Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am going to replace all the fans of my case, since most of them are veeery noisy. I found the Nidec GT for only 11€ each, and that's a good price IMHO. I'm thinking about installing them at my rad and put the Noiseblockers at my case. But then I said "Hey, what about leaving the Noiseblockers and making the rad push/pull?".

If Push/Pull is worth it, what I am going to do is let the Noiseblockers pull and the Gentle Typhoons push. Then I'll put some SlipStreams or Yates at the case.

Is it worth it leaving the Noiseblockers and making the rad Push/Pull, or I won't really notice the difference?

My loop is CPU and GPU (X3 (unlocked to X4, soon it'll be a X6 or BD) and 470 (extremely OC'd)). Probably I'll add motherboard with my next motherboard upgrade. I don't think about SLi, not in this year, nor the next.

Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
You will get maybe a 5-7c temp drop. I wouldn't have one fan pulling the other though, it wares them out faster. Have the same kind of fans on each side for push pull.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcommon
View Post

So, in order to do Push/Pull I must have same fans?

Generally, yes. If you have two different fans but they have CFM ratings within 5% of each other and similar static pressure then you will be okay, but by far the easiest way is with identical fans.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcommon View Post
So, in order to do Push/Pull I must have same fans?
You don't have to, it will just make your fans last longer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you get the GTs I suggest you get the GT 1850 version and maybe control the speed with a fan controller. The 1850 can be regulated down to 400-600 RPM and they are not even noisy at 1850 imho.

/Nordar

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
You will get maybe a 5-7c temp drop. I wouldn't have one fan pulling the other though, it wares them out faster. Have the same kind of fans on each side for push pull.
thats why your an aircooler

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever actually done a push/pull setup with water cooling? If not, don't tell people it's a 5-7C drop. It isn't. 2-3C is more reasonable. 5C is only going to happen if you have a seriously under sized radiator like fastsite.

It's "WEARS" not "WARES". Also can you link to some proof that it WEARS fans out faster?

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the first I hear about fans wearing out due to push-pull configuration, and I have been on OCN for a loooong time before I recently started to post.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Have you ever actually done a push/pull setup with water cooling? If not, don't tell people it's a 5-7C drop. It isn't. 2-3C is more reasonable. 5C is only going to happen if you have a seriously under sized radiator like fastsite.

It's "WEARS" not "WARES". Also can you link to some proof that it WEARS fans out faster?
He means having different fans on either side. If they are not the same cfm then one fan could potentially stop the other fan from even turning due to the difference in speeds. However if they are close in cfm then there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I don't think that using two different fans would cause the weaker one to wear out quicker.

Computer fans are power by DC electric motors, if they are pushed past their maximum RPM, they will continue to put out their maximum power at the new RPM. DC Motors have no set speed that they try and run at, only a set wattage. The RPM of a DC Fan is determined by the opposing forces of the motor and the friction from the air, thus if the friction of the air is reduced by the more powerful fan, the weaker fan will continue to run, albeit at a higher wattage. This is also why you should never run a water cooling pump without a load as the unrestricted electric motor will accelerate the pump to RPMs where permanent physical damage will occur. (10k+ RPM)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

undersize

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I've seen people on ocn with those temps. Maybe you are using different fans, but thats what I've seen them get.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I've seen people on ocn with those temps. Maybe you are using different fans, but thats what I've seen them get.
Go find Martin's flow rate estimator spread sheet. It also calculates Water/air delta. In a majority of cases (sufficiently large radiator compared to heat load) it's a 2-3C difference going push/pull. In my personal setup I noticed a 3C drop. It's not because of my fans. If anything, I should see larger gains than most people since I run a considerably large heat load (1.6V Phenom X4) for a 240 rad with the fans at only 600RPM.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

Go find Martin's flow rate estimator spread sheet. It also calculates Water/air delta. In a majority of cases (sufficiently large radiator compared to heat load) it's a 2-3C difference going push/pull. In my personal setup I noticed a 3C drop. It's not because of my fans. If anything, I should see larger gains than most people since I run a considerably large heat load (1.6V Phenom X4) for a 240 rad with the fans at only 600RPM.
you should but amds run cooler so you might not see as much drop as intel

·
Registered
75 Posts
you know another set of in series pumps that have drastically different static pressures but still manage to last a long time?

the heart.

right ventricle is low pressure
LV is high pressure (5-6x pressure in most people, even in gross RV hypertrophy it's still 2-3x).
=
no problem
(now mix up the sides-ie uncorrected transposition of the great vessels-and you'll get problems...but even that'll last 40 years w/ a big old ductus arteriosus)

OP the pair of fans that you mention will be fine in push pull. temp drop will depend on how air starved your fans are now-if it's quite restrictive, you'll see a bigger drop.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fastsite View Post
you should but amds run cooler so you might not see as much drop as intel
Yeah it's no 4.5ghz i7 monster but it is still around a 200w load, which is quite a bit for a 240 rad with 600RPM fans.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts