Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning to setup an external HW Labs GTX 560 and just wondering how important reservoir capacity will be. I will have my EK Quantum Kinetic 200 in the case with an EK PE 360 radiator. For the external GTX 560 I'd really like to build a flat style reservoir/pump combo into my radiator box/stand but those EK FLT are so damn expensive. I saw this new product from Alphacool which is more reasonably priced but is only 200 ml in capacity: Alphacool Rise Flat Reservoir D5 with VPP755 pump Thoughts?

Edit: I will also consider a tube style reservoir to attach to my radiator box but it has to be one with a sturdy mounting system. My thoughts on the flat res is it would be more sturdy.

Edit 2: What pumps can be fitted to the SC Protium reservoir?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Reservoir capacity doesn't matter a lot. It will just heat up and cooldown a bit quicker. If you already have a reservoir inside the case, you don't need a reservoir near your external radiator and pump unless it's a separate loop.

If it's 1 big loop with a pump near the external rad, I recommend to start up the loop with the internal pump until the loop is primed and the big bubbles are gone. Then you can start the second pump without any issues.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reservoir capacity doesn't matter a lot. It will just heat up and cooldown a bit quicker. If you already have a reservoir inside the case, you don't need a reservoir near your external radiator and pump unless it's a separate loop.

If it's 1 big loop with a pump near the external rad, I recommend to start up the loop with the internal pump until the loop is primed and the big bubbles are gone. Then you can start the second pump without any issues.
It will be one big loop but as the tube runs from the main PC case to the external rad could be quite long I figured it could do with some extra push from a second pump. Flow rate could drop to sub optimal with just the one pump...

Whoops, I think you meant have two pumps but no need for two reservoirs?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It will be one big loop but as the tube runs from the main PC case to the external rad could be quite long I figured it could do with some extra push from a second pump. Flow rate could drop to sub optimal with just the one pump...

Whoops, I think you meant have two pumps but no need for two reservoirs?
Yes, indeed. 2 pumps will help you, but 2 reservoirs are not needed. The easiest way is to connect the second pump to your pump/res combo. Then the first pump will prime the second and headpressure will be doubled.

If you prefer to mount the second pump near the external radiator, it is also possible but be careful not to run it dry. Do bleed the loop with the internal pump and then connect the second pump. The second pump will suck water coming from the internal reservoir and also give extra head pressure. But because the pump is sucking, all bubbles needs to be gone first or the pump will run dry.

So if cost and compactness is an issue, just run the pump without reservoir :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if cost and compactness is an issue, just run the pump without reservoir :cool:
What do you mean here? You said a second res is not needed but here you seem to suggest only if cost is an issue?

·
Registered
802 Posts
What do you mean here? You said a second res is not needed but here you seem to suggest only if cost is an issue?
Sorry, English is not my mother language and I didn't mean that. I recommend to use only 1 reservoir.

Even if you use 2 reservoirs, one of the 2 reservoirs will get filled up over time by the strongest pump and it's basically just a very big piece of tubing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Astral85

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, English is not my mother language and I didn't mean that. I recommend to use only 1 reservoir.

Even if you use 2 reservoirs, one of the 2 reservoirs will get filled up over time by the strongest pump and it's basically just a very big piece of tubing.
Are there any other reasons to run the two pumps close together other than risk of running dry?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pumps in series double the head pressure
Does in series simply mean two pumps or are you referring to the proximity of the pumps?

·
Registered
41 Posts
In series means at least two pumps in the loop.

I have 3 setups with twin D5s. Two use the older style XSPC Twin D5 pump/reservoir combo (no longer produced) and the newer one is the EK Twin D5 Revo where you install a seperate tube reservoir above the revo housing.

My first XSPC Twin D5 is used on my 5960x/1080TI combo with waterblocks on both the cpu and gpu. I use 3 XSPC Version 3 480 rads all housed in a Thermaltake Core X9.

My second XSPC Twin D5 is housed in an older Corsair HAF932 case with both sides open. It has a 3900x/Radeon6800 combo both with waterblocks. It uses my wonderful MO-RA3-420 Pro as the radiator.

My third is the EK Twin D5 Revo setup with a 150mm tube rad above it. It is housed in a Fractal Define 7XL case with my 5900x/6950xt combo (Optimus cpu wb and EK fullblock and backplate on the new AMD reference 6950xt). I use a Corsair X9-480 rad (54mmthick) and a Hardware Labs GTX 360 rad (also 54mm thick)

Admittedly, I'm a twin D5 nut but I like them.

• Rep+

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the proximity of pumps in series affect the head pressure? I don't think I'm going to fit another D5 in my main chassis so it's likely going to have to be attached to the external radiator which will be roughly 30-60cm from the main case...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Astral85, I doubt it affects it much unless it is a very long loop.

• Helpful
1 - 12 of 12 Posts