Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang -

I'm after suggestions for a cylindrical res/D5 pump combo unit that I can bolt up into my case in place of the EK 140 Revo that was there. I say "was," and I'll explain that, and why I want to avoid future EKs.

My two independent loops are fed by a pair of EK 140 Revo D5 pump/res combo units. The 2+ year old pump running my CPU loop failed on me back in Feb of this year, so I bought another one. It was just over its warranty period, so figured I wouldn't haggle with EK about an RMA. I just sucked it up as a failure.

Well, the second one failed after four months. The symptoms:
  • Pump isn't making its normal "whirl" sound
  • Pump IS making a "click, click, click" noise every so often
  • Pump isn't moving anything through it (it's not turning)
  • Pump exploded something into the coolant line and the CPU block. It looks very much like bearing grease.

That CLEAR line is the results. Laying on a standard paper towel for white balance. That crud inside the line was also inside the CPU block and radiator.

I started the RMA process back on June 23rd. Here it is July 12th and it's still not approved. The EK rep, who is very slow to respond (once every 4 or 5 days) has asked for videos, photos, disassembly, etc. I've done most of what he's asked, but it's clear he hasn't actually watched the videos or looked at the photos because he's repeatedly asked me for videos of something I already uploaded. At this point he wants me to pull the impeller out of the pump, and I have no clue how to do that. I very much think I've done enough as a customer of a 4 month old unit.

My gut tells me that this RMA isn't going to get approved for some reason. My faith in EK's service and support side is basically at 0. Which is too bad because I fricken love most of their stuff. But it's clear to me, based on my experience anyhow, that I need to look elsewhere for a pump/res. I'd LIKE it if I could retain the same cylindrical setup. Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

·
I can count to potato
972 Posts
As far as pulling the impeller out of the pump, It's just held in by magnets. So if you just yank on the spinny part, it will pull right out of the motor assembly. They probably want to see if the ceramic bearing is toast on the pump that failed.

I love my Heatkiller tube D5 paired with an Aquacomputer D5 NEXT. It's possibly not a round enough aesthetic for you though. The Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 would be a solid option. One thing I like about both of these is that the tubes are glass not acrylic.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as pulling the impeller out of the pump, It's just held in by magnets. So if you just yank on the spinny part, it will pull right out of the motor assembly. They probably want to see if the ceramic bearing is toast on the pump that failed.
Thanks for that little suggestion. I had literally no idea it was that easy. Popped it out and found:

Strange marks on the silver of the impeller unit. Blue ink? Black.. something? Not sure really. Nothing like that was ever inside my loop.

The Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 would be a solid option. One thing I like about both of these is that the tubes are glass not acrylic.
I've always liked Aquacomputer's stuff. Unfortunately the only Ultitube D5 I can find in stock is the 200 unit, which I'm pretty sure is too tall for my case. The 150 and 100 units are out of stock.

·
Registered
717 Posts
D5 pumps are all built by Laing. Swiftech, Ek, Aquacomputer, etc... just rebrand the same pump. No bearing grease in these pumps, they just turn on the ceramic bearing. Not sure what happened with your pump :oops:

There are some pumps that are knock offs such as the Alphacool VPP755 pump which should be avoided.

·
WaterCooler
4,347 Posts
D5 pumps are all built by Laing. Swiftech, Ek, Aquacomputer, etc... just rebrand the same pump. No bearing grease in these pumps, they just turn on the ceramic bearing. Not sure what happened with your pump :oops:

There are some pumps that are knock offs such as the Alphacool VPP755 pump which should be avoided.
And the Corsair D5 pump which has half the flow rate of a real Laing D5.

·
Registered
717 Posts
And the Corsair D5 pump which has half the flow rate of a real Laing D5.
Some companies that included PWM controllers limited RPM's to 3000ish but the D5 is rated up to 4500 at 12v. They can actually run up to 24v.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for that little suggestion. I had literally no idea it was that easy. Popped it out and found:

View attachment 2517203

View attachment 2517204

Strange marks on the silver of the impeller unit. Blue ink? Black.. something? Not sure really. Nothing like that was ever inside my loop.

I've always liked Aquacomputer's stuff. Unfortunately the only Ultitube D5 I can find in stock is the 200 unit, which I'm pretty sure is too tall for my case. The 150 and 100 units are out of stock.
You can see plain as day where the failure happend (base of the pump making contact with the propeller), it was a faulty pump. EK will replace it just have to be very persistent. Dont be afraid to tell them politely how blind or stupid they are lol. I had to do this with my EK gpu blocks that were cut too deep and did not make contact on half of the die. (ya never doing business with them again) They basicly told me they did not understand the problem... was like LOOK idk what your doing there but HOW on earth do you not understand what is happening here lol. they wanted me to send in the block for repair LOL. so i ask him how would you repair missing metal from the block? after a few emails and more choice words they sent me out a new copper base plate for the block free of charge. but it took a few too many emails and me getting pretty aggressive with them to get it done. If they say sorry we cant or wont help you just threaten going public with how they treat you for the defective product. I have had far too many bad products from EK to ever want anything from them ever again.. Not only that but there cpu blocks suck really bad they have a huge point in the center of the cold plate to help make firm contact point with out using too much socket pressure. But this is not a good idea as cpu's use heat spreaders and if your only making contact with the tiny point in the center your not getting very good thermal transfer at all. Just about anything else on the market performs better LOL. yet people LOVE ek.. i dont get it. anyway best of luck with your replacement!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pump exploded something into the coolant line and the CPU block. It looks very much like bearing grease.
pretty sure thats just fine metal shavings from the metal on metal in the pump. (not sure what else it would be) probably want to also replace all the tubing as you wont get it all out, the rads can be cleaned pretty good and the blocks you can definitely clean up nice.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,802 Posts
Some companies that included PWM controllers limited RPM's to 3000ish but the D5 is rated up to 4500 at 12v. They can actually run up to 24v.
Ok....so we have two points of view here. One is that Corsair is using a less expensive model of the D5 with lower capabilities and selling it a price similar to fully capable D5s to increase profit margin. While you are opining that Corsair spent money on PWM circuit that would decrease the pump's performance while also decreasing their profit margin. Yeah, sorry, I'm going to have to go with the former on this one.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,610 Posts
My two independent loops are fed by a pair of EK 140 Revo D5 pump/res combo units. The 2+ year old pump running my CPU loop failed on me back in Feb of this year, so I bought another one. It was just over its warranty period, so figured I wouldn't haggle with EK about an RMA. I just sucked it up as a failure.

Well, the second one failed after four months
Any possibility of an external cause to force the pump(s) to fail? Two pumps failing doesn't necessarily help identify is a manufacturing / quality issue.

Am I missing something here?

You can see plain as day where the failure happened (base of the pump making contact with the propeller), it was a faulty pump.
How do you know it was the pump quality, without any external factors, that caused the base to make contact with the propeller? That may be the point of failure but it does not conclude it was the quality of the pump the lead to the failure.

I'm not denying your comment or theory. I am trying to be critical to best advise the OP.

I understand this may be hard to identify and even prove but I hope you can get some answers OP. Maybe start with reviewing what causes a pump to make contact with the propeller. Also, maybe some additional context. How complex is your loop? Any photos? OP, do you know what happened to your old pump that also failed?

Lots of questions... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any possibility of an external cause to force the pump(s) to fail? Two pumps failing doesn't necessarily help identify is a manufacturing / quality issue.
I'm not sure what external thing could be causing the fail but it's not outside the realm of possibility I suppose.

How complex is your loop? Any photos? OP, do you know what happened to your old pump that also failed?
The loop is fairly simple:

Pump/Res --> EK CPU monoblock --> Alphacool 480x60mm rad --> Pump/Res. The lines are soft/flexible tubing with Swiftech Lok-Seal QDs on them. I've no idea what happened to the old pump but I may still have it here somewhere (may have e-recycled it, will have to look). The failure seemed similar: a loud clicking noise without and water moving. However in the first case there was no residue in the lines or block.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,610 Posts
Have you read this thread? something is killing my D5 pumps and turns the coolant...

Edit: Cause looks identical. See overmarked screenshot of your pump. Highlighted the scratchies for you. I have to align with @Formula383 's response. Appears (initially) to be a fault with the pump. The thread shared above explains in further detail.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edit: Cause looks identical. See overmarked screenshot of your pump. Highlighted the scratchies for you. I have to align with @Formula383 's response. Appears (initially) to be a fault with the pump. The thread shared above explains in further detail.
Interesting. If that's the case than my GPU's Revo is, for all intents and purposes, running on "borrowed time"? The issue is that my pumps are newer than his and are using the tops that they suggested he purchase, if I'm not mistaken. Is there a chance they replaced one faulty design with another? And are now just finally moving past that since the Revo is a disco'd product?

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,610 Posts
I can't help you there. It's unclear if the new tops they recommend solve the issue. It's best to chat with EK and link that previous thread if you want to build an argument you can stand on. It has the emails embedded from EK which is the best thing you can share to help support your case.

Similar issue; Similar result. Damaged pump and silver/grey liquid.

Whether you want to proceed with getting another top / pump with them is up to you and the CS rep.

I migrated my D5 Vario (XSPC) to a EK-XRES 100 Revo D5** in 2018 or 2019. I don't have any issues to report.

**I reused my existing D5 pump (2013) and bought just the reservoir only. Hope that is clear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's best to chat with EK and link that previous thread if you want to build an argument you can stand on. It has the emails embedded from EK which is the best thing you can share to help support your case.
Thanks, I appreciate the digging and sleuthing. My RMA ticket has been opened w/them since the 23rd and it's going nowhere. I've tried PM'ing EKJake here, but I've heard nothing back from him either.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,610 Posts
No problem. I just took your issue, popped it into google, and oddly enough, the first result was an OCN thread :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem. I just took your issue, popped it into google, and oddly enough, the first result was an OCN thread
Yeah, I think using "D5" in the search would have been a good idea for me. I hadn't thought of that. ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts