Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, what's typically the best config on a rad mounted internally. I hear some say pull and then some push
Which config, results in better temps and less maintenance (removing fans to clean the rad). What about noise issues. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Oupavoc
View Post

does it matter that much on the rad and fans used?

Of course. You have to pick the right fans for certain rads.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
You probably don't need that much to get effective cooling out of the TFC360 but it won't hurt. You can always undervolt the fans (connect them to a fan controller and run them at a lower speed) to find the best balance of noise and cfm that works for you.

Pull definitely seems to suck in less dust ...or maybe it's just all settled inside my shroud
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
ok but are the panaflos overkill for that rad?

You mean the Fesser, not really, any rad will do better with more cfm. It just flattens out faster with Fesser,PA,Swifty. They don't scale as well with it as a GTX or BIX, Bonnie..etc

Any of them you have to have a certain amount of air flow to cool well. A Fesser with 47cfm fans isn't going to touch a GTX with 86cfm fans, the Fesser would do better then a GTX would with those same 47cfm fans on each.

Take a look at Martins rad calc's..The PA and Fesser and GTX are all in there. Radiator Thermals and Radiator Calculators - Martin

Put in your OC wattage and the fans rpm that you want ot use, a little bar graph will pop up on the bottom, thats your rad out to room ambient deltas, keep that at a 5C and under for good OC'ing cooling.

There is a shroud option in it also, shrouds can give you up to a 20% cooling boost.

But that will give you a real good idea of the cooling potential of the rad types with various fans on them. I'm pretty sure he used 120x38mm fans in that testing at 1700RPM and above.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

I'd use the second ones since they are 120x38mm fans.

How much of a load are you going to have on your rad?

As of right now I'm only cooling the cpu (Q6600 G0) I will push it to the max, that I can. Currently at 3.4GHZ at 1.25 vcore. I could prob do better when I tweak it. But I took my loop off for upgrades, and using air right now. But later on I will want to cool the NB (X58 Foxconn bloodrage or Gigabyte Extreme) and down the road maybe the GPU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Oupavoc
View Post

As of right now I'm only cooling the cpu (Q6600 G0) I will push it to the max, that I can. Currently at 3.4GHZ at 1.25 vcore. I could prob do better when I tweak it. But I took my loop off for upgrades, and using air right now. But later on I will want to cool the NB (X58 Foxconn bloodrage or Gigabyte Extreme) and down the road maybe the GPU.

OH OK...You can figure your CPU OC wattage here... Vision CPU Wattage Calc

Then I think you can get close to your GPU wattage by using a PSU calc.eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 .Just figure it without GPU then add the GPU and see how many more watts the PSU would need for it.

A NB wont be much, maybe 30-50W at most.

Then you could use that wattage in Martins rad calcs and see what RPM fans you would need to stay under a 5C rad out with. I'd add 50 or a 100W to the figure just to be on the safe side.Radiator Thermals and Radiator Calculators - Martin -

Me I'd just go with the 120x38mm fans and use a controller if noise is a issue with you.Turn them down when you don't need it and up when you do.

Shrouds if you have the room for them will give you a good boost in cooling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I'll take your recommendation and give the panaflo's a try, if I don't like them I'll just get something else. There isn't a big price different so it's not a big deal. Hopefully my fan controller can handle those bad boys. scythe kaze master, maybe one fan per channel should do. Also will try them in pull for the pros. Ok thanks everyone reps + for all... oh ira-k invisible rep+ for you mate
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Oupavoc
View Post

Ok, I'll take your recommendation and give the panaflo's a try, if I don't like them I'll just get something else. There isn't a big price different so it's not a big deal. Hopefully my fan controller can handle those bad boys. scythe kaze master, maybe one fan per channel should do. Also will try them in pull for the pros. Ok thanks everyone reps + for all... oh ira-k invisible rep+ for you mate


I like cookies..
..Hey those Pana are only around 6W each, so if each channel on the controller can handle 20W you could run 3 on each channel.
If each channel is only 18W just run a couple of them on it.etc..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

I like cookies..
..Hey those Pana are only around 6W each, so if each channel on the controller can handle 20W you could run 3 on each channel.
If each channel is only 18W just run a couple of them on it.etc..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811998038

looks like my fan controller can handle 1 amp per channel so that's 12 watts/ 12volts. So this mean to be safe one fan per channel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811998038

looks like my fan controller can handle 1 amp per channel so that's 12 watts/ 12volts. So this mean to be safe one fan per channel.
At 12W on each channel you should be able to run 2 of those 103cfm Pana. I'm going by the wattage rating on these...Panaflo 120x38mm 103cfm High Speed FBA12G12H1BX by NMB-MAT

Quote:
120x120x38mm, 103.8 CFM @ 2500 RPM, 41.5 dBA, 5.52w, 460 mA, 12v DC, 3 pin Panaflo tail to standard 3-pin connector included. This model is BX and does support TACH output.
So that would just squeak you by with 2 of them on each channel. If you don't need the other channels for anything I'd just run one on each if you would like to.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top