Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Expert pin bender
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be offered a OLED65B7A for a really good price from a family/friend it appears to be brand new. My question is I heard they have permanent burn in image retention. I would use it for gaming @120hz or 4k for sure. Is this a bad idea, or should I continue to wait on OLED to get better?

I am curious if any OLED users have any input. I am very cautious on spending a lot of money for a TV for sure. Want to make a good investment in terms of reliability and quality of picture...

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
You will want to change some habits to be safe.

Don't store things on desktop, hide desktop icons and use taskbar shortcuts/folders instead, and definitely autohide the taskbar. I personally do not full screen windows either (you don't need to at 4K), so my browser is never in the exact same spot. Set screensaver to ~5 minutes for extra protection. Make sure to turn the TV off daily for at least 20 minutes so it can do it's IR cleaning cycle.

Been using 65" LG OLED TVs for ~4 years without burn-in. 12-15 hour gaming sessions with static UIs, and TV is usually on 12-15 hours a day. I also disable some anti-burnin features in the locked service menu, such as auto dimming and pixel shift. Make sure you actually have a setup that will support such a large display, you will want to sit at least 5-6 feet away.

Also make sure you label the HDMI input as "PC", and enable HDMI Deep Color on that port, otherwise you won't get 4K @ 60hz 4:4:4.

·
Expert pin bender
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will want to change some habits to be safe.

Don't store things on desktop, hide desktop icons and use taskbar shortcuts/folders instead, and definitely autohide the taskbar. I personally do not full screen windows either (you don't need to at 4K), so my browser is never in the exact same spot. Set screensaver to ~5 minutes for extra protection. Make sure to turn the TV off daily for at least 20 minutes so it can do it's IR cleaning cycle.

Been using 65" LG OLED TVs for ~4 years without burn-in. 12-15 hour gaming sessions with static UIs, and TV is usually on 12-15 hours a day. I also disable some anti-burnin features in the locked service menu, such as auto dimming and pixel shift. Make sure you actually have a setup that will support such a large display, you will want to sit at least 5-6 feet away.

Also make sure you label the HDMI input as "PC", and enable HDMI Deep Color on that port, otherwise you won't get 4K @ 60hz 4:4:4.

Thank you for your input, I originally wanted a 55inch, but hey 65inch what can ya say. I would sit at least 4 feet back I also don't like seeing dots. I have a feeling I will see then at 65inch but I'll try to sit back further.

120hz is true refresh not any trickery? The review on Rtings seems to indicate real 120hz.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Thank you for your input, I originally wanted a 55inch, but hey 65inch what can ya say. I would sit at least 4 feet back I also don't like seeing dots. I have a feeling I will see then at 65inch but I'll try to sit back further.

120hz is true refresh not any trickery? The review on Rtings seems to indicate real 120hz.
Only at 1080p will it do 120hz, 4k is 60hz only.

·
Expert pin bender
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only at 1080p will it do 120hz, 4k is 60hz only.
That's fine with me, some games are better at higher refresh and they usually don't need high resolution or settings either.

Looks like it's a done deal I'll be getting it tomorrow. Super stoked to finally get an oled. I hope it's as good as the hype.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts