Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just graduated from college and got a little bit of cash. I'm going to get some new toys.

What I think I'm going to do is get a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 board and a blue Phanteks dual tower heatsink (I feel it would play really nicely with my raven case). my budget is $400-$500 but closer to $400 is preferable.

Then I'm going to run down to microcenter and pick up either a i5 2500k($170) or the i5 3570k($190). the 2500k would hit $400 exactly with the other parts.

Which would you get?

I want to run it at at least 4.5ghz+, the temps I've heard ivy can pull worry me. it will push two 560's for now, and a 680 in the future maybe two in the far future.

Any suggestions appreciated
thumb.gif
and comment on the cooling and mobo as well.

Best regards.

ps: upgrade is for my sig rig, nothing else will change. and I only game on this computer.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
2500k is fine and I don't think you'll see much a difference from the 3750k as ivy wasn't much of an improvement.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so you think save the 20 bucks? whichever I roll with will be an upgrade from my phenom so its not like I will be going from sandy to ivy

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any body else?

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome, well no turning back on the mobo and phantek they just got ordered
thumb.gif

now for the processor, but I have till saturday before I can drive down to the center

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would just grab the 3570k as it's slightly faster than 2500k. Unless you only have $400 to spend, I don't see any reason why not spend that extra $20 over 2500k.
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: .theMetal

·
Registered
517 Posts
While it's true that you really don't need anything more than 2500k, I'd grab the Ivy Chip just because the price difference is negligible, and you'll be able to use some of Z77's features that are not available with a SB.
Is it a deal breaker? Nope. Are you going to notice the difference? Nope.
But it's 'future proofing' for $20. Go for it.

Btw - since you're coming from a Phenom, check to make sure your RAM is rated for 1.5v, and not 1.65v.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good point, my only worry is how much heat that thing seems to produce. I want to overclock the hell out of whichever I get, so heat is a concern. also summer is about to rear its hot ugly head. does anyone have any experience with the 3570k heat wise?

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking 2500, another question for future reference, will haswell run on an 1155? maybe i will consider it in the far future if I feel like upgrading.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

go for the 2500k, it will alow higher overclock than 3570k.
While the 2500k will probably reach higher clocks doesn't Ivy have 7% IPC improvement? I thought that is what I heard, which would mean the Ivy equivalent would need to run close to 4.2 to match, just food for thought.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .theMetal View Post

how come? I don't know a whole lot about ram.
this is my ram and it is 1.65v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173
Do you want to overclock to the max, or get maximum performance? Ivy Bridge is a worse overclocker than a SB, however it has an average (more in some, less in others), ~5% IPC improvement over SB. Thus a 4ghz Ivy = 4.2 ghz SB. If you study the benchmarks, it basically equals out if you're overclocking them on air. Ivy will run hotter, but will perform as well as the SB @ max stable overclocks.

LGA 1155 socket run 1.5volts through RAM. Iirc, the maximum is about ~1.6v, so if your RAM needs 1.65 on stock, you may encounter stability issues on stock, or with the mildest overclock.

It looks like Haswell will be on LGA 1150 socket, different from Sandy/Ivy.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what will happen is I will stick with my hpyerX till it causes problems and probably get some of that samsung ram that everyone raves about in a few months.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz View Post

It's recommended to use 1.5v ram for SB but I use 1.65v on mine. Even made a thread about it before I bought, it's fine.
thats exactly what I wanted to hear thanks friend

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks everyone for your help I appreciate it greatly, I honestly don't think I'll decide which proc to get till I'm at the store with both of them in my hands
rolleyes.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts