Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I <3 narcissists
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new water cooling project that is going to be a little more demanding than my norm. I will have 5 water blocks and 3-560mm radiators, spread out across a 7 foot (213 cm) tall case. I don't have all the details worked out yet so I'm not sure if the blocks will be in series or parallel or how much tubing there will be in total, but I want to run 2 pumps that are capable of getting the job done on their own if the other goes out.

I plan to have the cooling system powered separately from the computer and it got me thinking about 120v pumps and 24v pumps. I don't have any experience with either one. Also, I will be making the reservoir so I could do a submerged pump as well.

Suggestions?

·
I can count to potato
882 Posts
Head pressure will be more important than flow rate with how high it's going and how many blocks etc... A pair of DDC in series would likely outperform Ehiem pumps in this setup.

There are more powerful 120v options like little giant pumps, but they are loud.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would DDC's be better than D5's? I had a ddc pump once and got rid of it because it was louder than the D5 I had.

I have used dual D5's in all my previous water cooling setups, I was thinking I would need to go bigger for this. I will be making the reservoir because I want it to be large, I have some 1/2" acrylic that I should be able to tap for g1/4 fittings. I would rather not have the pump directly attached to the reservoir for maintenance reasons.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Would DDC's be better than D5's? I had a ddc pump once and got rid of it because it was louder than the D5 I had.

I have used dual D5's in all my previous water cooling setups, I was thinking I would need to go bigger for this. I will be making the reservoir because I want it to be large, I have some 1/2" acrylic that I should be able to tap for g1/4 fittings. I would rather not have the pump directly attached to the reservoir for maintenance reasons.
With what you are saying here, @M3TAl made a great recommendation with using multiple MCP50X. They perform very similarly to a Laing DDC, but without the heat and noise issues. Some good info on them here - Swiftech MCP50X Pump

·
I <3 narcissists
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. They will also fit inside the 3" aluminum channels that will make up the sides of the case, and at that price I can get a third for draining!

·
Registered
566 Posts
D5/MCP655 for reliability and longevity. With a pump top, they are not that far behind a DDC355/MCP35X. I have one still running from 8 years ago.

With what you are saying here, @M3TAl made a great recommendation with using multiple MCP50X. They perform very similarly to a Laing DDC, but without the heat and noise issues. Some good info on them here - Swiftech MCP50X Pump
The impeller retention and bearing design used is not as good as the Laing pumps from what I can tell. It appears to be similar the Alphacool VP755 design. I don't know specifically of any issues with the Swiftech MCP50X and a quick google search isn't picking anything up but I was a bit leery of trying one out my last pump upgrade. That said, I don't think the performance is matched by many other pumps on the market; definitely a very strong pump!

·
Registered
177 Posts

The most powerful pump´s are DDC 3.2PWM or DDC 3.25 analog, in reality same strong both.I have both with EK Dual Turbotop in serial you get over 10m.
Not necessary for full power my 3.25 is a little bit quiter as the 3.2 PWM, but the PWM you can better regultae.
It give´s some more powerful pump´s, but only if you want to get really loud^^.The D5 is not so strong like the DDC but i think 2xD5 is also enough.

Here with 2xMora 420, 1xTechN CPU 1200socket, 1xEK 3080 and 1x RamBlock. max.RPM is 4500

·
I <3 narcissists
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am going to give the MP50x a shot. The numbers seem good and the size is just right for me to be able to print a mount that fits it inside the rails I am using. Being 12v is a little more convenient as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts