not going to be life or death.

It's not ideal, but it will work and shouldn't cause any damage. The ATX spec range is slightly conservative (but it has to be; if they said that 12.7V was safe and it turned out that it wasn't, they'd be in a lot of trouble).

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Not really.

Your DMM is not going to be 100% accurate, so the voltage could be within ATX spec (but barely) so it's not going to be life or death.

It's not ideal, but it will work and shouldn't cause any damage. The ATX spec range is slightly conservative (but it has to be; if they said that 12.7V was safe and it turned out that it wasn't, they'd be in a lot of trouble).

Thank you again I probably going to go with the Antec as you recommended most of the new egg reviews are good and most of the bad ones are doa or defective units

1 - 11 of 11 Posts