Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be mounting my MCR-320 internally at the top of my Obsidian 800D when I get it, and I was wondering what the best way to set the fans was. Fans connecting the top of the case to the rad, pulling air in or pushing it out? Rad connected directly to the case with fans below it, pushing or pulling?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
do both. fan internally pushing air and fans on the outside pulling air.

im gonna eventually do that with mine. three medium speed fans pushing and three triebwerke feser fans with a shroud on top pulling air. that mcr 320 is no that thick so maybe you can put push pull inside the case maybe?

·
Registered
629 Posts
In general low speed fans will work better pulling. High speed fans do better pushing. Medium speed fans (~1500rpm) perform the same in either configuration. What kind of fans are you using? Check this out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Always set up your fans to move fresh cool outside air thru the rad. Internal case air temps are usually at least 2-3 C higher than outside air, so never use that air thru the rad. Sometimes they can be even higher, and greatly reduce cooling efficiency if used to cool the rad. I prefer case/fan/rad myself with the fans pushing air thru the rad because it runs a little quieter, but either way works fine.

andyc

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
I use a pull for my MCR320 at the top of my 800D. Was a ##### to install though haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx
View Post

In general low speed fans will work better pulling. High speed fans do better pushing. Medium speed fans (~1500rpm) perform the same in either configuration. What kind of fans are you using? Check this out.

This also.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, this would be the most efficient setup?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supacasey View Post

Yep, that's about as good as it's going to get with that case. Should make for a pretty good build. Good luck and have a blast.

andyc

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supacasey View Post

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5701/800dwc.jpg
Just a word of warning, I'm not sure with the rad you have, but with GTX 360 the screws they provide you for mounting fans are not long enough to go CASE -> FANS -> RAD - you have barely 1 maybe 2 threads sticking out from the fans after going thru the case, etc. You should probably check the thread size for the screws on your rad, and get yourself some longer ones to be safe if you want to mount it in that orientation - I'd tell you the exact length but I have not done it myself yet. Not to mention most likely the screws are silver - and who wants silver screw heads sitting up on the top of your black case - its sacrilege!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most of the fans I use are open corner. I attached the fans to the rads with shorted screws (I always tap the rad holes out to 6/32 as the right size screw lengths are usually easier to find in that size), then attach the rad/fans combo to the case using the holes on the other side of the fan. I like tapping the holes attaching the fans to the case out at 10/32 and using cap head screws, Just easier to mount everything like that instead if fighting the fans/rad and case all at one time.

andyc

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm already using some 1-1/4" screws that are long enough to hold the dust filters and my YL High's against the rad and then some, think those would still work?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supacasey
View Post

I'm already using some 1-1/4" screws that are long enough to hold the dust filters and my YL High's against the rad and then some, think those would still work?

You'll have to try um a see. Try doing a dry fit and that should tell you everything you want to know. Then you can adjust if needed.

andyc

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally putting all this together now, necro bump for any more opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supacasey
View Post

Finally putting all this together now, necro bump for any more opinions.

I had an mcr320 in a push setup with 3 ultrakazes, had to run them at 2000rpm minimum for temps to be acceptable. Then later on I used 6 vantec stealth fans 1500rpm in a push pull and the temps were about the same. When I cranked the ultrakaze setup to 3000rpm, the temps were great, but the noise was intolerable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts