Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my OS wont boot properly at 124 Mhz.. its a 1.7 p4 and its up to about 2.07 Ghz... temps are ok still and its set a 1:1 running 2 sticks of 256mb. have i reached my limit?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Tried more vcore? Could also be your board doesn't have AGP/PCI locks.

any suggestions on the vcore? and my boards an asus P4P800S

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Could be either of Yiffy's suggestions, and possibly the RAM that's limiting you, as well. If you could post CPU-Z screenies (of CPU and RAM tabs) and let us know what RAM you have, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Could be either of Yiffy's suggestions, and possibly the RAM that's limiting you, as well. If you could post CPU-Z screenies (of CPU and RAM tabs) and let us know what RAM you have, that would be helpful.

RAM is PC 3200

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Do you know what timings the RAM is rated for? I don't think it will make a difference, as you are not yet even running at the RAM's rated speed, but it wouldn't hurt to change CAS Latency from 2.5 to 3, just as a tester. All in all, that's not a bad initial overclock on a Williamette. The most my old 1.6 ever did was 2010 mhz...and then it died.
You might want to try some more vcore, if you can adjust it. Stock vcore should be 1.75, so you should be safe up to 1.85v. Also, do you have a PCI/AGP lock? If you don't, then I would say this is most likely going to be the ultimate limiter, regardless of what else you do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Do you know what timings the RAM is rated for? I don't think it will make a difference, as you are not yet even running at the RAM's rated speed, but it wouldn't hurt to change CAS Latency from 2.5 to 3, just as a tester. All in all, that's not a bad initial overclock on a Williamette. The most my old 1.6 ever did was 2010 mhz...and then it died.
You might want to try some more vcore, if you can adjust it. Stock vcore should be 1.75, so you should be safe up to 1.85v. Also, do you have a PCI/AGP lock? If you don't, then I would say this is most likely going to be the ultimate limiter, regardless of what else you do.

alrighty thanks for all the help, i shall try upping the vcore. where can i go from here if i do have a PCI/AGP lock?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

After locking PCI/AGP, the aforementioned tweaking of RAM timings and vcore adjustments would be your next steps.

awesome. this is my first ever OC so if i cant go any further im happy with the results.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my vcore is up to 1.85 . will this now allow me to up my FSB?/ also not too sure if i have a PCI/AGP lock, i can change the frequencies tho?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

After locking PCI/AGP, the aforementioned tweaking of RAM timings and vcore adjustments would be your next steps.

no sign of being able to lock it... but i can change the frequencies, same with DDR reference voltage and AGP VDDQ voltage.

which freq. for AGP/PCI:

66.66/33.33
72.73/36.36
80.00/40.00

?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by closter12

no sign of being able to lock it... but i can change the frequencies, same with DDR reference voltage and AGP VDDQ voltage.

which freq. for AGP/PCI:

66.66/33.33
72.73/36.36
80.00/40.00

?

You want 66.66/33.33. Im pretty sure it should be default

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realm_walker

You want 66.66/33.33. Im pretty sure it should be default

yep it was on auto before... boo. anyhow this is what im looking at now. not too bad for my first OC .

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Especially on a willamette core, those things are just blah for overclocking. I got my 1.8 willamette to 2.25GHz, but it was a little unstable because my board didn't have AGP/PCI locks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
lol sry if this sounds noobish but could he not raise his fsb to 200 and lower his multi for the same clock speed and a better FSB? *this is assuming both his mobo and RAM support 200FSB would this cause issues? just wonderin...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

lol sry if this sounds noobish but could he not raise his fsb to 200 and lower his multi for the same clock speed and a better FSB? *this is assuming both his mobo and RAM support 200FSB would this cause issues? just wonderin...

my "512mb" is 2 x256.. and only one of them is rated at 200Mhz, i think the others only 166.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Intel processors have the multipliers locked, can't change them.

Ahh ic, are they unlockable like some AMD procs? or are they like my da*n sempron *glares at it* and its not unlockable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by closter12

my "512mb" is 2 x256.. and only one of them is rated at 200Mhz, i think the others only 166.

Ahh ic, this would hold you down then, but you could still go for that instead of 125. but after hearing about the multi lock then maybe not... I do amd, not intel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Intel processors have the multipliers locked, can't change them.

yeah i never touched that

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Ahh ic, are they unlockable like some AMD procs? or are they like my da*n sempron *glares at it* and its not unlockable.

Ahh ic, this would hold you down then, but you could still go for that instead of 125. but after hearing about the multi lock then maybe not... I do amd, not intel

I have never seen nor heard of anyone successfuly fully unlocking a P4. You can buy engineering smplaes off ebay sometimes that are fully unlocked though. On the new Prescott cores, some motherboard makes have exploited a flaw in the CPU identifcation bit that allows the use to select either a x14 multiplier or the stock multiplier, but that's it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts