Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
This is a new series we're starting that takes a look at how the PlayStation 3 is progressing, and how it currently stacks up against the competition. At the end, we'll issue a score on a 10-point scale, so as an example, the system would've scored a 2 or 3 - if only for potential and a few decent exclusives - during the early months of its existence.

We've all noticed how rapidly and significantly the PS3's position has changed over the past couple of years, so we believe it's time to step back and take both an objective and subjective look at the system's current market position (there's always a hint of subjectivity, regardless of the situation). As of now, let's take a look at the pluses and minuses:

Plus: Killzone 2 just launched: It's easily one of the best games of the generation, arguably the best FPS in history, and arguably the best PlayStation 3 exclusive to date. It's both intense and highly polished and is widely considered to be a must-play by most journalists and avid gamers. This should translate to the title being a legitimate system-seller, too, but we won't know that until we see an increase in hardware sales in the next stat report.

Plus: The PSN is on the seemingly permanent upswing:
With more and more content flooding our way, we've seen great additions to great titles, a lot of cool content (like Qore and Pulse), and exclusive downloadable titles that have been well worth the price of admission. Most recently, we would point you in the direction of Flower, which remains one of the more impressive achievements we've laid eyes on.

Plus/Neutral: PlayStation Home: This is like a cross because while Home keeps garnering new members and the new Spaces certainly enhance the experience, it seems they're a ways from recognizing the application's true potential. The expectations remain super high, but they've got a lot of work to do.

Neutral: Blu-Ray is still a bonus...but leveling off: Standalone Blu-Ray player prices have fallen and in this economy, it may not be worth it to spring for the $400 PS3. Furthermore, with no massively huge releases since "The Dark Knight," Blu-Ray sales haven't done much of anything. However, the benefit to game developers becomes clearer with every passing day, and let's not forget about the Blu-Ray version of "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children"...

Negative: Still a lack of marketing/advertising: Killzone 2 came and went, and while we did see a few commercials and there was plenty of promotion in print publications and online, I think we all agree it could've been much more visible. They've still got to work this out, and they had better push upcoming exclusives like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III with more vigor.

Negative: Price: It's still the priciest console out there and the economy just makes everything worse.

In the end, the future outlook for the PS3 remains good. It appears as if it will thrive on the excellent exclusives on the way, and there should be a price cut some time later this year. So in looking at things right now, we will assign a current analysis score of-

7.5/10
PSX

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psilocybe View Post
Best FPS in history, eh?
'Arguably' is the key word there. Heck you could say Hexen is arguably the best FPS ever.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
While this may seem like a fanboy comment, I assure you its not.

I am not sure how qualified a bunch of ps3 fanboys are to judge the ps3 in relation to every other console.. it seems a bit biased to me. I mean, I could think of both more plus and negatives, maybe even some neutrals, and I havent even really seen much of the ps3. Oh well, I suppose its better than microsoft judging them.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
I love my PS3. It may not get the most attention from me in my digital-harem, but I do love it so.

The one gripe (and it is completely subjective) that I would add is the lack of KB and mouse for all games. I realise that this is a short-coming on my part.... I just need more practice with the controller.

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Best FPS in history, eh?
I hated the controls for this game... felt like the new medal of honor game (lag input on both analog sticks)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
I hated the controls for this game... felt like the new medal of honor game (lag input on both analog sticks)
Not really noticing this input lag everyone keeps talking about, although the aiming controls aren't as good as the ones in resistance 2.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Not really noticing this input lag everyone keeps talking about, although the aiming controls aren't as good as the ones in resistance 2.
Agreed.

I have a hard time centering the reticule on moving targets.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk View Post

I am not sure how qualified a bunch of ps3 fanboys are to judge the ps3 in relation to every other console.. it seems a bit biased to me. I mean, I could think of both more plus and negatives, maybe even some neutrals, and I havent even really seen much of the ps3. Oh well, I suppose its better than microsoft judging them.
what part of the article or anyones comments here make you even use the word fanboy? so early on in the thread and we already have someone sparking up the word..

I'd call the analysis pretty accurate. sony's advertising and commercial presence is abysmal with their biggest titles. The most advertising effort I saw from them was for littlebigplanet. Yet they seem to be reluctant to really push out a big campaign for their big titles. Arguably the titles dont NEED to be pushed but we know for a fact that when a company shoves a game in our faces at every given possibility (halo 3) the sales inevitably shoot up. I never saw one killzone 2 commercial in the cinema. Only a few times on TV. And no banners/posters on the streets. Its a shame because killzone's trailer is breathtaking.

I don't agree with what they said about the blu-ray feature. Yes, the PS3 is no longer the cheapest blu-ray player but it is perhaps the most capable. With fully updated firmware and full BD-Live support. No big releases since the dark knight? there are new releases every monday in bunches. They obviously aren't great movie fans..

I think at the end of this year the PS3 according to this analysis will be at an 8.0/8.5 with its catalogue of exclusives firmly set and in peoples hands. By then all of sony's major projects will be available to PS3 users (most of which already are) and with the possibility of a price cut (although I argue it doesn't need one) we should see the sales figures going up too. Whatever happens there is no way any other console fans can deny the PS3's presence and appeal in the market now. Regardless of sales statistics.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Best FPS in history, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike View Post
'Arguably' is the key word there. Heck you could say Hexen is arguably the best FPS ever.

Fixed:

Quote:
Arguably the best FPS in history... on a console, with the exception of Goldeneye & Perfect Dark.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
So is Killzone worth playing so that I can understand Killzone 2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenbuck1914
View Post

Fixed:

Perfect Dark > GoldenEye. I love GoldenEye, but Perfect Dark was just better.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
yeah i have the same issue with Killzone 2, was gonna take it back today for a full value trade in, but decided to hold onto it.

its one of the best looking if not the best looking console game thats for sure, and the gameplay is quite intense and a real atmospheric shooter...but best fps ever? DEFINITELY arguable.

anyways this analysis was pretty good i think. i dont see how its fanboy related? it may have blown a little too much smoke up KZ2's arse, but other than that, i say fair enough.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645
View Post

Perfect Dark > GoldenEye. I love GoldenEye, but Perfect Dark was just better.

I'd completely forgotten about Perfect Dark
, that was brilliant too. But Goldeneye always has that special place as the first fps on a console that I was addicted to

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Plus: Killzone 2 just launched: It's easily one of the best games of the generation, arguably the best FPS in history, and arguably the best PlayStation 3 exclusive to date. It's both intense and highly polished and is widely considered to be a must-play by most journalists and avid gamers. This should translate to the title being a legitimate system-seller, too, but we won't know that until we see an increase in hardware sales in the next stat report.

And yet I have yet to play the game.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My buddy bought killzone 2 yesterday and he came over yesterday while the wife was out.

I have to say that I HATE console FPS's. That is primarily due to my unfamiliarity with using a console controller for aiming (I'm piss poor at it). Despite this, I LOVED Killzone 2. The weapons seemed very balanced, and the game had a very stark realism to it without being too "real." Let me clarify this statement. The Call of Duty series has a very stark realism to the series, but that is greatly aided by historical relevance and all that nonsense, whereas Killzone 2 is "real" without being "real." It's very difficult to craft a believable sci-fi game and I think that Killzone 2 has nailed it.

PS: I played through the first half of the game with nothing but the SMG....God I love run and gun....

EDIT: I concur that Perfect Dark is the best console FPS of all time to date AND the best RARE game to date.

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r
View Post

My buddy bought killzone 2 yesterday and he came over yesterday while the wife was out.

I have to say that I HATE console FPS's. That is primarily due to my unfamiliarity with using a console controller for aiming (I'm piss poor at it). Despite this, I LOVED Killzone 2. The weapons seemed very balanced, and the game had a very stark realism to it without being too "real." Let me clarify this statement. The Call of Duty series has a very stark realism to the series, but that is greatly aided by historical relevance and all that nonsense, whereas Killzone 2 is "real" without being "real." It's very difficult to craft a believable sci-fi game and I think that Killzone 2 has nailed it.

PS: I played through the first half of the game with nothing but the SMG....God I love run and gun....

EDIT: I concur that Perfect Dark is the best console FPS of all time to date AND the best RARE game to date.

lol i get what you mean about the realism in the game, it is realistic in terms of its gameplay mechanics. i've only used the machine gun, not the SMG, the other one the bad guys have. i love the starting assault rifle but it always runs out of ammo, mostly due to the hard time i have aiming in this game.

i never got into Perfect Dark, having not owned a N64 but i would say Goldeneye 64 is the most widely accepted console FPS king. maybe coz it was one of the first successful ones. depends what you as a player want out of an FPS i guess.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Quote:

First of all, I haven't played KZ2. Don't plan to for awhile as I don't own a PS3 (the price needs to go down, but I really want one). But I find it hard to believe this statement when Metacritic says Killzone 2 is the 31st ranked FPS ever on any platform. Although it is true that it might be the best PS3 exclusive (I will still say MGS4 which I have played).

Source: http://apps.metacritic.com/search/pr...8&tfs=game_all

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes
View Post

what part of the article or anyones comments here make you even use the word fanboy? so early on in the thread and we already have someone sparking up the word..

Quit being so bloody defensive, I was referring to my own post, so as nobody would think I am trying to stir up trouble. If you have the intention of trying to start a flame war, forget it. I am out of this thread, before it inevitably turns into a flame war because of pricks like you being totally self-righteous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

That means, dont flame me for what I am about to say, despite how much you may or may not like it, as its the truth. And if you are referring to my calling PSX fanboys, how is it not? An entire site, dedicated to nothing more than PlayStation in all its forms... you cant possibly tell me they arent fanboys. Whether they are flaming fanboys or not isnt the point. I used the word in its literal definition, so no need to be upset. Just as xbox.com is 360 fanbous, so get over it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just my

I think this article is fairly true. They touched some key points in marketing, price and blu-ray. Blu-ray was a major factor when I bought mine (plus it came with metal gear). It just sucks that it cost alot and in these economic times that is a lot to spend on entertainment. Having said that, parents are less apt to buy one for their child or probably going the Xbox route. Either way, I believe the PS3 will start blossoming soon.

Goldeneye is the best.... EVAR! (proximity mines-Temple, power weapons-Bunker... nuff said) Perfect Dark was amazing, especially the Co-Op. I STILL play both of those games when my friends come back in town.

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
No Killzone 1 was a horrible game. If you don't have your ps2 connected with component cables then you cant see anything, the story is not that great either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts