Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
It allows you to fill the res and feed the pump. Otherwise, you might fill the res and no water gets to the pump. If you run a pump dry, it will burn out the motor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
And I always mount the pump so it's below the res, or at least level with it, never above. I never want the pump to fight or struggle for feed. They are meant to be gravity feed.

andyc

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The pump when it's started demands a great deal, having the REZ prior to it on the shortest length of tubing will assist the demand greatly.

Also, if your cooling loop has a bunch of restrictions, having the pump right after the REZ can help eliminate pump cavitation problems.

That's my 2 cents worth.

• Rep+
Reactions: windfire

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds like folks have covered the bases. However, you don't have to use a res and can use a T-line also, in which case you still have to make sure the pump has a ready supply of water when filling up. This is why people that use t-lines usually install them right at the pump inlet.

You can put a res other places besides at the pump inlet, but you have to know what you are doing to make it work, so it is the norm to make things work and make them easy to keep the res at the pump inlet. In some builds it can become very difficult to put the res at the pump inlet.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by windfire
View Post

Putting your res before your pump is a generally accepted practice.
What is/are your reasons?

Imho, it is a must.

Note that the reservoir can be below the pump once the loop is filled and flowing, but it will need to be above the intake of the pump when initially filling the loop.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Imho, it is a must.

Note that the reservoir can be below the pump once the loop is filled and flowing, but it will need to be above the intake of the pump when initially filling the loop.

For gravitational purposes

·
Banned
435 Posts
The pump adds a small amount of heat into the loop. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees?????? I am not sure but if you can put the rad after the pump you will have slightly better temps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drdeath View Post
The pump adds a small amount of heat into the loop. Maybe 1 or 2 degrees?????? I am not sure but if you can put the rad after the pump you will have slightly better temps.
For instance with the MCP355, you are only talking about 18w or so, which is insignificant and definitely not 1-2 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts