Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
If you cannot do push-pull fan config on the rad and can only do either push or pull, which one is better?
I thin that pushing the air throught would be best it will allow for greater cooling in most parts of the radiator, pulling would make it even cooling, but then it could alse be pulling air from behind the radiator.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
If you cannot do push-pull fan config on the rad and can only do either push or pull, which one is better?
taking the heat away from the rad is more effective.. think about the radiator of a car.. the fan(s) are behind the radiator and pull the air thru it to cool it down..

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed
taking the heat away from the rad is more effective.. think about the radiator of a car.. the fan(s) are behind the radiator and pull the air thru it to cool it down..
But with a car it also has the wind being pushed through it at the velocity that the veicle is moving, the fans only really have to use the fans when the vehicle is parked.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Pulling seems to give better air flow (ie: the dead spot at the centre of the fan doesn't affect you as much) but pushing just feels like it's got more power (the instinctive 'oomph').... So best bet is to either just experiment, or base it on the standoff between the fan and the rad: if the standoff is fairly large, either should do well, but if the standoff is fairly small then I believe pulling could perform better.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
true. think about a front mount intercooler w/o fans. only air pushing through it. even though i vote to mount the radiator flat and have the fans pulling air upward.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Here is how I see it.

Pushing guarantees that all air from the fan will be projected straight through the radiator.

Pulling has chances of pulling air from the gaps in between the coils and in the small space between the fan mounting and radiator mounting.

View the pict to see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostnhell
Here is how I see it.

Pushing guarantees that all air from the fan will be projected straight through the radiator.

Pulling has chances of pulling air from the gaps in between the coils and in the small space between the fan mounting and radiator mounting.

View the pict to see what I am talking about.
Good point. Yet another reason to experiment. But I still stand by my (educated) SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) that pulling is better in a configuration where the standoff is minimal. Either way, we're still beating air!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah, ure right....if there is no standoff, then u want a pull config, but if your having a shroud with a space between then puysh is the way to go. i experimented with my heatercore, and found pushing is more effective...at least for me...but only about 2* anyways

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would think there wouldne't be any difference, as long as both setups are exactly the same...

If your push setup uses 3/4" shroud and its 100% sealed, then a pull setup using a 3/4" shroud and being 100% sealed should pull the same ammount of air....

at least thats how I think it works...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

I would think there wouldne't be any difference, as long as both setups are exactly the same...

If your push setup uses 3/4" shroud and its 100% sealed, then a pull setup using a 3/4" shroud and being 100% sealed should pull the same ammount of air....

at least thats how I think it works...

It would be the same with the full shroud and perfect sealing, but without the seals and the shroud or even a flawed shroud the pulling method would not work as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.