Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me plan the best route to putting these pumps parallel. Or least a decent looking route. Feel free to suggest rotating the radiators, though I'd rather not.

Black Automotive design Office equipment Gas Audio equipment

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
An post with no comment. Where are the other veteran watercoolers on ocn lol.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd do something like this for parallel pump. Mount it to the mid divider. Keeping all your rads and current plumbing path the same. Similar to what I did for my res in a previous SMA8 build I did.

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Circle
White Light Product Material property Gas

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Robotic Chemist
4,477 Posts
I didn't like pumps in parallel. If one goes out you you get a lot of flow backwards through it, reducing flow in the main loop a lot.

They also seem to fight each other where they combine, at least my experiments with parallel pumps was not positive. The 'Y' join was not a good thing. Series or two independent loops is much better.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't like pumps in parallel. If one goes out you you get a lot of flow backwards through it, reducing flow in the main loop a lot.

They also seem to fight each other where they combine, at least my experiments with parallel pumps was not positive. The 'Y' join was not a good thing. Series or two independent loops is much better.
I have 6 pumps in total. There's a pair of Pump/res on the other side, along with those you see in series. By putting these pairs in parallel I'll get to double the flow as well. I should have enough head from the rest of the pumps that are already in series.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have 6 pumps in total. There's a pair of Pump/res on the other side, along with those you see in series. By putting these pairs in parallel I'll get to double the flow as well. I should have enough head from the rest of the pumps that are already in series.
Ah, series-parallel pumps! I think we talked about that in another thread

·
Robotic Chemist
4,477 Posts
By putting these pairs in parallel I'll get to double the flow as well.
It doesn't work that way. Where they recombine the pressure spikes and you end up with the same flow you would have had with just one pump.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Twin Turbski
1,607 Posts
It doesn't work that way. Where they recombine the pressure spikes and you end up with the same flow you would have had with just one pump.
So upgrade to larger tubing, wouldnt this resolve the pressure problem like you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So upgrade to larger tubing, wouldnt this resolve the pressure problem like you mentioned?
I'm not smart enough to understand how tubing would play a role.

From what I can find it is doable and is the better way when working with 4+ pumps.

·
Still here...
6,741 Posts
martins liquid lab got into this years ago:

Parallel pump setups are very clearly a poor choice for water cooling. Not only is the performance benefit very small and only some benefit for very low restriction loops, it also barely manages to provide enough pumping power for redundancy. Series setups give you double the head pressure of a single pump and that increased head pressure is tuned ideally for water cooling’s high restriction nature. I will caution that running two pumps in series and the resulting increased flow rate does work your pumps harder, so you should consider additional cooling particularly with DDC pumps. I would also advise that dual pumps is not something that will normally net large measurable temperature gains, it’s generally reserved for those that are in search of that last degree in performance…or for those with extremely large, complex, and restrictive loops.
anyway, i was reading up on it earlier today because of my current build and happened across a fairly good thread about the topic on anandtech:

(they discuss parallel as well in the thread)

Watercooling D5 pumps in series...loop order?

@Shawnb99 you need a bigger case :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts