Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys actually run P95 twice because you just want to be sure that it is stable? For all of you would be overclockers out there, I purpose a challenge. I do not see anyone who is more meticulous with stability than I. Just because you are 12 hours stable, doesn't mean all that much considering that you can only get some errors once you have reached the 16 hour mark. Stable is stable right? Then prove it. My findings are too that on SB and IB that you actually need to run P95 for two 24 hour runs back to back. While the first one will pass, often times the second one won't. This would mean you would need to do it again after the first passing after the second attempt failed. True, it would never probably crash in real world use, but once again, stable is stable so why wouldn't you want to be sure that it was stable even in testing and extreme load? So, try or don't, rerunning Prime95 and see if you are actually stable.

Edit: This was my 1,000th post, too!

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
I don't see a point in this. I ran my Prime for 12 hours proving my stability and to be honest, I don't even think prime is that good of a stability tester. I fold for about half a day to prove stability. I can sometimes pass Prime95 with no errors and yet still crash [email protected] Don't know why, but I think folding for a day or two or even more is a whole lot better. I actually wanna start folding more if winter started. Too hot in summer.

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post

I don't see a point in this. I ran my Prime for 12 hours proving my stability and to be honest, I don't even think prime is that good of a stability tester. I fold for about half a day to prove stability. I can sometimes pass Prime95 with no errors and yet still crash [email protected] Don't know why, but I think folding for a day or two or even more is a whole lot better. I actually wanna start folding more if winter started. Too hot in summer.
My case in point. Clearly more testing is needed as you are not stable.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Don't you mean "propose a challenge"? To "purpose" something is to give it meaning.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightUp View Post

Quote:

My case in point. Clearly more testing is needed as you are not stable.
I meant there were times like that, I have been running [email protected] for the past few hours and still no errors or crash. I do a 12 hour prime and when that is a baseline for my stability, I fold and see if it can actually last it. I mean if it can last folding for hours on end solving humanity's problem, then I'm pretty sure it can last playing games solving Captain Price's problems.

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttsol View Post

Don't you mean "propose a challenge"? To "purpose" something is to give it meaning.
Herp... You are right.
Quote:

I meant there were times like that, I have been running [email protected] for the past few hours and still no errors or crash. I do a 12 hour prime and when that is a baseline for my stability, I fold and see if it can actually last it. I mean if it can last folding for hours on end solving humanity's problem, then I'm pretty sure it can last playing games solving Captain Price's problems.
That's fine. But you still aren't stable unless whatever you do whenever you do it for no matter how long you do it doesn't cause you to crash.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Stability is just a state of mind, it is not definite or a fact. It can never be proven. At stock, people may run the chance of still crashing and running into instability problems with new CPUs, the act of stress-testing and finding that state of mind only lowers our chance of instability. Stability is a state of mind and like all things in the world, it cannot be a 100% chance because of the different possible scenarios.

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it is a piece of mind. But everything I throw at my machine doesn't cause it to crash. You cannot say the same. Do it or don't. My challenge is proposed to those who want to never crash doing whatever. Most people run P95 once for 12 hours and call it good. I see that being silly. Increase voltage a little more if it crashes a 2nd run and make it a little more stable.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Please edit the title. Sheesh.

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post

Please edit the title. Sheesh.
Can't. Moderator. . . help?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it is a piece of mind. But everything I throw at my machine doesn't cause it to crash. You cannot say the same.
I can say the same. At least so far. Yay for Otter!

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you run P95 twice to see if it crashes or errors out? Because I am guessing that it will crash on the second go if you upped the voltage by .1 until it was stable.

·
Custom User Title
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, stable isn't stable if you cannot reproduce results.

Sure Schmuckley. Give me your unit. I have access to LN at work. That shouldn't be a problem!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:

No, stable isn't stable if you cannot reproduce results.
what results? My rig appears to be producing results. Right now it's letting me type stuff. It does other stuff too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I get the stability testing, I really do... but when it comes down to it, many people have issues with games or [email protected] that prime does not brin out. IF you can go a week or weeks/months doing what you do regularly without a hiccup, I would consider that stable.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
my computer is undergoing a comprehensive stability test that involves performing various personal computing tasks over the course of 2-3 years. I'll let you know the results when completed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts