Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a PS3 over the weekend and I got that urge to play a few classic PSX games. Mainly Oddworld Abes Oddessey. I went digging tho my box of old consoles to find my PSX games, but couldnt find them, just the psx console itselt. I really want to play this game again, I dunno why but I do.

I found it pretty cheap online for about 10 bucks shipped. Now I just wanna know this: How do the PSX games look on the PS3; on lets say a 50+ in 1080p HDTV? Is it gonna be crappy looking or pixielated... is it gonna be worth the 10 bucks to play or even worth the time to play?

I tried looking arond but all I found was some video showing how well the PS3 makes PSX games and it ended up being FF7 on PSX vs FF7 Tech Demo...

Thanks

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
I have a 40 inch LCD and I have to say that PSX games do look pretty good. They are stretched a bit but considering its on such a big tv it does a good job adapting it.
Its not so bad that you wont be able to get used to it.

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
The only games I have played were FF games and other RPG's, I find RPG's are the only PS1 games that age decently and are the only ones that I can play.

Good stories always age well.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a 20GB PS3 about a year ago and had some PS1 games, they didn't look that bad on my 22in monitor at 720p resolution. But, the PS3 did up scale the picture. Honestly, the best way to play a PSX game now is on an emulator from your computer. IMO

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The problem is that older games were formatted for full screen, I absolutely HATE the fact that people actually play some of them strecthed. It sickens me. It makes it look WORSE than it could if it was just run in full screen. LEARN TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON YOUR TV'S/MONITORS PEOPLE!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bear
View Post

The problem is that older games were formatted for full screen, I absolutely HATE the fact that people actually play some of them strecthed. It sickens me. It makes it look WORSE than it could if it was just run in full screen. LEARN TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON YOUR TV'S/MONITORS PEOPLE!

Learn to let people do whatever they want with their console. No need to be a control freak about others peoples ways of viewing a game.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think it's worth the 10 bucks to see for yourself. I personally don't mind them and feel some still hold up if you love the game so much.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

The PSX supports resolutions from 256Ã-224 to 640Ã-480, so that upscaled to your TV is what you should expect.

The PS3 might be rendering them at a much higher res though... sure, the textures are still low res, but you don't get the crappy edges that you get from upscaling normally.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma
View Post

The PS3 might be rendering them at a much higher res though... sure, the textures are still low res, but you don't get the crappy edges that you get from upscaling normally.

the PS3 cant render the games past their own set limit, it will upscale instead.

for me the graphics dont mean anything if i love the game enough. i still play MGS1, also have my copies of RE1 and RE3, havnt tried them out yet, playing too much RE5.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yea it......idk lol PSX era was my favorite so i dont really mind the graphics : ). its rly just gonna look the same it did when you first played it....i dont notice anything with that upscaling feature.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo
View Post

I thought it looked like utter crap

EDIT:

But then again 3D games don't age very well

I have to completely agree that 3D games do not age gracefully in the least. However, to the OP it's really a personal call. Some don't mind the way it looks on a large HDTV. I find it hard to play even my PS2 games on my 57" set at this point. As much as I love a lot of my PSX/PS2 games and as good as they looked at the time it's just hard for me to look at it at this point.

Anyway, hell for 10 bucks why not pick it up even just for sentimental sake!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.