Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I spec out a loop that can handle a 920 D0 at 4ghz+, how hard would it be to add in 1xGPU or 2xGPU cooling later? I'm looking for a completely internal solution in a full tower.
 

·
I TeK things...
Joined
·
17,428 Posts
From my experience putting a GPU under water yielded little to no performance increase, however, it is much quieter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
It wouldn't be hard if your RAD and pump can handle it, just drain and add some tubing / fittings. The main concern I see is the GPU adding heat to the i7 (if you're going to run 1 loop).

I also agree with what Bluedevil has said.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,510 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by bluedevil
View Post

From my experience putting a GPU under water yielded little to no performance increase, however, it is much quieter.


+1. My experiences are very much the same. Some GPUs run hot and like water, but most run cooler and quieter under water, but show little or no performance gain. If you are volt modding, etc. that is a different story.

I currently run my 2 GTS250s and my i7 860 on a single loop with a 360 rad on top and a 240 on the bottom. Everything is internal. Check out the build log in my sig for details. My system runs about 65 degrees folding 7 threads on CPU and folding both GPUs. CPU running @ 3.8GHz and GPUs stock core clocks with shaders jacked up.

Quote:


Originally Posted by tK FuRY
View Post

It wouldn't be hard if your RAD and pump can handle it, just drain and add some tubing / fittings. The main concern I see is the GPU adding heat to the i7 (if you're going to run 1 loop).

I also agree with what Bluedevil has said.

Adding a second rad will help alleviate the heat build up, although the 920s run as hot as many gpus...lol you might have the 920 adding heat to your gpu.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Glacialis
View Post

If I spec out a loop that can handle a 920 D0 at 4ghz+, how hard would it be to add in 1xGPU or 2xGPU cooling later? I'm looking for a completely internal solution in a full tower.

In which tower?
Normally the addition of a single GPU block + radiator (even single 120 rad) makes no difference to the CPU-block performance.
Give some more info about the case.. the gpu that you are planning to cool and the other loop (pump, tubes)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bluedevil: I knew it'd be quieter but won't water help with overclocking the GPU?

tK FuRY: I haven't purchased anything for the loop yet, but I will make sure there's enough res/rad capacity to keep the i7 cool with lots of overhead to spare. I'm paranoid that way.

nckid4u: No volt mods for me! First time modder/overclocker for...well, anything, and volt mods are a liiiittle out of my comfort zone.

carrion: I'm still not set on the tower. I want to be able to laser cut the side panel and, being the paranoid sort, order spare side panels. Not all towers have spares available. Initially looking at the PC-X2000 'cause I like the look of it, but it's a bit pricey and I don't know if I can get the Lian Li version here in the states. I don't like the ABS logo on the Canyon 695. Still open to other designs, but some of the mods I'm doing to the side panel will determine what I get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gauvenator: My stomach rebels against your avatar. Bravo! Also, I hate putting heatsinks on components that are physically small. Hate. So water it probably is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacialis View Post
Gauvenator: My stomach rebels against your avatar. Bravo! Also, I hate putting heatsinks on components that are physically small. Hate. So water it probably is.
haha inorite
if you get a full coverage block you wont have to worry about the heatsinks tho

of course the d-tek gfx fusion v2 is very low resistance versus full coverage (iirc)...which is great, but then you need heatsinks hehe

i ended up using a thermal epoxy on the ramsinks because thermal tape sucks pretty much...didnt want metal objects falling on my soundcard lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
I thought about this myself as well. In the end I didn't think the price justified cooling 275's in sli. I think you will be much happier WCing just the i7 and probably with better temps too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,195 Posts
In my situation, putting my gtx 260 under water made a big impact on how well it can overclock. I couldn't get anywhere near my current clocks on air. Now with my gtx 275, I have no clue. I never used the stock cooler, I took it off before I ever powered it on.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top