Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just updated my system for the first time in a while and got into overclocking, at the moment Ive clocked my intel q6600 G0 up to 3.4 ghz at 1.3v and my memorys at 600mhz. It idles at around 28-34c and wont pass 56c on full load.

Ive done a few long tests for stability and it seems fine but as my RAM is terrible and I used it from my old system I was wondering if I could take it up to 3.5 whilst keeping the ram at 600mhz.

I currently know absolutly nothing about overclocking the ram, all I know is that I need to increase it occasionally when overclock the cpu to keep it stable, I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me.

CPU-z Screenshots:

and

I have 3 lots of 1GB of an unknown brand to me, Ill be getting some newer stuff when I can afford it but I have to make do for now.

So my question is:
If I take it up to 3.5ghz and adjust voltages on the cpu etc like I normally would and the system is unstable because of the ram, is it safe for me to take it higher that "600 mhz" and is there anything else I can do with it to retain stability?

Thanks guys
-Eddie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha Thats why I bought it, I read a few hundred forum pages before getting it and it seemed the best choice...

And I was thinking of doing that but I was concerned of tempratures seeming as generally higher voltage higher temprature and I dont really want it passing 65 on full load.

Also does the memory speed have any connection with CPU speed? ie: if I had low memory speed but high CPU speed would I have problems?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
780i as with other nvidia based boards, can run processor and ram unlinked. You can keep your ram at 600mhz with a 4ghz processor if you wanted to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im at unlinked at the moment,

but when I first clocked it up to 3.4ghz with my ram at 530 it was unstabled till I upped it to 600..

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay Now im confused,

I set my memory to 590 and in when the FSB is 1512 with a multiplier of 9 it boots fine,with a core voltage of 1.36 but if I try 1515 it wont boot it goes back to 2.40 ghz stocks settings...

Is this to do with the memory or voltages I cant figure it out..

Cheers

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Did you just ask if you should OC something more? on OverClock Network?!!!

have you tried 1513/1514? sometimes it just cannot go further, it varies from chip to chip. but the Q6600 G0 should be doing a little better then what you have on a 780i

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try that in a moment, but will memory speeds that worked before prevent booting when clocked speed has changed?

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried 1513 and 1514 and then 1516 - 1514 was the only one out of the 3 that didnt work, so im kind of confused... Any explanation?

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I seem to have isolated that the problem is memory..

I currently have it at FSB 1600 and Memory 610mhz any higher or lower the pc refuses to boot ( on the memory side ) and any higher on the 1600 it wont boot but occasionally it gets past the boot check...

Any tips on how I can get up to 4ghz without buying new memory for the moment?

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to bump topics but I really could do with some help

As I said before:

I currently have it at FSB 1600 and Memory 610mhz any higher or lower the pc refuses to boot ( on the memory side ) and any higher on the 1600 it wont boot but occasionally it gets past the boot check...

Ive been experimenting more with this and I am still getting the same problem, and I also foudn with these settings its still not as stable as I thought.. It can handle quick stress tests but when I try using a DVD converter or high usage apps it locks up and reboots...

New Ram?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Memory at 610? Hm, that's not a known good strap. Is the RAM so old you can't take it to at least 667?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could give it ago but im guessing it wont work..

Ill report back when Ive tried it

thankyou!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some weird results..

Pushed it up to 667 and it booted fine then I tried bumping up the FSB speed a little and it wouldnt boot again, so I put it back to 1600 and it didnt boot, tried again ( still with 667 instead of 610 ) and it booted the second time..

Im guessing its definitly a problem with ram as its the only outdated component left inside my pc pretty much..

Any more info? and whats the general rule for "straps"?

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
I`d try upping Vcore a notch. And find out the stock RAM speeds and timing. Gives you better input on what youre working with.

See you like In Flames BTW. GREAT band!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
The northbridge is responsible for transferring data between your CPU and memory. And as you've noticed, each side (FSB, RAM) runs at different frequencies. The job of the NB is to get data across in both directions when each side is at different frequencies. The problem is this only works within certain frequency ranges. These ranges where it works are colloquially called straps.

Unlinking your RAM can let you work outside the straps sometimes, but you will run into so-called FSB holes, where the NB cannot get the FSB and RAM into sync no matter what. But this can get you higher RAM OCs. Since your RAM is so slow there's no benefit to running unlinked and you can probably set it back to linked and then just choose an appropriate divider to get the frequency you need.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I should also say that with a 400 FSB (1600 QDR) and 667 DRAM your CPU is going to stall waiting for memory reads since the RAM is incapable of keeping up with the FSB. This is going to negatively impact your performance and you'll see only the slightest gains over a 333 FSB (1333 QDR). You will want at least DDR2-800 for this FSB, and preferably DDR2-800 you can OC a bit, just in case you decide you want to push the FSB past 400.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope still no luck ive tried all sorts..

My current settings,

VCore 1.475 ( actually 1.41 with vdroop )
FSB 1600 MEM 667
FSBV 1.4v
nForce MCP ( 1.55v )

Ive tried stepping up from 1600 with these settings and im not getting anything, im going to stay at 3.6ghz now till I can afford some new ram as it seems to be my problem XD

If you notice anything about my settings above that arnt require please let me know, Im still new to overclocking (Y)

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts