Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of replacing r9 280x. Not sure which 970 to choose. Thought maybe somebody could help me choose.
I'm looking for 0 coil whine. I've had a 280 from msi and a 280x from xfx. Both had terrible coil whine.
Basically, I want cool and quiet. I don't really care about OC potential. I'm on 2560x1440 resolution and I won't really be overclocking the graphics card much, or at all. I don't really play very graphics intensive games ( Path of Exile, csgo, dota 2).
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

All reference GTX 970s are fantastic and the same card. Buy the cheapest one you can get, or go for the company with the best support warranty.

My vote would be EVGA because I am their fanboy.
Aren't 970 evga cards terrible this time around? something with the ****ty asic cooler?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Do not go EVGA if you want quite. I had two and they sounded like jet engines. Gigabyte Gaming G1 or MSI G4 are by far the best options.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post

Do not go EVGA if you want quite. I had two and they sounded like jet engines. Gigabyte Gaming G1 or MSI G4 are by far the best options.
Yeah, Evga is out of the question for me anyway. I know that g1 is very well regarded and might be even considered the best 970 card but it is more expensive and more of an overclocker's card. Again, I am not looking to oc.

I've read the coil whine on the msi 970 is common. my msi r9 280 has very bad coil whine, is it really common on the 970 cards as well?

I don't know whether to go with asus or msi.

·
I fix Stuff
5,416 Posts
Most 970s have coil whine but i have heard the Asus cards are least common for coil whine. Taking a chance either way. I bought msi 970 few weeks ago and have Zero coil whine, i got lucky.

As for cool and quiet my card never hits 70C and fan speed is always below 60%. can't even hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently upgraded to two Asus Strix 970's and I think they seem to be great cards so far. Quiet and cool. Then again I came from a reference 290 which was absolutely terrible in that regard. Asus gets my vote
thumb.gif

·
I fix Stuff
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBest View Post

If you're gaming at 2560x1440 , You might be better off getting a gtx 980..
Not worth the price increase IMO. I am gaming at 5760x1080 which is from what I remember slightly more demanding than 1440P and it's chewing through everything i toss at it.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I've had the Strix and the G.1 Both had zero coil whine but the Strix had terrible sag. Its backplate was more aesthetic than function from what I could tell. Both were very quiet too. The Strix shut its fans off under a certain temp too so it was passive (dead silent). Between the two, I felt the G.1 was the better card. Slightly cooler and no SAG! I hate a sagging gpu!

·
I fix Stuff
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

I've had the Strix and the G.1 Both had zero coil whine but the Strix had terrible sag. Its backplate was more aesthetic than function from what I could tell. Both were very quiet too. The Strix shut its fans off under a certain temp too so it was passive (dead silent). Between the two, I felt the G.1 was the better card. Slightly cooler and no SAG! I hate a sagging gpu!
MSI 970 also sags a fair bit.
frown.gif

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTheBest View Post

If you're gaming at 2560x1440 , You might be better off getting a gtx 980..
1440p is not as difficult to drive as it may seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

Not exactly sure what sagging is. The card not sitting in the slot properly? I don't think that would bother me at all as long as the card makes full contact with the motherboard connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally have the Galax Black Edition. No coil whine that I can hear, and doesn't even touch 70°C while overclocked. It also has excellent build quality.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sagging can happen with a few brands, they are pretty big cards. Some fishing line or smart zip ties placement with tension on the PCIe cable can sort that:

As for which one, there's been a few issues with some of the EVGA coolers as mentioned. A fan favourite on OCN is probably the GB G1 though some aren't so happier on the current revision as the memory was changed to Hynix and doesn't OC as hard, however, the benchmarking scores aren't being effected horrifically so it's probably not a massive deal. Personally I have the Asus Strix and I love it. OCs very well, super quiet, low heat and feels really well built. Pricing varies a little based on your location but even with that factoring in, I'd choose out of the Asus or GB. The MSI is good from what I hear but I haven't seen as much solid info/results on them and I've personally tested the Strix and G1 extensively (my rig, my partners rig). Out of the two, the G1 is louder but slightly (very slightly) cooler at load, probably 3 vs 2 fan related. The Asus has the built in option of not spinning at low temps though I don't use it with a heavy OC, prefer it to be cooled at all times, and the fans are well designed so you don't hear it, even at load @ ~1750rpm.

Not sure what else to add, but I'll tend to recommend from what I've tested mainly. If you have any other specific questions let me now
smile.gif

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by villain View Post

The cards from MSI and ASUS are considered the most quiet ones. All 970s have some sort of coil whine, here is a comparison. It's less of a problem with 980s, as you can see here.
Wow, that 970 video. This is exactly the type of sound that is driving me up the wall with this r9 280x. I don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykisser View Post

Wow, that 970 video. This is exactly the type of sound that is driving me up the wall with this r9 280x. I don't know what to do now.
Both of the 970's i've had did not have coil whine. Strix and the G.1. Was I lucky? Perhaps, but I typically buy my parts locally. The benefit of that is I can replace parts with minimal downtime.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:

FWIW I only get it when running back to back extreme benching. I am pretty sure it's about the same for most people too.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If EVGA is out of the question my money would be on Asus or MSI with the 970's. The STRIX looks like a wonderful card and so does the Gaming, only difference is price I assume. Asus has "meh" support according to the hate brigade, then again MSI has its faults but both should be fine in the end. I haven't had issues with EVGA and why I only buy them (plus they are in Cali, RMA's don't take long) but others have.

I sold my 970 from EVGA to a friend to replace his r9 280 and he's very happy with it and haven't heard coil whine much on it. Then again I was running some [email protected] during the time before I sold it which may have eased that. It overclocks around ~1450 MHz and 7500 on the memory and handles his games well. Destroys 1080p that's for sure and it didn't struggle much on my Swift when he came over recently. EVGA did come out with a newer 970 with an 8 pin+6 pin for power, probably in a way to compare to MSI with the Gaming cards. Hard choice for you trhough, and anyone in the market for a 970. I would go with GALAX though (not sure if we can get them in the states easily), those white PCBs are smmmmexy. http://www.galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-EXOC-Black-Edition-p/97nqh6dnb4tx.htm . HOF is expensive though
frown.gif

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:

In their comparison test they wrote that in most cases the coil noise was minimal once the card was in a closed case. If you're running stock or unregulated case fans, chances are you won't hear it. Unless you get a really bad one, but then you should have it replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts