Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Is it okay if I pump my pump above my res in my loop? I've heard you want your res the highest point in the loop but I don't know why that is. Does it have to be?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

If your pump is higher then your reservoir, then it will be harder to fill, and start the system for the first time

Because the water has to go against gravity and up the pump tubes right? Does this mean it is impossible or can it be done with some difficulty? I am having some problems fitting everything in my case. My pump would only be at max 5 or 6 inches above the res.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Connect everything then bleed the setup with the pump under the res. Once all of the air is out you can mount it above the res.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

Connect everything then bleed the setup with the pump under the res. Once all of the air is out you can mount it above the res.

Yea that's what I was just thinking about doing, thanks, I will do that.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
If you want optimal flow and pressure, you would have the resivoir be the highest point as well as the lowest point of the system. This is because of some crazy dynamics stuff...

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerohour

If you have any other problems with the setup ask and we'll help.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

The point of having the reservoir above the pump is partly because of performance (want the pressure going into the pump), and partly to prevent air bubbles. If there is a stray bubble in you proposed system, (there almost always is, mostly in the radiator), and your pump is the highest point, or if you mount it the wrong way, the bubbles get into the pump, which makes a loud noise. The worst case scenario is if the bubble is big enough, it gets caught in the pump impeller housing, which will cause the pump to stop pumping water. That is not what you want to happen.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Because the water has to go against gravity and up the pump tubes right? Does this mean it is impossible or can it be done with some difficulty? I am having some problems fitting everything in my case. My pump would only be at max 5 or 6 inches above the res.

the main problem is, that pumps arn't self priming. So to start your pump you must already have water inside the pump and the tubing. Then it'l pump fine
But since your pump would be above the reservoir, that would make you have to come up with a way to get water into the pump and lines to begin with.

And about air bubbles in your pump. As long as your setup is good, all air bubbles will be gone within a few seconds and you'l never see them again. A t-line may have varyed results though

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
You could always just put your case on the side to prime it for the first time then just tip it up (maybe???) I have everything "velcroed" in the case for easy removal, never had a hassle with it falling off.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22

i personally would not recommend it- the pump will perform better with it being below the res and it makes setup that much easier (which is good becasuse it can be a pain in the butt ocasionally)

Just curious as to what your logic is behind it performing better?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
It will be fine once the bubbles are out. Try it outside of the case first and then go from there. If you do everything right it should be ok.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Quote:

Just curious as to what your logic is behind it performing better?

any pump that requires its own force to pull a column of water up into the pump and also then to push it out will not perform as well as one that has a column of water that has a larger driving head (raised above the pump)

all in all in a system like this it wont be as much of a issue as a large scale system but.....

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22

any pump that requires its own force to pull a column of water up into the pump and also then to push it out will not perform as well as one that has a column of water that has a larger driving head (raised above the pump)

all in all in a system like this it wont be as much of a issue as a large scale system but.....

If you think about it, the pump will be pulling up then pushing down. We're talking about a foot of needed pull. That's not a big deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts