Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just moved my PC into a new case h440. Whenever I try to start it up the PC will turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. It will then repeat this until I turn the power supply off. So I went try to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and I didn't miss anything. I even went as far as unplugging all of the cables and hooking them back up. If I hold down the power button the computer will stay on but will not post. The last thing I tried was removing the mother board battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Is there anything else I can try? And does this sound like I may have damaged something?

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
I would remove the motherboard from the case, recheck every connection, put only one DIMM and run the MoBo . If it runs, then something with the case is happening, like grounding.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
Sounds like the board is short circuiting so i agree remove the board from the case and try and boot it outside.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I had something similar happen when I built my current rig. Try unplugging the power and reset connector and starting the rig without them connected. In my case (no pun intended), it turned out I had the power connector plugged in backwards.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Or could be that your board is touching the metal of your case some where. Check you mobo standoffs. My very first build I ran into this problem.

Turned out I needed the motherboard standoffs.....I didn't know what those things were at time....and screwed the motherboard directly to the chassis.....Luckily the board was smarter than me and shutdown and rebooted every time I pressed power. Awwww......good times.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFinside View Post

I would remove the motherboard from the case, recheck every connection, put only one DIMM and run the MoBo . If it runs, then something with the case is happening, like grounding.
Ok so I tried this and I kept the cpu aio connected and it still does the same thing. Should I try this without the cpu aio? I don't have any other cooler if I do so that's why I left it plugged in

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I had something similar happen when I built my current rig. Try unplugging the power and reset connector and starting the rig without them connected. In my case (no pun intended), it turned out I had the power connector plugged in backwards.
I did try this. My motherboard has a power button on the board so disconnected the case plugs and it still did the same thing.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terreos View Post

Ok so I tried this and I kept the cpu aio connected and it still does the same thing. Should I try this without the cpu aio? I don't have any other cooler if I do so that's why I left it plugged in
I don't think the AIO cooler is the culprit, looks like an issue with the PSU, recheck connections on both PSU ends and remove the GPU just to check if it still loops. Also clear the CMOS...and beware of ESD !

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

I don't think the AIO cooler is the culprit, looks like an issue with the PSU, recheck connections on both PSU ends and remove the GPU just to check if it still loops. Also clear the CMOS...and beware of ESD !
Ok so I tried without the gpu and checked connections. Same thing. I went one step further and tried one of my other psu and it didn't help.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
Quote:

Ok so I tried without the gpu and checked connections. Same thing. I went one step further and tried one of my other psu and it didn't help.
Then its either RAM or the motherboard itself.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Have you cleared CMOS ? Maybe your MoBo is doing something wrong with the power supply. As Shilka suggested try other DIMMs. Also make sure your cooling system is working properly (reseat it), could it be overheat shutdown? If nothing works, time to RMA..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Then its either RAM or the motherboard itself.
Quote:

Have you cleared CMOS ? Maybe your MoBo is doing something wrong with the power supply. As Shilka suggested try other DIMMs. Also make sure your cooling system is working properly (reseat it), could it be overheat shutdown? If nothing works, time to RMA..
Tried the other ram sticks, and tried resetting cmos a few times. Sadly still nothing. And I tried reseating the country cooler. Does seem to be it either. So time to call up MSI and get a new board? ?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,414 Posts
Sounds like a dead board

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:

Tried the other ram sticks, and tried resetting cmos a few times. Sadly still nothing. And I tried reseating the country cooler. Does seem to be it either. So time to call up MSI and get a new board? ?
Too bad, at least you tried everything you could. Good luck on the RMA.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Too bad, at least you tried everything you could. Good luck on the RMA.
Well I'll have to wait until Monday because it seems MSI doesn't work on the weekends. ?

They really lost points with me because of that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts